Towns County Courthouse in Hiawassee
Location in Towns County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||2.2 sq mi (5.6 km2)|
|• Land||1.7 sq mi (4.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,972 ft (601 m)|
|• Density||367.3/sq mi (144.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0328122|
Settled about 1820, Hiawasee was designated seat of the newly-formed Towns County in 1856. It was incorporated as a town in 1870 and as a city in 1916.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2), of which, 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) (21.86%) is water.
Hiawassee is approximately 2000 feet (609 m) above sea level.
As of the census of 2010, there were 880 people, 456 households, and 203 families residing in the town. There were 448 occupied housing units at an average density of 367.3 per square mile (144.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.8% White, 0.3% African American, 0.1% Native American, 1.3% Asian, 0.9% from other races, and 0.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.7% of the population.
There were 203 family households out of which 9.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.3% were married couples living together, 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 55.5% were non-families. 52.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 40.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.68 and the average family size was 2.41.
In the town the population was spread out with 10.4% under the age of 18, 20.8% age 20 to 54, 12.6% from 55-64 and 56.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 68.2 years.
According to the U.S.C.B., 2007-2011 American Community Survey, the median income for a household in the town was $45,104, and the median income for a family was $47,917. The per capita income for the town was $23,531.
Towns County School District
The Towns County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of one elementary school, a middle school and a high school. The district has 144 full-time teachers and over 2,408 students.
- Towns County Elementary School
- Towns County Middle School
- Towns County High School
Points of interest
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). "Historical Gazetteer of the United States". Routledge. p. 233. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 28, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 28, 2010.