Hey Girl (Billy Currington song)
|Single by Billy Currington|
|from the album We Are Tonight|
|Released||March 18, 2013|
|Billy Currington singles chronology|
"Hey Girl" is a song recorded by American country music artist Billy Currington. It was released in March 2013 as the first single from his fifth studio album. The album, We Are Tonight, was released on September 17, 2013. The song was written by Rhett Akins, Chris DeStefano, and Ashley Gorley.
The song has the male narrator making advances on a female, saying that "all [he] can think to say is 'hey, girl.'" It is in a moderate tempo, in cut time. It uses the E-flat dorian scale (i.e., an E-flat minor scale with the sixth tone raised by a semitone), with a main chord pattern of E♭m-G♭-D♭-A♭.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song three and a half stars out of five, writing that "layers of electric guitar and a lengthy (by country radio standards) solo before the bridge add unnecessary distractions, but ultimately Currington’s satisfying delivery brings back a delectable groove." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song three and a half stars out of five, saying that "while completely reminding me of those great hook-filled mid/late 1980s adult pop songs melodically, 'Hey Girl' still features a strong vocal and fiddle and steel guitars that are audible more than one might expect." Ben Foster of Country Universe gave the song a C grade, writing that it "has some infectious guitar work going for it, but it’s not enough to elevate the song beyond what it is – regular dime-a-dozen radio filler with a total lack of a lyrical hook."
"Hey Girl" debuted at number 57 on the U.S. Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week of March 23, 2013. It also debuted at number 47 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of May 11, 2013. It also debuted at number 75 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of May 18, 2013. On the Country Airplay chart dated October 19, 2013, "Hey Girl" became Currington's seventh number one country hit. It also debuted at number 87 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of October 5, 2013.
The music video was directed by Kristin Barlowe and premiered in July 2013.
Charts and certifications
by Jason Aldean
|Billboard Country Airplay
October 19, 2013
"It Goes Like This"
by Thomas Rhett
|New chart||Billboard Country Airplay
number-one single of the year
- "Billy Currington, Elderly Abuse Charges Stem From Boating Argument". The Boot. April 24, 2013. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Skates, Sarah (June 10, 2013). "Billy Currington Preps First Album in Three Years". MusicRow. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Foster, Ben (March 20, 2013). "Single Review: Billy Currington, "Hey Girl"". Country Universe. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- "'Hey Girl' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Dukes, Billy (March 8, 2013). "Billy Currington, ‘Hey Girl’ – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Bjorke, Matt (March 4, 2013). "Single Review: Billy Currington - Hey Girl". Roughstock. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Morris, Edward (March 16, 2013). "Luke Bryan Shows Us His Hits as Spring Break Rips the Tops Off". Country Music Television. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- "American single certifications – Billy Currington – Hey Girl". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Bjorke, Matt (2013-02-05). "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles - Feb 5, 2014: Hunter Hayes #1, Tim McGraw, Eric Church Debut Top 10, Scotty & Cassadee News". Roughstock.
- "CMT : Videos : Billy Currington : Hey Girl". Country Music Television. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Billy Currington.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Canada Country for Billy Currington.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Billy Currington.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Airplay for Billy Currington.
- "Billy Currington Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Billy Currington.
- "Best of 2013: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Canadian single certifications – Billy Currington – Hey Girl". Music Canada. Retrieved January 10, 2014.