High Lane shown within Greater Manchester
|Area||675 km2 (261 sq mi) |
|- Density||8.66 /km2 (22.4 /sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Metropolitan county||Greater Manchester|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||Hazel Grove|
High Lane is a village in the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, Greater Manchester, England. Historically within Cheshire, it is five miles (8 km) from Stockport, on the Macclesfield Canal. It has a population of 5852.
High Lane lies in the Marple South ward of Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council. It lies in the Hazel Grove parliamentary constituency and the current Member of Parliament (from 1997) is Andrew Stunell, a member of the Liberal Democrats.
High Lane lies five miles (8 km) to the southeast of Stockport. It is bordered by the villages of Marple to the north; Hazel Grove to the west; Disley to the east; Poynton to the south. It lies on the A6 road (which goes from London to Carlisle). Most of the village is spread along this road.
The population is 5,852. 95% of the population are White British. 82% of the population give their religion as Christian, and 9.8% have no religion. 64% of the population are economically active; 24% are retired.
- Higher managerial and professional - 11%
- Lower managerial and professional - 21%
- Intermediate occupations - 11%
- Small employers and own account workers - 9.6%
- Lower supervisory and technical - 5.3%
- Semi-routine - 8.0%
- Routine - 4.8%
- Never worked and long-term unemployed - 1.3%
There is a war memorial in the centre of the village. At the edge of the village is Wybersley Hall.
The village sits on the Macclesfield Canal, the Middlewood Way and the A6, a major trunk road in England connecting Luton in the south with Carlisle in the north. The nearest railway station to High Lane is Middlewood. The very long Disley Tunnel, on the Hope Valley Line, passes underneath the village.
- St Thomas' Church - Anglican. Built 1851; consecrated 1859; enlarged 1866. In modern Norman style.
- Windlehurst Methodist Church - Methodist
There are three parks in High Lane, Brookside Park, Windlehurst Park and High Lane Park, which is the largest and in 2000 had a small skatepark installed. In the summer of 2010 renovations were completed and an extension to the children's play area was constructed. "Windlehurst Park" is known to many locals as "the little park". There has now been another park built on Windlehurst called Winstanley Park which has been named after "Sir Nicholas Winstanley" a local author.
- Christopher Isherwood - author
- John Bradshaw - associate of Cromwell and England's only ever president
- Sir Nicholas Winstanley - author and priest
- Christopher Samba - Blackburn Rover football club captain
- Daniel Pepper - Paralympian swimmer
- Census, 2001