High-definition remasters for PlayStation consoles
Sony has released a series of PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable video games, remastered in high-definition (HD), for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, a form of video game remake. A number of related programs exist, the most prominent two being "Classics HD" (also known as "HD Collection") and "PSP Remasters". The former consists of multiple PlayStation 2 games compiled on one Blu-ray Disc. The latter are individual PlayStation Portable games republished on Blu-ray. These games are not direct ports, but remastered versions in high-definition, to take advantage of the newer consoles' capabilities. The remastering of the games include updated graphics, new textures, Trophy support and sometimes include 3D and PlayStation Move support. Some HD remasters have been released individually or in bundles as downloads on the PlayStation Store; others are released exclusively as downloads.
Classics HD is the official name given for these compilations in Europe, no equivalent of such name exists in North America or Japan. However, these games include the subtitle "Remastered in High Definition" or "HD Collection" on the North American cover. PSP Remasters is the official name given by Sony for collections featuring remasters of PSP games. The PSP Remasters line includes the same features as the Classics HD line, as well as cross-platform play and shareable saves between the two versions, however, PSP Remasters do not include Trophy support.
The first remastered collection to be released is the God of War Collection which consists of God of War and God of War II. This collection was released before Sony decided to officially begin a line of Classics HD games. God of War Collection was brought about from feedback in anticipation for God of War III and what type of content fans would like to see in a special edition of that game. From this feedback, Sony released the collection separate from God of War III as a way to introduce new players to the franchise.
The success of the God of War Collection prompted Sony to make a new line of games that would be bannered Classics HD in PAL regions (North American copies simply have the subtitle "Remastered in High Definition" or "HD Collection"). One of the reasons why this brand was created is that PlayStation 2 titles are not compatible with most PlayStation 3 consoles (only the 20 GB and 60 GB models, and the first iteration of the 80 GB model are compatible).
The second series of games ported to the PlayStation 3 and first to use the Classics HD banner is The Sly Collection released in November 2010. The Prince of Persia series is the first non-Sony published games remastered, published by Ubisoft. After months of speculation, it was finally revealed in September 2010 that Ico and Shadow of the Colossus would be remastered for a September 2011 release. On November 2, 2010, the God of War Collection became the first remastered collection to be released as a digital download on the PlayStation Store. In 2010 a remastered version of Frontline was included in the PlayStation 3 version of Medal of Honor with updated gameplay options and Trophy support, in 2011 Frontline HD became available as a separate PSN download. The first three games of the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series was also remastered and was released on Blu-ray in Europe in September 2011  and was released in North America later in that month. The Tomb Raider Trilogy was announced on December 19, 2010 and included all three second era games of the series: HD remasters of Tomb Raider: Legend and Tomb Raider: Anniversary for the first time on the PlayStation 3, plus Tomb Raider: Underworld.
At E3 2011 during Sony's press conference, the PSP Remaster line was announced. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD ver. was the first of this line to be announced. Sony Computer Entertainment Japan announced that the PSP Remasters line will not include Trophy support; God of War: Origins Collection, despite being both remasters of PSP games is not part of this line thus has trophy support. Additionally the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection will include a PSP remaster for the game (available standalone in Japan) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which will include the various features that a PSP remaster are intended to have (e.g. importing saves between the PS3 and the PSP version) and Trophy support.
HD Remasters of Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Code: Veronica X were released both together and separately as the Resident Evil: Revival Selection, which are downloadable titles only except for in Japan. The Silent Hill Collection was released in March 2012, it includes both Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 with new voice actors recorded for the Silent Hill 2 dialog. A HD Collection of the first three games in the Devil May Cry series has been confirmed by Capcom for 2012. A Sengoku Basara HD Collection was announced by Capcom for release in Summer 2012 exclusively for the PlayStation 3. After much rumor and speculation, a HD Collection of the Jak and Daxter series was confirmed for a February 2012 release. On March 2, 2012, The Ratchet & Clank Trilogy was spotted on Amazon France and has been confirmed for an early June release for France, Germany and UK. On May 31, 2012, a Hitman HD Collection was spotted on 16Games's website for an October 2012 release, but it was delayed to January 29, 2013 in North America, January 31, 2013 in Australia and February 1, 2013 in Europe on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
During an interview with GameInformer, Kingdom Hearts creator Tetsuya Nomura expressed interest in "HD versions" and is "currently researching them" for his Kingdom Hearts series. He said, "I would like to do something about the series being spread over so many different consoles, too. I am thinking a lot about the future." In September 2012, Square Enix announced Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix a compilation for the PlayStation 3 to include both Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Re:Chain of Memories in HD definition and with Trophy support. Additionally, the collection will include HD cinematic scenes from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, and will see release internationally in 2013.
