February 20, 1984
|Height||2.00 m (6 ft 6 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||110.6 kg (244 lb; 17.42 st)|
|Reach||77.2 in (196 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Muay Thai|
|Fighting out of||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Team||Chakuriki Gym (2005–2013)
Vos Gym (2013–present)
|Years active||8 (2003–present)|
Hesdy Gerges (born February 20, 1984) is a Dutch kickboxer of Coptic descent, fighting out of the Vos Gym in Amsterdam, Netherlands. He held the It's Showtime World Heavyweight title until January 28, 2012. Gerges has competed in the K-1, It's Showtime and SUPERKOMBAT promotions and is currently signed to GLORY. As of 10 November 2014, Gerges is ranked the #6 heavyweight in the world by GLORY.
Biography and career
Born in the Netherlands, he began training in kickboxing in 2001. He joined the Chakuriki Gym and trained under Thom Harinck who has also trained Badr Hari. Gerges was a notorious delinquent outside of the ring who, according to Harinck, was even worse than Badr Hari.
On October 2 Gerges was a fan voted fighter to fight at the K-1 Final 16 in Seoul, South Korea. He fought four-time and current champion Semmy Schilt. Although fighting very well in the 1st and 3rd round against the much favored Schilt Gerges lost by Majority decision. Because he was only two points away from a draw and had battered the legs of Schilt like no other fighter had ever managed to do before he was chosen to fight at the finals on December 11, 2010 in a reserve fight against Yusuke Fujimoto. This was Fujimoto's retirement match and Gerges won by TKO (3 knockdowns).
However in 2011 Gerges was not over impressive in his performances, despite going 2-1 by beating Daniel Ghiță and Chris Knowles. He lost to Rico Verhoeven by a narrow split decision in a superfight at the SUPERKOMBAT Fight Club.
On January 28, 2012 he lost to Ghiță in the rematch, by first round knockout. As a result he lost his Showtime Heavyweight Title.
He faced Sergei Lascenko at the K-1 World Grand Prix 2012 in Tokyo Final 16 on October 14, 2012. He was able to block the majority of Lascenko's punches while battering the Ukrainian with low kicks, and took the unanimous decision victory.
At the K-1 World Grand Prix 2012 Final on March 15, 2013 in Zagreb, Croatia, he faced Ismael Londt in the quarter-finals and bowed out from a broken nose in round three after receiving a flying knee from Londt.
He lost to Errol Zimmerman by third round TKO in the tournament reserve match at Glory 11: Chicago - Heavyweight World Championship Tournament in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States on October 12, 2013.
He defeated Ewerton Teixeira by unanimous decision at Glory 13: Tokyo - Welterweight World Championship Tournament in Tokyo, Japan on December 21, 2013.
His half brother was arrested May 2010 in a warehouse in Belgium that contained 128 kilos of cocaine. Hesdy was already out of the picture in the investigation of 2010, but for some reason the investigation had stalled and he was put back in the picture on February 15, 2011. There was no cocaine or any weapons found in Hesdy residence. His trainer, Thom Harinck spoke with the Dutch Metro News on February 21, and outright said, "Hesdy has been framed. He wakes up at 7:30, at 10:00am he trains with me, rests in the afternoon, then in the evening does strength and conditioning and is in bed by 10:00 PM. I cannot imagine that he still would have time for things like this."
On February 25, 2011, Hesdy Gerges was released from Belgium police.
