High Kick! (season 2)
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (May 2014)|
|High Kick Through The Roof|
|Created by||Chorokbaem Media|
|Opening theme||Hooni Hoon "High Kick Through the Roof" (Feat. Seo Ye Na)|
|Ending theme||Kim Cho-han "You Are My Girl!"|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||126|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original channel||MBC [HD]|
|Original release||September 7, 2009 – March 19, 2010|
|Preceded by||High Kick!|
|Followed by||High Kick: Revenge of the Short Legged|
|Revised Romanization||Jibungttulgo Haikik|
High Kick Through The Roof (지붕뚫고 하이킥; Jibungttulgo Haikik, literal translation: "High Kick Through The Roof") was a popular South Korean situational comedy revolving around the life of the Lee family. The daily drama was set in Seoul at the same time as the broadcast (Autumn, 2009 - Spring, 2010). The title of the show references several things, one of which is the high kicks of Hyun-kyung, one of the main characters. As usual for Korean dramas, it was broadcast nightly on weeknights. Due to its popularity, the show filmed more episodes than was initially planned. Many of the actors and actresses rose to fame as a result of this drama.
- 1 Cast
- 2 Awards
- 3 Original Soundtrack
- 4 Staff
- 5 International broadcast
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Most characters use the actors' real names (with the exception of surnames).
- Lee Soon-jae (이순재, Lee Soon-jae)
- President of the self-named food company Lee Soon-jae F&B and family patriarch (grandfather of Hae-ri and Jun-hyeok) in the drama. His distinguishing characteristic is his explosive farting. His first wife, Hyun-kyung's mother, died several years ago from shock after misunderstanding his relationship with a secretary. Soon-jae's romantic pursuit of Kim Ja-ok causes conflict with his family, both due to his wife's death and Soon-jae's own inconsiderate and rash behavior with regards to his girlfriend. He is largely contemptuous of his son-in-law, whom he sees as an incompetent buffoon. He is also unreasonably jealous of Ja-ok's boarder Julien, seeing Julien as a romantic rival. He and Ja-ok get engaged and marry later in the series.
- Kim Ja-ok (김자옥, Kim Ja-ok)
- Soon Jae's girlfriend and vice principal of Hyeon-gyeong's high school. She sees herself as a highly delicate and stereotypically feminine young lady, despite her advanced years. Although her relationship with Lee Soon-jae reflects this aspect of her personality, Ja-ok is also revealed as a firm landlady and an overbearing individual in her relationship with Hyun-kyung, who is the P.E. teacher at her school. Ms. Ja-ok is the Vice Principal of the high school (also attended by Jun-hyeok), and is known as the "Pervert Vice-Principal" because she twists male students' nipples as a form of corporal punishment. Her personal tastes and behavior are that of a little girl; she sleeps with a teddy bear and decorates her room as such. She later marries Soon Jae.
- Lee Hyun-kyung (이현경, Oh Hyun-kyung)
- A former Taekwondo champion, Hyun-kyung is a strong willed woman who firmly runs her household. A PE teacher at her son's high school, she and the vice principal (Ja-ok) often have personality conflicts. She rarely takes issues personally and is a disciplinarian both at home and at work. Although thrifty, she is generous to people when the situation merits. Towards the end of the series, she becomes pregnant.
- Jeong Bo-seok (정보석, Jeong Bo-seok)
- Bo-seok is Hyun-kyung’s husband and the bumbling Vice President of Lee Soon-jae F&B (Food & Beverage). He is often ignored and disregarded in household matter because of his low IQ and lack of common sense. However, he is also his daughter's favorite relative, and is a man of good intentions. Unfortunately, his lack of intelligence earns him no respect within the family, particularly his father-in-law and wife. He is often a scapegoat of his father in-law's mistakes, but is also the cause of many of the company's problems. Middle-aged Japanese women find him irresistible (thus the nickname Bo-sama), and non-household members often find him initially charming. He is also good at foot volleyball; at an inter business championship, he led his team to victory.
