High School Confidential (film)
|High School Confidential|
|Directed by||Jack Arnold|
|Produced by||Albert Zugsmith|
|Written by||Robert Blees
|Starring||Mamie Van Doren
Jerry Lee Lewis
|Music by||Albert Glasser|
|Cinematography||Harold J. Marzorati|
|Editing by||Ben Lewis|
|Release dates||June 13, 1958|
|Running time||85 minutes|
The film also features a cameo by Jerry Lee Lewis who opens the movie singing a song of the same name, which Lewis co-wrote with Ron Hargrave. Lewis released the title track as a Sun Records 45 single which became a Top 40 hit, reaching #21 on the Billboard charts. The film is listed in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book The Official Razzie Movie Guide as one of The 100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made.
- Russ Tamblyn as Tony Baker/Mike Wilson
- Jan Sterling as Arlene Williams
- John Drew as J. I. Coleridge
- Diane Jergens as Joan Staples
- Mamie Van Doren as Gwen Dulaine
- Jerry Lee Lewis as Himself
- Ray Anthony as Bix
- Jackie Coogan as Mr. 'Mr. A' August
- Charles Chaplin, Jr. as Quinn
- Michael Landon as Steve Bentley
- Lyle Talbot as William Remington Kane
- Robin Raymond as Kitty
According to MGM records the film earned $1,290,000 in the US and Canada and $625,000 elsewhere, resulting in a profit of $578,000. However the follow up films Zugsmith made for the studio - Girl Town, The Beat Generation and Platinum High School - all lost money.
In popular culture
This film in sampled on White Zombie's album La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Vol. 1 on four separate occasions. The "Do you want to start a rumble?" conversation, the "Drop it, buster!" line, the "tomorrow's a drag" poem, and the Columbus speech ("the only thing square about this world...").
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- Crouse, Richard (2003-09-01). The 100 Best Movies You've Never Seen. ECW Press. p. 115. ISBN 1-550-22590-1.
- Denisoff, R. Serge; Romanowski, William D. (1990). Risky Business: Rock in Film. Transaction Publishers. p. 96. ISBN 0-887-38843-4.
- Havers, Richard; Evans, Richard (2010-04-01). The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll. Book Sales Inc. p. 76. ISBN 0-785-82625-4.
- Wilson, John (2005). The Official Razzie Movie Guide: Enjoying the Best of Hollywood's Worst. Grand Central Publishing. ISBN 0-446-69334-0.
- High School Confidential at the Internet Movie Database
- High School Confidential at AllMovie
- High School Confidential at the TCM Movie Database
|This article about a crime drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|