Hidayatullah National Law University
|Hidayatullah National Law University|
Academic block of HNLU
(for the sake of establishing the primacy of the laws of eternal value)
|Location||New Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India|
Hidayatullah National Law University (HNLU) (Hindi: हिदायतुल्लाह राष्ट्रीय विधि विश्वविद्यालय) is an autonomous law university in New Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India. University is named after the former Chief Justice Mohammad Hidayatullah. It is one of the national law schools established in India. It was established as a centre for legal excellence by the Government of Chhattisgarh under the Hidayatullah National University of Law, Chhattisgarh, Act (Act No.10 of 2003). The university offers B.A. LL.B. (Hons.). L.L.M., and Ph.D. degrees. It is a residential university and is sixth in the series of national law schools in India. University has been included in the list of universities maintained by the University Grants Commission under Section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956 and receives central assistance in terms of the rules framed under Section 12 (B) of The University Grants Commission Act, 1956.
Heading the administration of the university are:
- Visitor: H. L. Dattu, Judge, Supreme Court of India.
- Chancellor: Justice Yatindra Singh, the Chief Justice of High Court of Chhattisgarh.
- Vice Chancellor: Prof.(Dr) Sukh Pal Singh
Previously, the university ran from a classical heritage building adjacent to the Raj Bhawan in the heart of the city. From 2009 the university has functioned in the newly constructed campus at village Uperwara, about 22 km from the City Campus. The new campus is built over 65 acres (260,000 m2) of land abutting a beautiful lake and is located in a serene and pollution free environment. The academic block consists of three-storied library with air conditioned reading hall and an air-conditioned computer lab equipped with 150 computers. The academic block also houses the Moot Court Halls designed to match the standards of the Supreme Court of India and the High Courts. The campus is Wi-Fi enabled.
The air-conditioned class rooms are fitted with teaching aids such as DLP projectors and interactive boards. It also has a Conference Hall and an amphitheater. The Halls of Residence at the new campus have been constructed to provide single room accommodation to each student.
Courses and curriculum
2008 onwards, admission to the undergraduate course and Masters programme of HNLU was based on the Common Law Admission Test, as per the Supreme Court of India's directives. HNLU currently offers following courses:
HNLU provides separate hostels for girls and boys. Each hostel has two blocks which are connected to the mess. Students are allotted single rooms.
The hostels have a Common Room for TV and other creative activities. It has a gym,an indoor badminton court and a TT table inside the hostel premises. There is a canteen within the hostel premises. A new canteen has opened up near the college gate which offers the students a wide range of fast food and where the students can buy their daily supplies.
Library and Reading Room
The HNLU has a three-storied library with an air conditioned reading hall. The HNLU library has adopted an open access system so as to make it easier for the readers to access to the library resources thereby savingtime. The library has a large collection of law books, case law reports and journals. To assist the students and research scholars in locating their desired legal literature and other information, a library automation system has been installed. Photocopying and printing facilities are available.
The HNLU library conducts a library orientation programme for the fresh students to acquaint them with the library system.
The library is Wi-Fi enabled and a few P IV workstations have been placed in the library hall. Students can browse online legal resources like West Law, Manupatra and offline legal resources like Grand Jurix. The library provides the students with daily newspapers, weekly magazines and other periodicals
HNLU has an air conditioned computer lab with desktop computers with internet connectivity. All the legal databases are available through CD-ROMs and subscription to web based databases like JSTOR, Manupatra and Westlaw International, SCC Online, and Economic and Political Weekly. A Wi-Fi facility provides the students with wire-free access to the web resources through their laptops.
The Information Technology Committee, a student body, maintains the Computer Lab. The IT Committee helps students to procure their own laptop computers for the students at highly competitive prices.
Schools of Excellence
One of the features of HNLU is its six schools as Centres of Excellence and six Units/Centres under each School with total of thirty six units. The six schools are:
- The School of Juridical & Social Sciences (SJSS)
- The School of Constitutional & Administrative Governance (SCAG)
- The School of International Legal Studies (SILS)
- The School of Science, Technology & Sustainable Development (SSTSD)
- The School of Business & Global Trade Laws Development (SBGTLD)
- The School of Administration of Justice, Continuing & Clinical Legal Education (SAJCCLE)
Court Room Exercises and Moot Courts
To familiarize students with the workings of courts, the university conducts court room exercises and Moot Courts. Court Room Exercises are conducted in every semester. Students are encouraged to participate in Moot Court competitions so that they get the chance to interact with other law students from all over the country. The Moot Court Committee is facilitator of the Moot Court. Additionally the committee is guided by the faculty coordinator and three Faculty advisers.
HNLU organises Justice Hidayatullah Memorial National Moot Court Competition every year in which teams from across the country participate.
The students of HNLU have won many of the National and International Moot Courts. HNLU represented India in some of the International Moot Court Competitions like Manfred Lachs Space Law Moot Court Competition, Sydney, Australia;International Maritime Moot Court Competition, Sydney; Law Asia Moot Court Competition, Gold coast; Commonwealth Summer School, Dhaka; Commonwealth Summer School, Dhaka; Louis M. Brown Client Counselling Competition; Philip C. Jessups Moot Court Competition etc.
International Awards & Honors
- Represented India at the World Rounds of Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition after being Runner's Up at the North India Rounds of 2012 event in January 2012.