- Lee Ji-hoon (이지훈, Choi Daniel)
- Hyun-kyung's brother who also lives with her family. He is perceived as cold hearted, but he is just too preoccupied with work matters to pay close attention to those around him. He is actually a warm, lovely and funny man. A graduate of Seoul National University's medical school, he is a third-year surgical resident at Cho Rok Hospital. He is intellectually gifted and has many achievements, but does not boast or brag about them. Although he lives with his family, he is largely indifferent to household matters as his work keeps him away. He is the first in his family to reach out to Se-kyung and Shin-ae. Through a variety of comic circumstances, he also falls in love with Jun-hyeok’s tutor, Hwang Jung-eum. They begin dating. But then, due to Hwang Jung-eum's difficulty, she forces Ji-hoon to break up with her. At last, Ji-hoon realizes that Se-kyung likes him, but he can't return her feeling due to he still cannot get over Jung-eum and intends to get back with her.
- Hwang Jung-eum (황정음, Hwang Jung-eum)
- Jun-hyeok’s English tutor and boarder of Kim Ja-ok. Jung-eum is a below average university student attending the fictitious Seoun University, a low level university outside of Seoul. However, due to an error, Hyun-kyung mistakes her as a Seoul National University (the top public university in Korea) student and hires her as Jun-hyeok’s tutor. She takes the job out of desperation, and conceals her true university enrollment a secret for most of the series. She is fiscally irresponsible because of her obsession with being fashionable, feminine, and cute. Despite her cutesy mannerisms, Jung-eum has a strong personality that drives her to do impossible things. She falls in love with Ji-hoon through a serious of incidents, but initially disdains his cold and (to her) arrogant personality while also rejecting Sae-ho’s teenage crush on her. She later develops a serious relationship and dates with Ji-hoon. But then she forces him to break up with her.
- Jeong Jun-hyeok (정준혁, Yoon Shi-yoon)
- Jun-hyeok is the tough, semi-rebellious teenage son of Lee Hyun-kyung and Jeong Bo-seok, and Hae-ri’s older brother. He is lax in is studies, but is sharp and is a good judge of character. He is initially very rude to his new tutor, Jeong-eum, but later comes to accept her because of her sincerity and he begins to like her. But then when realizing Se-kyung’s charms and beauty, he develops an intense crush on his noona (term for a slighter older female), willing to do anything for her. Jung-eum mistakenly thinks he loves her until she sees a picture of Se-kyung in his notebook. He’s known for fighting in school and is best friends with Kang Sae-ho. He is jealous of Se-kyung's attraction toward his uncle, and continually tries to impress her. He succeeds in making her to like him but loses to his uncle in winning her heart.
- Shin Se-kyung (신세경, Shin Se-kyung)
- The series centers around Se-kyung and Shin-ae's involvement with the Lee family . Se-kyung is Shin-ae’s highly reserved older sister and finds work as the Lee household’s live-in housekeeper after a mad escapade involving her father’s debt to some loan sharks. She is diligent and frugal, but also initially lacks aspirations. She is clearly more intelligent than her position allows for and longs to go to school as her peers do. Other characters come to admire her, particularly Jun-hyeok and Julien. She is unaware of most of her virtues (including beauty), and approaches the modernity of Seoul with wide-eyed bewilderment and willingness to try new things. She knows Jun-hyeok's love for her before he reveals it. She does like Jun-hyeok, but she really loves Ji-hoon. Julien also had a crush on her in from the beginning, which is revealed later in the series.
- Jeong Hae-ri (정해리, Jin Ji-hee)
- Daughter of Lee Hyun-kyung and Jeong Bo-seok, and Jun-hyeok’s younger sister. Hae-ri is a spoiled and selfish elementary school girl. She is initially abusive towards Shin-ae, but later grows quite attached to her, but would never verbally admit it. She has a voracious love of kalbi (a short rib dish), which often causes her constipation. She is rude to those she dislikes. As such, her trademark phrase is “ppangkkuttongkku,” which approximately translates to “farty butthole”; she also speaks to elders in banmal (casual speech). Like her father, she is not academically gifted and shows little ambition to do anything other than inherit her grandfather’s riches and live in wealth her entire life.
