High Voltage Software
|This article is outdated. (July 2014)|
|Type||Independent video game developer|
|Founder(s)||Kerry Ganofsky, CEO|
|Headquarters||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Owner(s)||Kerry Ganofsky, CEO|
|Subsidiaries||Red Eye Studios|
High Voltage Software (HVS) is an independent game development company established in 1993, located in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. Red Eye Studios, a motion capture facility, is a wholly owned subsidiary of HVS. High Voltage Software is known for the creation of the major self-funded Wii titles The Conduit and Animales de la Muerte, and previously for Tempest 2000 and Star Trek: Starfleet Academy for Sega's late-1990s video game consoles.
The company frequently works with a number of different publishers as each project ends, typically producing completely new and unrelated products back to back. Inside Drive, Hunter and The Conduit are their only products to have seen sequels.
In 2008 interviews, High Voltage leadership expressed interest in improving the quality of contemporary third-party Wii games. Chief Creative Officer Eric Nofsinger commented on the state of graphics on Wii, "Most of the games on the Wii look like crap. We want to change that, so we've invested heavily in our Wii tech over the past year." Founder Kerry Ganofsky was quoted as stating "We believe that third-party developers need to step up to the plate and deliver. The Wii platform is capable of a lot more than what consumers have seen so far. We're hoping to raise a new bar." According to Chief Creative Officer Eric Nofsinger, "Our [High Voltage Software's] goal is to be the most technically innovative Wii developer on the planet."
Quantum3 is a Wii-specific game engine developed by HVS. The engine itself had been used in several previous titles made by the developer, but was heavily upgraded for higher performance on the Wii. This engine allows for "full 16-TEV stage material pipeline using up to eight texture sources and a host of innovative blend operations," and "allows the developer to create graphic effects normally seen on other consoles with vertex and pixel shaders." These effects include bump-mapping, reflection and refraction, light and shadow maps and projections, specular and Fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, advanced alpha blends, gloss and detail mapping, motion blur, interactive water with complex surface effects, and animated textures, among other things. The Quantum3 engine also includes advanced artificial intelligence, allowing for NPCs and enemies in a game using the engine to possess "human-like behavior."
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2014)|
- Matt Casamassina. "Exclusive First Look: The Conduit". IGN.
- Ross Miller. "The Conduit gameplay trailer released". Joystiq.
- "Official: SEGA Publishes The Conduit". IGN. 2008-10-29. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- IGN: The Conduit Preview
- Casamassina, Matt (2008-04-17). "Exclusive First Look: The Conduit". IGN. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
- "High Voltage Software Lays Off Staff". Gamasutra.
- Magrino, Tom (2008-07-07). "Q&A: Eric Nofsinger channels The Conduit". Gamespot. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "High Voltage Software’s Eric Nofsinger Explains How Freedom, Feedback and Fans Channel into The Conduit". GameCyte. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- "Zoombies: Animales de la Muerte! for iOS (iPhone/iPad)". GameRankings. 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Le Vamp for iOS (iPhone/iPad)". GameRankings. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Victorious: Taking the Lead for Wii". GameRankings. 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Nickelodeon Dance 2 for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Toy Story Mania! for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-10-30. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Zone of the Enders HD Collection for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-10-30. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Kinect Star Wars for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-04-03. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Country Dance All Stars for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-03-27. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Country Dance 2 for Wii". GameRankings. 2011-11-01. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Country Dance for Wii". GameRankings. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Nicktoons MLB for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2011-09-13. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Captain America: Super Soldier for Wii". GameRankings. 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Conduit 2 for Wii". GameRankings. 2011-04-19. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Matt Casamassina. "Pre-E3 2009: Gladiator A.D. Revealed". IGN.
- "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer for Wii". GameRankings. 2010-11-11. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Tournament of Legends Reviews
- "High Voltage developing Wii version of Iron Man 2". GoNintendo.com. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- Iron Man 2 Reviews
- The Conduit Reviews
- Evasive Space Reviews
- High Voltage Hot Rod Show Reviews
- Gyrostarr Reviews
- V.I.P. Casino Blackjack Reviews
- Go, Diego, Go!: Safari Rescue Reviews
- America's Army: True Soldiers Reviews
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Reviews
- Ben 10: Protector of Earth Reviews
- Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law Reviews
- Family Guy Reviews
- Blitz: Overtime Reviews
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy Reviews
- Codename: Kids Next Door: Operation V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E. Reviews
- Call of Duty 2: Big Red One Reviews
- 50 Cent: Bulletproof G Unit Edition Reviews
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Reviews
- Zathura Reviews
- Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude Reviews
- Duel Masters Reviews
- The Haunted Mansion Reviews
- NBA Inside Drive 2004 Reviews
- Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer Reviews
- Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward Reviews
- Hunter: The Reckoning Reviews
- Disney's Stitch: Experiment 626 Reviews
- NBA Inside Drive 2002 Reviews
- "Monster Jam: Maximum Destruction for PC". GameRankings. 2002-12-20. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance Reviews
- All-Star Baseball 2001 Reviews
- Ground Control: Dark Conspiracy Reviews
- "NBA Inside Drive 2000 for PC". GameRankings. 2000-08-17. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Lego Racers Reviews
- Paperboy Reviews
- NCAA Final Four 97 Reviews
- "NCAA Basketball Final Four 97 for PlayStation". GameRankings. 1997-03-31. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Tempest X3 Reviews
- Tempest 2000 Reviews
- NBA Hangtime Reviews
- NBA Jam Tournament Edition Reviews
- Ruiner Pinball Reviews
- White Men Can't Jump Reviews