- Won the Best Memorial Award at the Asia-Pacific Rounds of Manfred Lachs International Space Law Moot Competition.
- Won the Best Team in Mediation and secured runners up at the 4th International ADR mooting competition, Hong Kong.
- International Red Cross Moot (International Round), 2010: the team qualified for the World Finals and went on to secure the Runners-Up position.
- International Red Cross Moot (Sub-continent Rounds), 2010: the HNLU team which qualified for the National Rounds through the Henry Dunant Moot Court Competition, won the Sub-continent rounds of the International Red Cross Moot Court Competition and qualified for the International Rounds in 2011.
- Manfred Lachs Space Law Moot Competition, Sydney, Australia, 2005 : An HLNU student was judged Best Oralist (Preliminary Rounds) at a competition conducted by the International Institute of Space Law. The team was one of the semi-finalists and was the only Indian team that advanced to the semi-finals.
- Mr.Saksham Chaturvedi won the ABA Section of International Law’s Rona R. Mears Student Writing Competition & Scholarship Award, 2011 for his essay on "The Geneva Conventions: What Past? What futures?"
- Philip C. Jessups Moot Court Competition (North India), 2012: Second Best Team and 4th Best Memorial.
- The NLIU-Juris Corp Corporate Law National Moot 2010 held at NLIU Bhopal - Winners.
- Bar Council of India International Law Moot Court Competition, 2011: Best Female Oralist.
- ULC Bangalore All India Moot Court Competition, 2011: Best Memorial and Best Researcher Awards.
- Monroe E. Price Media Law National Moot Qualifier Competition held at NLU, Delhi: 3rd Best Team and qualified to represent India at the Oxford Munroe E. Price Media Law International Moot to be held at Oxford University in March 2011.
- Henry Dunant India Rounds-2010: Winner and qualified for the Sub-Continent rounds.
- K.L.E. Society's League of Mooters Moot Court Competition, 2005 : Runners' Up and Best Memorial Award.
- Xth All India Moot Court Competition, University Law College, Bangalore : Runner’s Up
- "Jus Amicus" National Moot Court Competition, 2007, Bharathi Vidyapeeth, Pune. Runners Up and Best Lay Advocate
- 1st D.H. Law National Moot Court Competition, 2012, CNLU, Patna: Best Team
- Surana and Surana National Trial Advocacy Moot, 2012 (North Eastern Rounds): Winner, Best Advocate, Second Best Advocate, Second Best Memorials and Best Speaker in the Finals.
- Surana and Surana Trial Advocacy Moot, 2013 (North Eastern Rounds): Winner, Second Best Memorials and Third Best Speaker
- 6th Pro Bono Moot Court Competition 2012 : Runner's up, Best Memorial, Best Speaker and Best Researcher award
- 17th Stetson International Environmental Moot Court Competition, North India rounds: Best Memorial Award.==
The Student Bar Association
The Student Bar Association at HNLU is the representative body of the students. The Association comprises fourteen students who are the conveners of the twelve committees of the University. A President and a Vice-President are elected from amongst these fourteen members. The members and officers of the Association hold office for a year. The Association makes all decisions affecting the students and makes recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor. The Association coordinates and supervises the activities of all the committees at the University.
The HNLU Students Bar Association consists of fourteen committees viz. Moot Court Society, Academic Support Committee, Finance Committee, Legal Service Society, Literary and Debate Society, Library Committee, I.T. Committee, Public Relations Committee, Disciplinary Committee, Mess Committee, Halls of Residence Committee, Cultural Committee, Students Editorial Board and Sports Committee. Each Committee has a convener and co-convener.
Each Committee has at least two faculty advisers. The President and Vice President of the Student Bar Council are elected by popular vote.
- "About HNLU". Hidayatullah National Law University. Archived from the original on 1 June 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "HNLU UGC Order" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "HNLU Homepage". Hnlu.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- http://clat.ac.in Common Law Admission Test - Homepage
- Ganz, Kian (4 January 2012). "800+ GNLU students move into ‘monumental’ 50 acre, Rs 150 crore campus in Gandhinagar". Legally India. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "HNLU". Moot Court Hall. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- 2009 Full Book.pdf[dead link]
- "Front Page : Common Law Admission Test to be held in May". The Hindu. 2008-01-11. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "HNLU BA LLB Programme". Hnlu.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "HNLU LLM Programme". Hnlu.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "HNLU PhD Programme". Hnlu.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Library". hnlu.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Computer Lab". hnlu.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "School". hnlu.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Justice Hidayatullah Memorial Moot Court Competition". www.lexcetera.com. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "Student Achievement". hnlu.ac.in. 2005-02-28. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Results, Jessup International Law Moot 2012 - Surana and Surana Moots India South / North Rounds
- Results - Philip C. Jessups Moot Court Competition (North India), 2012
- "Nalsar beats NLS in BCI Moot finals, nips at NUJS heels for MPL lead | Mooting". Legally India. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Nalsar changes guard ahead of packed MPL field post Super Sunday; GNLU bags DM Harish trophy | Mooting". Legally India. 2011-02-14. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- RMLNLU wins Stetson North as NLU Delhi, HNLU keep 2nd, 3rd in Mooting Premier League | Mooting | Law students | News | Editorial | Legally India
- http://www.moot.in/moot1/case_documents/2/results.pdf , Results at the Surana and Surana website
- "hnlu.ac.in". hnlu.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hidayatullah National Law University.|