High Mountain Rangers
|High Mountain Rangers|
|Created by||Robert Conrad
David J. Kinghorn
|Directed by||Joan Conrad
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12 (List of episodes)|
|Original run||2 January 1988 – 9 April 1988|
It starred Robert Conrad as Jesse Hawkes and also starred his two sons, Christian Conrad and Shane Conrad. Robert's daughter Joan was the executive producer. Only 12 episodes were broadcast, from January 2, 1988 until April 9, 1988 on CBS, before the low-rated show was cancelled (due to fierce competition from NBC's The Facts of Life and 227). Although the series lasted just one season, it had a spin-off titled Jesse Hawkes. That show was canceled after only six episodes.
List of episodes
Episode titles, synopses and original broadcast dates:
1. The Only Place To Live - January 2, 1988
2. Old Friends, New Friends - January 9, 1988
3. Accused Of Murder - January 16, 1988
Jesse stands trial for the killing of his longtime arch-nemesis T.J. Cousins.
4. The Washout - January 23, 1988
An old rival from Matt's HMR training days reappears to settle a score.
5. Cross-Sierra Blizzard - January 30, 1988
A snowstorm complicates a high-profile race.
6. The Ambassador's Honeymoon - February 6, 1988
The HMRs must bodyguard newlywed VIPs.
7. The Bear - February 13, 1988
Deaf children are stalked by the title animal.
8. Sacred Ground - February 20, 1988
9. Jesse The Hunted - February 27, 1988
Jesse is wounded by drunken hunters.
10. A Skier's Defection - March 5, 1988
A Russian athlete seeks a shortcut on the long road to American citizenship.
11. Happy Anniversary - March 23, 1988
An avalanche traps Matt with some skiers.
12. Wargames - April 9, 1988
Jesse and Cody are pinned down when a family paintball tournament is taken too far.
- Robert Conrad as Jesse Hawkes
- Christian Conrad as Matt "Flying Tiger" Hawkes
- Shane Conrad as Cody Hawkes
- Russell Todd as Jim "Flash" Cutler
- Pa Neumuller (billed as P.A. Christian) as Robin "Frostbite" Kelly
- Timothy Erwin as Izzy "the Pocatello Kid" Flowers
- Eugene Williams as Tim "Black Magic" Hart
- Tony Acierto as Frank "White Eagle" Avila
Ex-Marine Jesse Hawkes started the High Mountain Rangers 35 years ago. He retired after hauling his long-time nemesis, murderous criminal mastermind T.J. Cousins, to justice. Spared the death penalty on a legal technicality, Cousins instead was given life imprisonment without eligibility for parole. Meanwhile, Jesse's eldest son Matt tries out for the HMRs and eventually becomes the team's #2 Ranger...after Merlin, who has succeeded Jesse as director. Then Cousins gets broken out of jail by his hoods, and fatally ambushes Merlin. Now, as the team's third director, Matt urges his father out of retirement to help the Rangers recapture Cousins.
(performed by Lee Greenwood)
In the mountains, where life's always hard
Far away from the neon backyard
Where a man who was strong came to stay
Making peace with the earth, finding love on the way
'Cause he's a High Mountain Ranger
Just a man who ties his dreams to the land
And though there's times that are lonely, he won't ever go
No life within him, in the city below
Not for the High Mountain Ranger
With all that he loves by his side
And his world is rich, its beauty is free
Reaching out as far as you see
And for a High Mountain Ranger, all this is home.