Hidden Hills, California
|Hidden Hills, California|
|City of Hidden Hills|
Location of Hidden Hills in Los Angeles County, California
|Country||United States of America|
|Incorporated||October 19, 1961|
|• Mayor||Steve Freedland|
|• Total||1.689 sq mi (4.373 km2)|
|• Land||1.689 sq mi (4.373 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||1,076 ft (328 m)|
|• Density||1,100/sq mi (420/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1660744|
Hidden Hills is a city in Los Angeles County, California, United States, and a gated community. The population was 1,856 at the 2010 census, down from 1,875 at the 2000 census. One of the wealthiest cities in the United States, it is located in the westernmost San Fernando Valley.
Geography and history
The city was designed and developed in the 1950s by A.E. Hanson, a renowned Southern California landscape architect and planned community developer. His earlier projects included Rolling Hills and Palos Verdes Estates, and the 1920s Beverly Hills Harold Lloyd Estate 'Greenacres.' It is a gated residential community with a total all land area of 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2). An elementary school is publicly accessible at one of the three gates to the community. The city has a summer camp for children, community and children's theatre programs, annual parades, carnivals, parties, welcome wagon, snow days, and weekly community-wide barbecues all summer long.
Hidden Hills is protected on the north by the nature reserve and greenbelt of the Upper Las Virgenes Canyon Open Space Preserve, a Park with miles of equestrian, hiking, and mountain biking trails. Nearby to the south is the pioneer Leonis Adobe National Historic Landmark, with gardens and a historical Museum. It's across the historic El Camino Real of the Spanish Las Californias and Mexican Alta California eras, now U.S. Route 101.
The city was the setting of a short-lived NBC sitcom called Hidden Hills, which aired in 2002–2003.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,875 people, 568 households, and 506 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,135.0 inhabitants per square mile (438.8/km²). There were 592 housing units at an average density of 358.3 per square mile (138.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 88.70% White, 0.44% Black or African American, 0.12% Native American, 2.71% Asian, 1.55% from other races, and 1.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race 6.24% of the population.
There were 568 households out of which 50.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 81.7% were married couples living together, 5.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.9% were non-families. 7.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.30 and the average family size was 3.39.
In the city the population was spread out with 33.0% under the age of 18, 4.2% from 18 to 24, 20.9% from 25 to 44, 31.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 92.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.6 males.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Hidden Hills had a population of 1,856. The population density was 1,099.1 people per square mile (424.4/km²). The racial makeup of Hidden Hills was 1,713 (92.3%) White (87.4% Non-Hispanic White), 37 (2.0%) African American, 3 (0.2%) Native American, 42 (2.3%) Asian, 1 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 30 (1.6%) from other races, and 30 (1.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 123 persons (6.6%).
The Census reported that 1,856 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized. There were 593 households, out of which 269 (45.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 453 (76.4%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 40 (6.7%) had a female householder with no husband present, 24 (4.0%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 9 (1.5%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 6 (1.0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 61 households (10.3%) were made up of individuals and 39 (6.6%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.13. There were 517 families (87.2% of all households); the average family size was 3.30.
The population was spread out with 531 people (28.6%) under the age of 18, 125 people (6.7%) aged 18 to 24, 245 people (13.2%) aged 25 to 44, 660 people (35.6%) aged 45 to 64, and 295 people (15.9%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45.8 years. For every 100 females there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.6 males. There were 626 housing units at an average density of 370.7 per square mile (143.1/km²), of which 552 (93.1%) were owner-occupied, and 41 (6.9%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.4%; the rental vacancy rate was 4.7%. 1,743 people (93.9% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 113 people (6.1%) lived in rental housing units.
2011 & 2012
- These were the ten cities or neighborhoods in Los Angeles County with the largest percentage of white residents, according to the 2000 census:
- Malibu, California, 88.8%
- Hidden Hills, California, 88.7%
- Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, 88.6%
- Topanga, California, 87.6%
- Beverly Crest, Los Angeles, 87.5%
- Westlake Village, California, 85.5%
- Manhattan Beach, California, 85.5%
- Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, 84.9%
- Hermosa Beach, California, 84.9%
- Fairfax, Los Angeles, 84.7%
Median family income
In the California State Legislature Hidden Hills is located in the 23rd State Senate District, represented by Democrat Fran Pavley, and in the 41st State Assembly District, represented by Democrat Julia Brownley.
