Hidden Beach Recordings
|Hidden Beach Recordings|
|Distributor(s)||Universal Music Distribution|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Santa Monica, California|
Hidden Beach is an American independent record label specializing in Urban Alternative, R&B, Soul, Inspirational and Contemporary Jazz music genres. Hidden Beach was formed in 1998 as the vision of its Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Steve McKeever and currently holds a distribution deal with Universal Music Distribution Group.
About the Owner
Steve McKeever, CEO, Founder and Chief Creative Officer has spent over 20 years in the music industry. McKeever was born in Chicago, Illinois. After graduating from St. Ignatius High School, McKeever graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. From there, he attended Harvard Law School and earned his J.D degree.
After graduating from Harvard Law School, McKeever was hired by the law firm of Irell & Manella LLP in Los Angeles as an entertainment lawyer. While there, he discovered comedian Robin Harris, and helped him land a role in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing. In 1991, McKeever joined Motown Records as senior vice president of artists and repertoire, where he expanded the label's line-up with people like Queen Latifah. He has also worked with Lionel Richie, Diana Ross and Zhane. The following year, he launched MoJAZZ Records, a subsidiary of Motown, where he launched a number of new artists. In 1993, McKeever played an instrumental role in the sale of Motown to PolyGram Records. McKeever left Motown in 1995 to work on his own projects, and in 1998, he founded Hidden Beach Recordings (HBR).
Charles Whitfield, Production and Artist Relations: A graduate of North Carolina Central University with a B.A. in Criminal Justice. Charles joined Hidden Beach for the date the label opened its doors as a paid intern with no record label experience but a passion for music. Charles had the foresight to introduce McKeever to Michael Jordan, one of the lead investors in Hidden Beach. Currently Charles oversees all production of content for the label and is the primary liaison between the artists and the label. Prior to joining Hidden Beach, Charles served as an assistant manager at a Fortune 500 consumer finance company where he became the leader in business development for his sales district.
Hidden Beach has four label imprints, which focus on a different genres of music. -Hidden Beach is the primary label imprint and is used for R&B, neo-soul, jazz, instrumental and compilation releases -Still Waters, a Hidden Beach Experience is the label imprint dedicated to inspirational music releases spanning the gamut from gospel music to motivational music to inspirational speeches. The debut release on Still Waters was nominated for a Grammy, a Dove Award and a Stellar Award. -Hidden Beach Celebration Series focuses on specialty themed albums such as Christmas and Mother's Day releases. HBR's first Celebration Series released was Bebe Winans' My Christmas Prayer which topped 5 different Billboard Charts, was names as one of Oprah Winfrey's Favorite Things and became Starbuck's biggest selling holiday album in 2004.
Hidden Beach's first artist to sign to the label was Jill Scott, who, to date, is their best selling artist. The inaugural release, Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1, has sold 2.4 million units according to Nielsen, and was nominated for four Grammy Awards. Scott has gone on to release three studio and two live albums and currently stars in the HBO series the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.
The label has grown a following with their popular Unwrapped series- instrumental versions of rap/hip-hop hits by contemporary jazz artists. The summer of 2008 saw the latest installment in this series, Unwrapped Vol. 5: the Collipark Cafe Sessions. Since its debut three years ago, Unwrapped, Vol. 1 has sold 166,000 units, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Vol. 2 counts 91,000 units. Unwrapped, Vol. 3, which features 50 Cent's "In Da Club" and Eminem's "Lose Yourself" as interpreted by keyboardists Jeff Lorber and former Earth, Wind & Fire member Larry Dunn, Hidden Beach saxophonist Mike Phillips and others, was released July 13. It debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard Contemporary Jazz chart and No. 4 on the overall jazz chart. To date, it has sold 32,000 units. Released on June 24, 2006, the fourth installment in the series, Unwrapped: Vol 4 peaked at number 3 on the Top Contemporary Jazz charts. Unwrapped, Vol. 5: The Collipark Cafe Sessions offers jazz instrumental covers of Southern hip-hop hits and was released June 24, 2008.
The Obama Campaign
Hidden Beach was tapped as the label to release the Yes We Can: Voices of a Grassroots Movement compilation CD, with proceeds to benefit the Barack Obama campaign. Obama inspired many artists to create songs of hope and the campaign felt it to be a good idea to compile these songs onto one project. McKeever had been in talks with the Obama campaign regarding such a project for a while. Artists on the project include Kanye West, Stevie Wonder, JawZ is Dead and Sheryl Crow and was released on September 18, 2008.
Following the election of President Obama, Hidden Beach produced the official inauguration collection commemorative CD-DVD set. Change Is Now: Renewing America's Promise includes 17 tracks by various artists and eight of President Obama's speeches. Artists include will.i.am, Robin Thicke, Maroon 5 and India.arie.
Hidden Beach on the charts
- 1 R&B Album- Jill Scott: Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2
- 1 R&B/Hip Hop Female Artist of the Year Billboard Year End Review 2001- Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1
- 1 Heatseeker's Album Chart - Darius Rucker, Back to Then
- 1 Contemporary Jazz Album- Hidden Beach Recordings Presents: Unwrapped Volume 1
- 1 Top Catalog Album - BeBe Winans, My Christmas Prayer
- 1 Top Contemporary Christian Catalog Album- Bebe Winans, My Christmas Prayer
- 2 Top R&B/Hip Hop Album- Jill Scott: The Real Thing: Words and Sounds Vol. 3
- 3 Contemporary Jazz Album- Hidden Beach presents: Unwrapped Volume 5 The Collipark Cafe Sessions
- 3 Billboard Top 200 Album- Jill Scott: Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2
- 3 Contemporary Jazz Album- Hidden Beach presents: Unwrapped: Volume 2
- 3 Contemporary Jazz Album- Hidden Beach presents: Unwrapped: Volume 4
- 4 Contemporary Jazz Album- Mike Phillips, You Have Reached Mike Phillips
- 5 Contemporary Jazz Album- Hidden Beach Presents: Unwrapped Volume 3
- 7 R&B Album- Jill Scott: Experience: Jill Scott 826+
- 7 R&B/Hip Hop Album- Kindred the Family Soul: The Arrival
- 8 Contemporary Jazz Album- Jeff Bradshaw, Bone Deep
- 10 Experimental Hip-hop Album - JawZ is Dead "wHine"
|BeBe Winans||My Christmas Prayer|
- The History Makers, "Steve McKeever Biography" , November 17, 2004, Retrieved on June 15, 2009
- Mitchell, Gail, "Rhythm and Blues: Hidden Beach Shoring up Talent", Billboard.com, December 10, 2005, Section: Music, Rhythm and Blues
- Mitchell, Gail, "Rap, Jazz Mingling More Than Ever", Billboard.com, October 2, 2004
- Mitchell, Gail, "Hidden Beach, Collipark Package New Unwrapped", Billboard.com, June 11, 2008, Retrieved on June 29, 2009
- "Barack Obama releases album with Kanye West" ,New Musical Express, September 23, 2008