Along with Trophies, 3D support and HD upgrades the various compilations also boast various other extras to accompany them. The God of War Collection contains bonus materials for God of War II (originally released as a DVD in the God of War II two-disc set on PS2) and early copies included the God of War III demo while the Origins Collection also contains one for Chains of Olympus and the documentary, God of War - Game Directors Live, the Kratos Legionnaire bonus skin, and Forest of the Forgotten combat arena (originally released as a download via the Ghost of Sparta preorder package). In Japan, the PS3 version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: HD Edition is standalone and includes a code to download the PSP version while Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 are packaged separately in Metal Gear Solid HD and come instead with a download code for the original Metal Gear Solid. In North America and Europe, the three HD games are packaged together in Metal Gear Solid HD Collection with no downloadable games. Tekken Hybrid not only includes an HD upgrade of Tekken Tag Tournament and a prologue based on Tekken Tag Tournament 2 but also comes with the 3D CGI film Tekken: Blood Vengeance. Though the actual game is not actually included, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix also includes the cut scenes from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, remastered in high definition, and cut scenes from Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded will be included in the Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix, also remastered in high definition.
To help showcase the addition of the PlayStation Move, The Sly Collection includes various additional minigames as well. The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection features bonus content, including two XMB Dynamic Themes and exclusive video content for Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian (for which an inclusion of a demo was considered but never included). It also features the original PlayStation 2 cover arts for both games on the inner side of the case. The Silent Hill Collection includes both original and new recorded dialog for Silent Hill 2.
A notable feature with the PSP Remasters is that one can import saved games between the PSP version and the PS3 version and vice versa.
^† Released exclusively as download.
PlayStation Collections are bundles of games for the PlayStation 3. The collections contain both remastered games and games that have already been released for the PS3, in addition to bonus content. The first collections announced in this line are the God of War Saga and the infamous Collection, which were released on August 28, 2012 along with the Ratchet & Clank Collection.
^† Redeemable voucher download.
^a Only Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta
^b Only infamous: Festival of Blood
^c Only Killzone 3
Other high-definition games
There are also a number of other games not part of the official Sony line but are nevertheless high-definition remasters of previously released games. The most noticeable difference is that these games' original consoles of release were not on a Sony system.
^† Released exclusively as download.
- New Play Control!
- List of PSone Classics A–M
- List of PSone Classics N–Z
- PlayStation 2 classics
- Video game remake
- Pereira, Chris (2011-06-30). "PSP Remaster Games on PS3 to Run on the PSP Engine". 1up.com. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- Ishaan (2011-05-23). "PSP Remaster Series Won’t Include PS3 Trophy Support". Siliconera. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- Caiazzo, Anthony (August 31, 2010). "God of War Collection – Blu-ray Disc Compilation Available This Holiday Season!". Sony Computer Entertainment. Retrieved August 31, 2010.
- Sliwinski, Alexander (May 28, 2010). "'Classics HD' line for PS3 in Europe, starting with Sly Collection and God of War". Joystiq. Retrieved September 10, 2010.
- McWhertor, Michael (September 25, 2010). "Mortal Kombat, Prince of Persia HD Collections Go 3D on PS3". Kotaku. Retrieved October 9, 2010.
- Shuman, Sid (September 15, 2010). "Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection hits PS3 Spring 2011 with 3D". Sony Computer Entertainment. Retrieved October 11, 2010.
- Caiazzo, Anthony (October 20, 2010). "God of War Collection on the PlayStation Store 11/2". Sony Computer Entertainment. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- Scalzo, John. "Medal of Honor: Frontline, Breath of Fire IV added to PS Store". Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- "Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Trilogy Now Available". Electronictheatre.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Winfrey, Lorenzo (January 2, 2011). "HD Splinter Cell Compilation Coming In March As PS3 Exclusive". ZoKnowsGaming.com. Retrieved January 2, 2011.
