Heung Yee Kuk
Emblem of the Heung Yee Kuk
|Headquarters||Kowloon Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong|
|Agency executive||Lau Wong-fat, chairman|
|Heung Yee Kuk|
|Literal meaning||Rural Council|
Colloquially shortened to 'the Kuk', the powerful organisation comprises representatives of each rural committee.
The Heung Yee Kuk was established in 1926, to "work and negotiate with the government to promote the welfare of the people of the New Territories". It was given formal status by the Heung Yee Kuk Ordinance (Chapter 1097), first enacted 11 December 1959 (originally as 45 of 1959).
- Bridge Builder, Christine Loh, Civic Exchange
- HKBU receives HK$1 million to publish history of Heung Yee Kuk N.T., HKBU Communications Office, 28 April 2011
- Official Website of Heung Yee Kuk (Chinese)
- full text of the Heung Yee Kuk Ordinance (Chapter 1097)
- New Territories Heung Yee Kuk Yuen Long District Secondary School website