||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Number of the beast. (Discuss) Proposed since November 2014.|
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (derived from Ancient Greek roots ἑξακόσιοι [hexakósioi, "six hundred"], ἑξήκοντα [hexékonta, "sixty"], and ἕξ [héx, "six"]; literally meaning "fear of [the number] six hundred (and) sixty-six") is the fear that originated from the Biblical verse Revelation 13:18, which indicates that the number 666 is the Number of the Beast and the number of his name, linked to Satan or the Anti-Christ.
A prominent example is Nancy and Ronald Reagan who, in 1989, when moving to their home in the Bel-Air section of Los Angeles after the 1988 election, had its address—666 St. Cloud Road—changed to 668 St. Cloud Road.
Some women also expressed concern about giving birth to a child on June 6, 2006 (06/06/06).
Another example of hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia comes from the Dutch Christian organisation Stichting Opwekking ("Revival Foundation"). When their songbook would have reached the number 666 in May 2007 they decided to skip the number "because of the sensitivity amongst people". Another reason for excluding this number was that it would be the last song of that year: they release new Christian songs in their Revival songbook every year around Pentecost and the number 666 would be on the front page of their songbook. As a result the Revival songbook skips from 665 to 667. Christian critics described this exclusion as a superstitious act.
A more recent example came in November 2013, when Codie Thacker, a cross-country runner at Whitley County High School in Williamsburg, Kentucky, refused to run in her Kentucky High School Athletic Association regional meet, forfeiting a chance at qualifying for the state championships, when her coach drew bib number 666.
- "Greek Numbers and Arithmetic". Math.tamu.edu. 1996-02-05. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "St. John's Revelation. Chapter 13". Ellopos.net. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Kottler, Jeffrey; Chen, David. Stress Management and Prevention: Applications to Daily Life. Cengage Learning. ISBN 978-0-495-11785-8.
- Prayer vigil targets Devil's Day BBC News. Monday, 5 June 2006, Accessed 21 September 2007
- "THE REAGANS: First Family Easing Into Private Life". Los Angeles Times. Nov 19, 1988.
- Ni, Ching-Ching (May 21, 2011). "In Arcadia real estate, 4 is a negative number". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-05-21. "Supporters say changing building numbers isn't such an unusual thing. After all, they say, when President Reagan left office, he and Nancy took up residence at 666 St. Cloud Road in Bel-Air but had the address changed to 668 to avoid the 'number of the beast.'"
- Allen-Mills, Tony (April 30, 2006). "Mothers expect Damien on 6/6/06". London: The Sunday Times.
- Drukte bij Opwekking om getal '666' Kerknieuws.nl
- Er komt geen Opwekking nr. 666 Ichthus Groningen Forum
- "Whitley County Cross Country Runner Refuses To Run After Being Assigned "666" Number". Lexington, Kentucky: WLEX-TV. November 4, 2013. Retrieved November 6, 2013.