- Shin Shin-ae (신신애, Seo Shin-ae)
- Shin-ae is Se-kyung’s younger sister. Her bright-eyed enthusiasm earns her top grades at her school, despite her having been living in the backwoods of Taebaek for several years. She has boundless energy and has a close knit, loving relationship with her older sister. She has a charming personality and cuteness that wins over almost everyone she meets, with the notable exception of Hye-ri.
- Kang Sae-ho (강세호, Lee Gi-kwang)
- Jun-hyeok's best friend and high school buddy. Academically gifted and physically fit, he quickly develops an tremendous crush on Hwang Jung-eum and becomes her merely annoying “stalker,” often shutting himself in Jun-hyeok’s closet during tutoring sessions to just to watch her. He is Jun-hyeok's confidant and encourages him to confess his love for Se-kyung.
- Julien (줄리엔, 줄리엔 강, Julien Kang)
- An American living at Kim Ja-ok’s traditional Korean house. He is fluent in Korean, French, and American English. He bonds with the Shin sisters when he takes them in and helps them to find work in Seoul, and continues his friendship with the sisters after they begin living in the Lee household. He is highly attractive because of his height, model-like looks, and toned physique, and is seen constantly working out. He also becomes an English teacher at Ja-ok and Hyun-kyung’s school. He also had a crush on Se-kyung in the beginning of the series.
- Yoo In-na(유인나, Yoo In-na)
- A carefree friend and co-boarder with Jung-eum and Julien. In-na is in a long-term relationship with Gwang-soo, and hopes to become a famous singing group with him. Although Jung-eum’s friend, In-na is highly aware of her tendency to not repay loans, and mooching off others.
- Lee Gwang-soo(이광수, Lee Gwang-soo)
- In-na’s boyfriend and Kim Ja-ok’s least favorite boarder because of her prejudice against his ungainly appearance. He is kind and very supportive of his girlfriend, even though she finds success and fame without him.
- Shin Dal-ho (신달호, Jung Seok-yeong)
- Se-kyung & Shin-ae's father. Although he lives with his daughters in what Se-kyung accurately describes as Stone-age farming conditions in the mountains, he is quickly found by debt-sharks after being photographed on a blog and essentially drops from the story after his daughters arrive in Seoul.
- Bong (봉실장, Lee Bong-won)
- Director of Lee Soon-jae F&B. He can do Japanese translation work, and has sent his daughter to study the violin in the United States.
- Song Ju-yeon (송주연, Song Ju-yeon)
- Hae-ri & Shin-ae's elementary school teacher.
- Hong Sun-chang (홍순창, Hong Sun-chang)
- The Principal of Jun-hyeok’s high school, and a rival for Ja-ok’s attentions.
- Im Chae-hong (임채홍, Im Chae-hong)
- Lee Soon-jae F&B’s official chauffeur.
- Lee Seo-hyun (이서현, Yoon Seo-hyun)
- A contract P.E. instructor.
- Baek Seung-hee (백승희, Baek Seung-hee)
- Secretary to Lee Soon-jae, and thus subject to Soon-jae’s explosive and smelly gas attacks.
- Choi Jae-won (최재원, Choi Jae-won)
- Jun-hyeok's former English Tutor. Although they initially had a firm connection, Jae-won is a moocher whose uselessness (true even in comparison to Jung-eum) leads Jun-hyeok to re-evaluate Jae-won’s character. Fired early on for failing to raise Jun-hyeok’s poor grades.
- Doctor Min & Doctor An
- Ji-hoon’s colleagues.
- Lee Min-ho (이민호, Kim Hye-sung)
- Minho, the elder brother of the Unstoppable High Kick Lee family, makes a cameo appearance in the first episode. He and his friend Hyeong-wook are lost in the Taebaek Mountains. They are found and taken in by the Shin family. After developing a close relationship, he takes a picture of them and uploads it to his blog. This allows the loan sharks to find Shin Dal-ho and forces Se-kyung and Shin-ae to run away to Seoul, setting the plot in motion.
- No Hyeong-wook (노형욱, No Hyeong-wook)
- Also a Seoul college student.
- Kwak Jeong-wook (곽정욱, Kwak Jeong-wook)
- Student at Jun-hyeok’s high school.