- Reilly, Jim (December 19, 2010). "Tomb Raider Trilogy Confirmed". IGN. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- "Sengoku Basara HD Collection Warms Up To PlayStation 3 This Summer".
- "Sony Confirms Jak & Daxter PS3 Collection". IGN. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "Ratchet & Clank HD Collection Spotted". thesixthaxis. 2012-03-02.
- "Report: Hitman HD Collection Listed by Retailer". IGN. 2012-06-01. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (2012-05-08). "Nomura suggests Kingdom Hearts 3 will launch on home console". EuroGamer. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "Kingdom Hearts HD Collection Announced". GameInformer. September 19, 2012. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- "Beyond Good & Evil HD Trophies". PS3Trophies.org. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Devil May Cry HD Collection - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2012-03-30. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- By Spencer . April 26, 2012 . 2:00pm (2012-04-26). "Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 2 HD Version Morphs Onto PS3 In July". Siliconera. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "TGS 2011: Square Enix Reveals Final Fantasy X HD - PSP News". Psxextreme.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "God of War Collection - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2009-11-06. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "God of War Origins - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2011-08-25. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2011-03-02. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Update: Sony Confirms Jak & Daxter PS3 Collection - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Bateman, Ben. "Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX coming to Europe!". SQUARE ENIX EU blog. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- Peeler, Robert (February 25, 2013). "Announcing KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 ReMIX". Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Karmali, Luke (October 14, 2013). "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix coming to PS3 in 2014". IGN. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- "K-On! Houkago Live!! HD Ver. for PlayStation 3". GameRankings. 2012-06-21. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Medal of Honor: Frontline, Breath of Fire IV added to PS Store". Warp Zoned. 2011-08-16. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- McElroy, Griffin (2011-05-22). "Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD footage shows the PSP Remaster polish". Joystiq. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Prince of Persia Classic Trilogy HD - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2011-02-15. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "The Ratchet And Clank Trilogy – Coming May 2012 – PlayStation.Blog.Europe". Blog.eu.playstation.com. 2012-03-15. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- By Spencer . May 10, 2012 . 2:48am (2012-05-10). "Ratchet: Deadlocked Will Get A HD Remake, But It's Only For PlayStation Network". Siliconera. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc HD - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Resident Evil: Revival Selection - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2011-03-24. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- By Ishaan . January 29, 2012 . 9:00am (2012-01-29). "Sengoku Basara HD Collection Warms Up To PlayStation 3 This Summer". Siliconera. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Silent Hill HD Collection - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "The Sly Collection - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2010-11-16. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Tekken Hybrid - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2011-08-16. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Tomb Raider Trilogy - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Dezmund-AltairSep 05, 2012 (2011-01-31). "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Classic Trilogy HD - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Tony Pro Skater HD - PlayStation 3 - Computer and Video Games". www.computerandvideogames.com. 2012-08-13. Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "Zone of the Enders HD Collection - PlayStation 3 - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. 2012-06-05. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Cardona, Cristian (August 28, 2012). "PlayStation Collections Available at Retail Today: God of War, inFAMOUS, Ratchet & Clank". PlayStation.Blog. Sony Computer Entertainment America. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- Cardona, Christian (August 6, 2012). "Never Stop Playing With PlayStation Collections". PlayStation.Blog. Sony Computer Entertainment America. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Exclusive Assassin’s Creed Ezio Trilogy to Launch on PS3 – PlayStation.Blog. Blog.us.playstation.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Best of PlayStation Network, Vol. 1 Arrives This June – PlayStation.Blog. Blog.us.playstation.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- "E3 2010: Sony Grabs EA Exclusives". Uk.ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Dutton, Fred (2011-06-27). "GoldenEye Reloaded in the works". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "The House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut - PlayStation 3". IGN. 2011-10-24. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Jet Set Radio HD Coming This Summer - IGN". Pc.ign.com. 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- "Sonic Adventure 2, Nights Into Dreams HD Release Dates - IGN". Ign.com. 2012-09-17. Retrieved 2012-10-28.
- "No More Heroes Wii Exclusive No More". ign.com/ps3. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- "Resident Evil Chronicles HD Collection confirmed - PlayStation Universe". Psu.com. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Dutton, Fred (2011-02-03). "Tales of Graces F gets Western release News • News • PlayStation 3 •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Romano, Sal (June 1, 2013). "Tales of Symphonia Chronicles announced for PS3". Gematsu. Retrieved May 31, 2013.