Carbon hexafluoride, 1,1,1,2,2,2-Hexafluoroethane, Perfluoroethane, Ethforane, Halocarbon 116, PFC-116, CFC-116, R-116, Arcton 116, Halon 2600, UN 2193
|Molar mass||138.01 g.mol−1|
|Appearance||Colorless odorless gas|
|Density||5.734 kg.m−3 at 24 °C|
|Melting point||−100.6 °C (−149.1 °F; 172.6 K)|
|Boiling point||−78.2 °C (−108.8 °F; 195.0 K)|
|Vapor pressure||2.967 MPa at 20.1 °C
3.0701 MPa at 21 °C
|Supplementary data page|
|Refractive index (n),
Dielectric constant (εr), etc.
|UV, IR, NMR, MS|
Except where noted otherwise, data is given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C (77 °F), 100 kPa)
|what is: / ?)(|
Hexafluoroethane's solid phase has two polymorphs. In the scientific literature, different phase transition temperatures have been stated. The latest works assign it at 103 K (−170 °C). Below 103 K it has a slightly disordered structure, and over the transition point, it has a body centered cubic structure.
Table of densities:
|State, temperature||Density (kg.m−3)|
|liquid, −78.2 °C||1608|
|gas, −78.2 °C||8.86|
|gas, 15 °C||5.84|
|gas, 20.1 °C||5.716|
|gas, 24 °C||5.734|
Vapor density is 4.823 (air = 1), specific gravity at 21 °C is 4.773 (air = 1) and specific volume at 21 °C is 0.1748 m3/kg.
Hexafluoroethane is used as a versatile etchant in semiconductor manufacturing. It can be used for selective etching of metal silicides and oxides versus their metal substrates and also for etching of silicon dioxide over silicon. The primary aluminium and the semiconductor manufacturing industries are the major emitters of hexafluoroethane.
Due to the high energy of C-F bonds, it is very inert and thus acts as an extremely stable greenhouse gas, with an atmospheric lifetime of 10,000 years (other sources: 500 years) and a global warming potential (GWP) of 9200. A calculated atmospheric lifetime range of 500 to 10,000 years has been reported. Atmospheric concentration of tetrafluoroethane is 3 pptv (increase by 3 pptv since 1750). However, it has a strong absorption potential in the infrared part of the spectrum. Radiative forcing is 0.001 W/m2. Its ozone depletion potential (ODP) is 0.
Hexafluoroethane is listed in IPCC list of greenhouse gases.
- Fluorocarbon, Perfluorocarbon
- Bozin S E et al. (1968). "Growth of ionization currents in carbon tetrafluoride and hexafluoroethane". J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 1 (3): 327–334. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/1/3/309.
- Purification process of hexafluoroethane
- Protocol for measurement of tetrafluoromethane and hexafluoroethane from primary aluminium production
- Ab initio vibrational analysis of hexafluoroethane C2F6
- Protocol for Measurement of Tetrafluoromethane (CF4) and Hexafluoroethane (C2F6) Emissions from Primary Aluminum Production
- Dynamics and structure of solid hexafluoroethane
- Thermochemistry data table at chemnet.ru