Son Yeo-eun (손여은, Son Yeo-eun) : One of Ji-hoon’s early blind dates, set up for him by Hyun-kyung. Unfortunately, Yeo-eun is exposed to Ji-hoon’s less-than-charming social obliviousness as he notes her jaundiced eyes and inquires in public whether her urine is brown and bubbly. Her cameo ends with her furious reaction to Ji-hoon as he ignores her to watch an important baseball game.
- Kim Jung-ryul (김정렬, Kim Jung-ryul)
- Song Gwi-hyeon (송귀현, Song Gwi-hyeon)
- Bo-seok’s father, who (in a flashback) refuses to acknowledge his son’s low IQ.
- Lee Hong-ryul (이홍렬, Lee Hong-ryul)
- Ma Dun-tak (마둔탁, Jeong Jun-ha)
- Jeong Jun-ha, who played as the unemployed father from "Unstoppable High Kick!", cameos as an incredible baseball player who was Bo-seok’s rival for Hyun-kyung in college. He obviously lost Hyun-kyung’s affections (having never obtained them), but went on to be a star baseball player.
- Pyo In-bong (표인봉, Pyo In-bong)
- A competition coordinator.
- Seo Ji-seok (서지석, Seo Ji-seok)
- Ji-hoon's Friend.
- Park Kyung-lim (박경림, Park Kyung-lim)
- An alum of Hyun-kyung’s University, and parody of Queen of Housewives.
- Jeong Kyu-soo (정규수, Jeong Kyu-soo)
- Owner of a soondae and ddubboki shop in front of Hae-ri and Shin-ae’s elementary school; Kyu-soo keeps Shin-ae captive for one day after Shin-ae unthinkingly eats a mass of food for his shop without knowing Hae-ri had not paid for it.
- Jang Jun-hyup (장준협, Ryu Seung-soo)
- Chorok Hospital Chief of Surgery
- Kim Yong-jun (김용준, Kim Yong-jun)
- A veterinarian at the animal hospital.
- Jeong Kyo-bin (정교빈, Kang Bit)
- Hae-ri’s temporary boyfriend, a Gu Jun-pyo-type character whose extravagant ways belie his youth. Although he initially pursues Hae-ri, Kyo-bin instantly falls for Shin-ae, and the elementary-school love triangle results in a “Temptation of the Wife” parody.
- Jung Il-woo (정일우, Jung Il-woo)
- Original main character from High Kick!’s first season, Il Woo portrays Jung-eum’s first love and the original owner of her dog. Although he left her to ostensibly travel the world, his character suffered from a terminal illness and passed away.
- Chae Sang-woo (채상우, Chae Sang-woo)
- Acquaintance of Shin-ae’s when she is addicted to the doll-draw machine.
- Yun Ki-won (윤기원, Yun Ki-won)
- A mentally-ill man who convinces Bo-seok that he is an agent from the year 2109, when robots have taken over the world.
- Lee Yu-ri (이유리, Park Ji-yeon)
- A tough, ulzzang high schooler who crushes on Jun-hyeok. After being rejected by him, however, she persistently pursues him until he desperately has Hwang Jung-eum pose as his girlfriend.
- Lee So-jung (이소정, Lee So-jung)
- Ji-hoon's colleague at the hospital and friend.
- Jeong Ga-eun (정가은, Jeong Ga-eun)
- Bo-seok friend's girlfriend who went to the United States; Ga-eun is Bo-seok’s first love.
- Soy (소이, Soy)
- An American, Julien’s friend.
- Yoon Jong-shin & Jang Han-jun (윤종신 & 장한정, Yoon Jong-shin & Jang Han-jun)
- Elders who helps Jung-eum and In-na install electronics.
- Sa Eun-pung (사은풍, Kim Han-suk)
- Knows Gwang-soo and In-na .
- Hooni Hoon (후니훈, Hooni Hoon)
- Hip Hop Bo-seok in the liver of the club DJ.
- Kim Bum (김범, Kim Bum)
- A cast-member from the original High Kick; Kim Bum is an engineering student
- Kim Gyeong-jin (김경진, Kim Gyeong-jin)
- A homeless person who received Christmas present from Hwang Jung Eum which originally was for Lee Ji-Hoon.
- Kim Gyeong-ryong (김경룡, Kim Gyeong-ryong)
- Owns a prime-rib restaurant.
