|St. Paul's Episcopal Church, a historic site in the village|
|Motto: "A Proud Past.....A Brilliant Future....."|
|• Total||2.66 sq mi (6.89 km2)|
|• Land||2.66 sq mi (6.89 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||761 ft (232 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||3,504|
|• Density||1,346.2/sq mi (519.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1064833|
Hicksville was founded by a group of land speculators. Led by Henry W. Hicks, the Hicks Land Company platted the community in 1835 and 1836. Mark Twain mentioned the village in Chapter 33 of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn when Tom Sawyer claims to be a stranger from Hicksville, Ohio.
Hicksville is located at (41.294281, -84.762078).
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,581 people, 1,432 households, and 946 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,346.2 inhabitants per square mile (519.8 /km2). There were 1,571 housing units at an average density of 590.6 per square mile (228.0 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 94.9% White, 0.3% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 2.1% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.1% of the population.
There were 1,432 households of which 34.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.7% were married couples living together, 14.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 33.9% were non-families. 29.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.01.
The median age in the village was 36.9 years. 26% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.6% were from 25 to 44; 24% were from 45 to 64; and 16% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 48.1% male and 51.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,649 people, 1,476 households, and 957 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,450.4 people per square mile (559.1/km²). There were 1,567 housing units at an average density of 622.8 per square mile (240.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 96.88% White, 0.14% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 1.34% from other races, and 1.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.32% of the population.
There were 1,476 households out of which 32.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.9% were married couples living together, 10.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.1% were non-families. 29.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the village the population was spread out with 27.3% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 88.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.2 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $39,459, and the median income for a family was $43,571. Males had a median income of $32,066 versus $22,413 for females. The per capita income for the village was $17,385. About 2.1% of families and 3.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.7% of those under age 18 and 1.9% of those age 65 or over.
Hicksville is the home of the Aces. 1976 Single A State Baseball C hampions. The school district recently built a new K-12 building, combining the previous Elementary and High School student bodies into one building. Ceremonies and other special "Grand Opening" events were held through the months of December 2008 and January 2009.
- Daeida Wilcox Beveridge - with her husband, developed the Los Angeles suburb of Hollywood
- Amelia Bingham - American Broadway actress
- James Purdy - American Novelist
- Dain Clay - Baseball Player
- Don Batchelor - Football Player
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of Defiance County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, etc.; Military Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; Farm Views; Personal Reminiscences, etc.. Chicago: Warner, Beers, & Co., 1883, 278.
- Twain, Mark. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mineola, NY: Dover Publications, 1994. 172.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Village of Hicksville
- Lifeline Connect Church of Hicksville
- Maumee Valley Heritage Corridor
- Hicksville Schools Website
- Hicksville’s Historical Society