At the beginning of May 2011, Hesdy was extradited to Belgium to be dealt with as the Belgian authorities suspected that the trafficking ring was going through Belgium. On May 13, 2011, Hesdy was released again and stays with his claim that he is 100% innocent." Gerges sentenced to 54 months in prison following cocaine conviction http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/11/21/7264135/hesdy-gerges-cut-glory-sentenced-to-54-months-in-jail-cocaine-arrest-kickboxing
- 2010 It's Showtime World Heavyweight champion +95 kg
- 2009 World Full Contact Association (W.F.C.A.) (K-1 rules) super heavyweight world champion +95 kg
- 2009 V.I.P. Fight Night tournament runner up
- 2008 W.F.C.A. European champion
- 2008 W.F.C.A. Benelux champion
- 2007 W.F.C.A. Thai-boxing super heavyweight Dutch champion +95 kg
47 Wins (22 (T) KO's, 23 decisions, 2 disqualification), 14 Losses, 1 Draw
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
- "Fighter profile". www.superleague.tv. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "Hesdy Europees Kampioen", November 12, 2008, De Echo (Dutch)
- K-1 official profile K-1
- GLORY Heavyweight Rankings: November
- "It's Showtime Reports from the Netherlands : Interview with Hesdy Gerges", Fumiyasu Endo, May 19, 2010, J Sports Press (Japanese)
- "K-1 World GP 2010 Final : Bout 6 : Superfight - Hesdy Gerges vs. Yusuke Fujimoto", December 11, 2010, Sports Navi - Yahoo! Japan (Japanese)
- Daniel Ghita flattens Hesdy Gerges to win It's Showtime Heavyweight title
- K-1 Final 16 Matches Unveiled
- K-1 WGP Final 16, Finalized Fight Card For This Sunday, October 14
- K-1 World Grand Prix Final 16 Live Results
- SuperKombat WGP Final: Live Results, Watch Here
- K-1 WGP Final 8 Match-Ups
- K-1 World Grand Prix 2013 Live Results
- K-1 World Grand Prix Final 8 results and LIVE kickboxing coverage from Zagreb, Croatia TODAY (March 15)
- Final Fight 06: Gerges vs. Zhuravlev on June 14th
- Final Fight 06 Results
- FFC 6 Results: Hesdy Gerges Defeats Pavel Zhuravlev, Jurkovic Victorious Against Dzeved Poturak
- Hesdy Gerges and Ben Edwards to Fight for GLORY
- Hesdy Gerges vs. Errol Zimmerman Added to GLORY 11 Chicago
- GLORY 11 Chicago Live Results and Discussion
- Glory 11 Results and Recap
- GLORY SuperFight Series Tokyo and GLORY 13 Spoilers
- Glory 13 Results and Recap
- Glory 15 Results and Recap
- GLORY 15 Results/Pictures: Saki wins title, Spong suffers horrific leg injury
- Qabala Fight Series #1 Results
- Qabala Fight Series #1 Videos
- "Badr Hari waarschuwt Gerges", May 29, 2010, De Telegraaf (Dutch)
- "Topvechter in cel om drugs", February 16, 2011, Het Parool (Dutch) or "Kickbokskampioen Gerges cel in om drugshandel", February 16, 2011, Trouw (Dutch) or "K1-vechter Hesdy Gerges vast voor drugshandel" [K1-fighter Hesdy Gerges held for drug trafficking]. AT5 Nieuws (in Dutch) (Amsterdam). February 16, 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
Hij wordt verdacht van betrokkenheid bij de handel in 128 kilo cocaïne (He is suspected of involvement in the trafficking of 128 kilos of cocaine)or "K1-kampioen gepakt voor cocaïnehandel", February 16, 2011, De Telegraaf or "K1-vechter Hesdy Gerges vast voor cocaïnehandel", February 17, 2011, Algemeen Dagblad (Dutch) or "Kickbokser verdacht van handel in 128 kilo cocaïne", February 16, 2011, Elsevier (Dutch) or "Hesdy Gerges Arrested For Drug Trafficking" by Dave Walsh, February 16, 2011, LiverKick.com
- "Hesdy Gerges to Be Released Within the Week, Says Thom Harinck" by Dave Walsh, February 21, 2011, LiverKick.com or Gerges is er ingeluisd", February 21, 2011, Metro (Dutch)
- "It's Official: Hesdy Gerges Will Be Released and Fight Daniel Ghita on March 6th" by Bernie Connors, February 24, 2011, LiverKick.com
- "Hesdy Gerges Released Again" by Rian Scalia, May 13, 2011, LiverKick.com or "Kickbokser Hesdy Gerges op vrije voeten" [Kick boxer Hesdy Gerges is free]. AT5 Nieuws (in Dutch) (Amsterdam). May 16, 2011. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
Gerges zal direct na zijn vrijlating naar Nederland reizen. (Gerges will travel to The Netherlands directly after his release)
- Gerges en Wilnis bereiken halve finale in China(Dutch)
- Hesdy Gerges pobijedio na Kunlun Fightu(Croatian)