- Lee Cham (이참, Huh Cham)
- Younger Brother of Soon-jae.
- Yang Hun (양헌, Yang Hun)
- Jang Jung-hee (장정희, Jang Jung-hee)
- 'Chorok Hospitals' head nurse.
- Yang Taek-jo (양택조, Yang Taek-jo)
- Grandmother with dementia.
- Lee Na-bong (이나봉, Lee Na-young)
- Ji-hoon's first love and heartbreak.
- Park Yeong-gyu (박영규, Park Yeong-gyu)
- Kim Ja-Ok's Junior
- Jung Kyung-ho (정경호, Jung Kyung-ho)
- Tiger JK (타이거 JK, Tiger JK)
- Gwang-soo's friend.
- Jun Hwan-kyu (전환규, Jun Hwan-kyu)
- Jung Woong-in (정웅인, Jung Woong-in)
- Park Ji-sung (박지성, Oh Sang-jin)
- Kim Tae-won (김태원, Kim Tae-won)
- Cho Won-seok (조원석, Cho Won-seok)
- Appears in In-na’s music video.
- Yong Jun-hyung (용준형, Yong Jun-hyung)
- A member of B2ST or BEAST, a Korean boy band that also includes Gi kwang. Stars as himself, a member of B2ST.
- Jung Suk-won (정석원, Jung Suk-won)
- Jeong Hae-ri (정해리, Park Shin-hye)
- Adult Hae-ri.
- 4Minute (포미닛, 4Minute)
- Seonwoo Yong-nyeo (선우용녀, Seonwoo Yong-nyeo)
||Best Couple Award in a Sitcom/Comedy||Yoon Shi-yoon and Shin Se-kyung|
|Best Young Actor/Actress||Jin Ji-hee|
|Best New Actor in a Sitcom/Comedy||Choi Daniel|
|Best New Actress in a Sitcom/Comedy||Shin Se-kyung|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Lee Soon-jae|
||Best New Actress in TV||Hwang Jung-eum|
||Most Popular Actress||Hwang Jung-eum|
|Special Jury Prize||Kim Byung-wook|
||Photogenic Award, TV Actress category||Hwang Jung-eum|
||Fantasia Award||Choi Daniel, Shin Se-kyung|
||Lifetime Achievement Award||Lee Soon-jae|
- High Kick Through The Roof OST Part 1, Part 2 been released, Part 3 & off-line on the next album will be available in.
High Kick Through The Roof OST Part 1
- High Kick Through The Roof (지붕뚫고 하이킥) - Hooni Hoon (Ft. Seo Ye Na)
- You Are My Girl - Kim Cho Han
- Don't Say Goodbye - Kim Cho Han
- Open Your Mind (Ft. Kim Cho Han) - Soul Breeze
High Kick Through The Roof OST Part 2
- Hold On Your Breath (숨을 참아요) - Seo Ye Na
- The Road To Me (내게 오는 길) - Yoon Shi-yoon
- Don't Look Back, High Kick (뒤돌아 보지마 하이킥) - Kim Cho Han
High Kick Through The Roof OST Special Edition
- You're My Girl - Kim Jo Han
- Little Girl (Instrumental)
- High Kick Through The Roof - Hooni Hoon (Ft. Seo Ye na)
- Present For You (Instrumental)
- The Road To Me (Studio Version) - Yoon Shi-yoon
- Trying To Find Her - Kim Jo Han
- Don't Say Goodbye - Kim Jo Han
- Beautiful Love (Instrumental)
- Friday Night - Hooni Hoon
- Scream (소리질러) - Hooni Hoon
- Say Ho - Hooni Hoon (Ft. Nacko)
- Open Your Mind - Soul Breeze (Ft. Kim Jo Han)
- Hold On Your Breath - Seo Ye Na
- Planning : Kwon Ik-jun
- Producer: Kim Byeong-wook, Jo Chan-ju, Kim Yung-ki
- Making: Choi Hee-seok, Park Soon-tae
- Writing: Lee Ji-hyun, Lee Yung-chul, Lee So-jeong, Cho Seung-hee,
- Making : [Chorokbaem Media]
It aired in Japan on cable channel KNTV.