Hicksville Township, Defiance County, Ohio
|Hicksville Township, Defiance County, Ohio|
|• Total||35.6 sq mi (92.2 km2)|
|• Land||35.6 sq mi (92.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||755 ft (230 m)|
|• Density||140.6/sq mi (54.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086033|
Hicksville Township is one of the twelve townships of Defiance County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 5,003 people in the township, 3,649 of whom lived in the village of Hicksville, and 1,354 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county along the Indiana line, it borders the following townships:
- Milford Township - north
- Farmer Township - northeast corner
- Mark Township - east
- Crane Township, Paulding County - southeast corner
- Carryall Township, Paulding County - south
- Scipio Township, Allen County, Indiana - southwest
- Newville Township, DeKalb County, Indiana - west
The village of Hicksville is located in western Hicksville Township.
Name and history
It is the only Hicksville Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- State Route 18, which travels from northwest to east
- State Route 49, which travels generally from north to south
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- census, Defiance County. Accessed 2007-04-21
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 34. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.