High Steward (academia)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
The High Steward in the universities of Oxford and Cambridge (sometimes erroneously known as the Lord High Steward) is a university official. Originally a deputy for the Chancellor, the office of High Steward had by the 18th century undergone the same evolution and become a position by which the universities honoured prominent external figures. The High Stewards still retain some functions relating to adjudication in disputes, appeals, and deputizing if there is a vacancy in the Chancellorship. In Oxford, the office of High Steward is now more similar to the office of Commissary in Cambridge.
In Cambridge, the High Steward is elected by the members of the University Senate voting in person, one of that body's few remaining functions, and holds office until he or she voluntarily resigns or until the Senate otherwise determines. The Deputy High Steward is appointed by the High Steward by Letters Patent. The High Steward and the Deputy High Steward perform "such duties as have heretofore been customary and any duties prescribed by Statute or Ordinance". When the office of High Steward is vacant the duties of that office are performed by the Deputy High Steward.
In Oxford, the High Steward is appointed by the Chancellor of the University.
High Stewards of the University of Cambridge
- Lopham, Thomas 1418
- Harcourt, Robert 1446 
- Bray, Reginald, Sir, before 1503
- Empson, Richard, Sir 1504
- Mordaunt, John, Sir 1504
- Ormston, Roger, Sir 1504
- Lovell, Thomas, Sir 1509
- Winkfield/Wingfield, Richard, Sir 1524
- More, Thomas, Sir 1525
- Blount, William, Lord Mountjoy 1529
- Cromwell, Thomas 1534 **
- Howard, Thomas, Duke of Norfolk (1554) 1540
- William Paget, 1st Baron Paget (1554–1563)
- Dudley, Robert, Earl of Leicester 1563
- Hatton, Christopher, Sir 1588
- Cecil, Robert, Sir (Earl of Salisbury, 1605) 1591 **
- Howard, Thomas (Earl of Suffolk, 1603) 1601 **
- Coke, Edward, Sir 1614
- Montagu, Henry, Earl of Manchester 1634
- Craven, William, Earl of Craven 1667
- Montagu Charles, Earl of Manchester 1697
- Arthur Annesley, 5th Earl of Anglesey (1722–37)
- Thomas Pelham-Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle (1737–42)
- Wriothesley, Thomas Earl of Southampton (1742–49)
- Philip Yorke, 1st Earl of Hardwicke (1749–64)
- Philip Yorke, 2nd Earl of Hardwicke (1764–90)
- William Pitt the Younger (1790–1806) 
- Philip Yorke, 3rd Earl of Hardwicke (1806–34) 
- Hugh Percy, 3rd Duke of Northumberland (1834–40) ** 
- John Copley, 1st Baron Lyndhurst (1840–1863) 
- Edward Herbert, 3rd Earl of Powis (1863–91) 
- Thomas de Grey, 6th Baron Walsingham (1891–1919)
- Robert Windsor-Clive, 1st Earl of Plymouth (1919–23) 
- Victor Cavendish, 9th Duke of Devonshire (1923–38) 
- Cavendish, Andrew Robert Buston 10th Duke of Devonshire 1938
- Viscount Ruffside (1951–58)
- Lord Butler (1958–66)
- Lord Devlin (1966–91)
- Lord Runcie ( -2001)
- Dame Bridget Ogilvie (2001–2009)
- Lord Watson of Richmond (2010- )
** Elected Chancellor of Cambridge University
- University Statutes, Statute D, Chapter V, University of Cambridge, UK.
- "Paget, William (PGT506W)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Pitt, William (PT773W)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Yorke, Philip (YRK774P)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Percy, Hugh (PRCY802HE)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Copley, John (CPLY790JS)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Herbert, Edward (HRBT837EJ)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Windsor-Clive, Robert (CLV875RG)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Cavendish, Victor (CVNS887VC)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Cambridge University Reporter, 26 July 2000.
- Cambridge University Reporter, 31 January 2001.
- Alumni News, 10 December 2009.