|Sire||Pride of Kildare (IRE)|
|Breeder||Seton Otway, Trelawney Stud|
|Owner||T. H. Knowles & K. R. Sly
Colours: maroon, light blue diamonds, armbands & cap
|Trainer||Trevor H. Knowles|
|Earnings||£23,968 (after the Melbourne Cup)|
|1960 HBJC Hawkes Bay Cup
1960 Melbourne Cup
|Last updated on 16 March 2010|
Hi Jinx was bred by Seton Otway and foaled at Trelawney Stud, Cambridge. She was sired by the non-winner, but good sire, Pride of Kildare (IRE), her dam was the Great Northern Oaks winner, Lady's Bridge by the leading sire, Foxbridge (GB) out of Miss Ridicule by The Ace (GB). Pride of Kildare was imported into New Zealand by Seton Otway and sired 15 stakes-winners that won 36 stakes races before he was exported to Japan. Hi Jinx was a half-sister to Erin's Bridge (dam of the stakes-winner, Marchere). She was inbred to Bayardo in the fourth generation (4mx4f).
She was sold for 500 guineas and raced in the partnership of Trevor H. Knowles and Mr. K.R. Sly.
Hi Jinx was trained by her part owner, Trevor H. Knowles. Her record was undistinguished prior to going to Australia. There she was unplaced in the Caulfield Cup before finishing second in the Moonee Valley Cup. Hi Jinx was allotted 7 stone 10 pounds in the Centenary Melbourne Cup and ridden by William A. Smith. The field of 32 included the champion racehorse Tulloch who finished seventh. Hi Jinx started at 50/1 and defeated the New Zealand-bred horses Howsie and Ilumquh by a half head, and a neck in 3.23¾.
She is known to have produced:
- 1963 a filly Centinx by Comte De Grasse (USA) (third dam of Robyn's Faffair, which won the Group 3, Winter Cup Handicap)
- 1968 a filly Royal Service by Alcimedes (GB)
- Digby, John; Thoroughbred Families and Sires of Australian and New Zealand, AJC & VRC, 2002
- de Bourg, Ross, The Australian and New Zealand Thoroughbred, Nelson, West Melbourne, 1980, ISBN 0-17-005860-3
- Cavanough, Maurice, The Melbourne Cup, Jack Pollard P/L, North Sydney, 1976 ISBN 0-909950-62-8
- Morris, Simon; Tesio Power 2000 - Stallions of the World, Syntax Software
- ASB: Hi Jinx (NZ) Retrieved 2010-3-16