Heworth Grange Comprehensive School
|Type||Community comprehensive school|
Tyne and Wear
|DfE URN||108407 Tables|
Heworth Grange Comprehensive School is a specialist Visual Arts College and comprehensive high school in the Gateshead area of Tyne and Wear, England. As of 2010, the school is undergoing a major rebuild as part of the 'Building Schools for the Future' scheme. It educates students aged 11–18, including a sixth form. The school has attained specialist status as an Arts College. The Headteacher is Chris Richardson.
There were proposals to merge the school with Thomas Hepburn Community School. however such plans were curbed in the early stages. Instead, Heworth Grange has merged its Sixth Form with Thomas Hepburn Community School. This, combined with vocational courses available from Gateshead College forms a partnership called "Sixteen East" and allows students from Heworth Grange and SureStart access to vocational courses.
The Science and technology block was completed in 2011 and the new Entrance block which contains admin and dining and refurbishment of arts facilities was completed in March 2012. The older of the two sports halls was refurbished in December 2012.
Key Stage 4
In Year 10 students will begin to follow 2-year GCSE/BTEC courses. There are many options of subjects which a student may wish to follow. Most students will study a combination of GCSE and BTEC.
Heworth Grange has a sixth form on the complex that is available to internal applicants or external applicants. No specific qualifications are required to study but most departments advise at least a grade C in the relevant subject or English and Maths.
In December 1998, a student died of brain damage following a playground fight. A 15-year-old was eventually acquitted of his manslaughter at Newcastle Crown Court. A memorial dedicated to pupils exists on the campus to remember them.
Awards and achievements
- Princess Diana Memorial Award, for charitable work
- Healthy Schools Award
- Artsmark Gold award (Since 2006 and ongoing)
- "Heworth Grange Comprehensive School - School report". Ofsted. October 4, 2012. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- "North gets 10 more specialist schools in bid to raise standards", The Journal, January 28, 2005
- "Cash for 'schools of the future'", BBC News, 12 February 2004
- "Swipe-cards to aid pupil safety", BBC News, 25 September 2007
- "Deaths in school - A history of school violence", The Guardian, November 5, 2003
- "School fight lad, 16, dies", The People, December 20, 1998
- "About us", Heworth Grange Comprehensive School