Hey Baby (After the Club)
|"Hey Baby (After the Club)"|
|Single by Ashanti|
|from the album The Declaration|
|Released||October 16, 2007|
|Format||CD single, music download, vinyl|
|Label||The Inc., Universal|
|Writer(s)||Ashanti Douglas, Jack Knight, Quiana Space, Marcus Vest, Mario Winans|
|Ashanti singles chronology|
"Hey Baby (After the Club)" is a song by Ashanti initially intended as the first U.S. single from her fourth studio album, The Declaration (2008), although it is not included on U.S. editions of the album. It was written by Ashanti, Jack Knight, Olliette Quiana Space, Marcus Vest and Mendell Mario Winans and produced by Aurelius and Winans.
The song was released to the U.S. iTunes Store on October 16, 2007, and was made available for airplay on rhythmic crossover radio stations the same day. It peaked at number eighty-seven on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, remaining on it for nine weeks.
Background and Critical reception
Initially "Switch" was intended to be the first single. "Switch" was produced by Shy Carter and released digitally in the United States on July 24, 2007. It was later reported that "Switch" will not be included on the album's track listing, and that the first single would be "Hey Baby (After the Club)".
"Hey Baby (After the Club)" was released to radio and digital outlets on October 16, 2007. It did not receive positive reviews. It was criticized for being too similar to the song "Last Night" of rapper P. Diddy featuring Keyshia Cole. Both songs sampled the song "Erotic City" by Prince. The website That Grape Juice wrote that "though the track is good, it’s still a long way off what she should be putting out if she’s hoping for a successful ‘comeback’". Rap-Up magazine stated: "We’re hoping it will grow on us, but until then, we wish Ashanti would have gone with “Switch” with Nelly as her first single".
What happened with "Switch" also ended up happening to "Hey Baby (After the Club)", when a new song "The Way That I Love You", which was released in February 2008, was later referred to as the real "first single" in press releases and media reports.
"Hey Baby (After the Club)" does not appear in the U.S. editions of the album. It only appears as a bonus track in select countries internationally, such as the UK.
The music video was premiered on September 17, 2007.
- "Hey Baby (After the Club)" Radio version – 3:33
- "Hey Baby (After the Club)" Extended radio version – 4:30
- "Hey Baby (After the Club)" Extended radio version instrumental – 4:30
- "Hey Baby (After the Club)" Extended radio version a cappella – 3:34
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||87|
|United States||October 16, 2007||Rhythmic crossover||The Inc., Universal|
|October 16, 2007||Music download|
- "Ashanti "Hey Baby (After The Club)" : premier single issu de "The Declaration"" (in French). Musique Radio. 2007-12-06. Retrieved 2008-06-04.
- "Ashanti - Chart History - Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Ashanti, Nelly Get Their Beyonce-And-Jay-Z On For New Single 'Switch'". MTV News. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Ashanti - Hey Baby (After The Club) Ft. Mario Winans". DJ Booth. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "New Song: Ashanti – ‘Hey Baby (After The Club)’". That Grape Juice. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "New Music: Ashanti f/ Mario Winans – ‘Hey Baby (After The Club)’". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Ashanti - Hey Baby (After The Club)". Eil.com. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Hey Baby (After the Club) (Vinyl) (Single)". Amazon. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Hey Baby (After the Club) (Extended Radio Version) - Single". iTunes. Retrieved 2012-02-19.