In the 2004 presidential election George W. Bush won 52% of the vote, compared to 44% statewide, while John Kerry won 46% of the vote, compared to 56% statewide. In the 2006 state governor election, Arnold Schwarzenegger won over 72% of the vote, while Democratic opponent Phil Angelides won nearly 25% of the vote.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (LASD) operates the Malibu/Lost Hills Station in Calabasas, serving Hidden Hills. Calabasas City Library containing the Kathleen Beachy Collection, is located in the community.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department (LACoFD) handles fire service calls for Hidden Hills.
HiddenHillsRoundup.com is a website serving the Hidden Hills community with information on events, real estate, profiles of residents, and lifestyle of the community.
- Aubrey Drake Graham, musician
- Melissa Etheridge
- Bruce Jenner, olympian
- Kendall Jenner, model, socialite
- Kris Jenner, socialite
- Kylie Jenner, model, socialite
- Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony
- Ozzy Osbourne and Sharon Osbourne lived in Hidden Hills in 2011; the house was purchased by Jessica Simpson in 2013
- Denise Richards, actress and model
- LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian
- Josh Satin (born 1984), major league baseball player
- Britney Spears, singer and actress, in a home formerly owned by construction magnate Ronald Tutor
- Jeff Porcaro (1954–1992), musician
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date" (Word). California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "City of Hidden Hills, California – City Council Members". Retrieved January 18, 2007.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer File - Places - California". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- "Hidden Hills". Geographic Names Information System. U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved November 11, 2014.
- "USPS – ZIP Code Lookup – Find a ZIP+ 4 Code By City Results". Retrieved January 18, 2007.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Hidden Hills Community Association: Living in Hidden Hills
- Hidden Hills City History
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790–2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 30, 2010.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - Hidden Hills city". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Missing or empty
- Hidden Hills, Chevy Chase have richest populations, American City Business Journals, September 13, 2011
-  "White," Mapping L.A., Los Angeles Times
- "California's 30th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.
- "Malibu/Lost Hills Station." Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Retrieved on January 21, 2010.
- "Calabasas city, California." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 21, 2010.
- Britney Spears Buys $18.9M Mansion in Hidden Hills, CA, NBC Bay Area
- Lisa Gutman, Luxury Homes by Keller Williams, Keller Williams Realty, hiddenhills.com
- Fred Schruers, Sharon and Ozzy Obsourne At Home, Architectural Digest, 2011
- Looks Like Jessica Simpson Did Buy Osbourne Home in Hidden Hills, Calif., AOL, February 12, 2013
- Chelsea White, 'New beginnings': LeAnn Rimes jets into LA to move into new Hidden Hills home (which she bought for $3m... almost half price), The Daily Mail, March 19, 2013
- Erika Riggs, Leann Rimes and Eddie Cibrian buy in Hidden Hills, NBC News, February 26, 2013
- LeAnn Rimes, Eddie Cibrian Buy Hidden Hills Mansion for $3 Million on Short Sale: Pictures, Us Weekly, 2013
- "New York Mets call up prospect Josh Satin". Jewish Baseball News. September 1, 2011. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- Julie Tamaki (September 4, 1992). "Drummer's Death Linked to Cocaine, Coroner Says : Autopsy: Report finds no evidence to support earlier belief that Toto's Jeff Porcaro died of an allergic reaction to a pesticide". Los Angeles Times.
- Official Hidden Hills website
- L.A.Mountains Official Upper Las Virgenes Canyon Park website.
- Trails.org: Las Virgenes Open Space trails website.
- SMMC: Upper Las Virgenes Canyon Park: Geology webpage.
||Simi Hills & Upper Las Virgenes Canyon Open Space Preserve||West Hills||West Hills|
|Simi Hills||Woodland Hills|
|Calabasas &Santa Monica Mountains||Calabasas &Santa Monica Mountains||Calabasas|