Higher Ground (Barbra Streisand album)
|Studio album by Barbra Streisand|
|Released||November 11, 1997|
|Producer||Barbra Streisand, Walter Afanasieff, David Foster, Arif Mardin, Jeremy Lubbock, Mervyn Warren|
|Barbra Streisand chronology|
Higher Ground is the 27th studio album by Barbra Streisand, her first in four years. The album was inspired by and dedicated to Virginia Clinton Kelley. It was released in North America on November 11, 1997 and a day earlier in Europe. Higher Ground was her eighth #1 album in the US and has sold more than 5 million copies worldwide.
- "I Believe/You'll Never Walk Alone" (Ervin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl, Al Stillman/Oscar Hammerstein II, Richard Rodgers) – 6:12
- "Higher Ground" (Kent Agee, Steve Dorff, George Green) – 4:24
- "At the Same Time" (Ann Hampton Callaway) – 4:18
- "Tell Him" (Walter Afanasieff, David Foster, Linda Thompson) – 4:52
- "On Holy Ground" (Geron Davis) – 6:14
- "If I Could" (Ken Hirsch, Ron Miller, Marti Sharron) – 4:25
- "Circle" (Jud Friedman, Cynthia Weil) – 4:15
- "The Water Is Wide/Deep River" (Traditional) – 5:33
- "Leading with Your Heart" (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Marvin Hamlisch) – 3:33
- "Lessons to Be Learned" (Dorothy Sea Gazeley, Marsha Malamet, Alan Rich) – 4:43
- "Everything Must Change" (Bernard Ighner) – 4:05
- "Avinu Malkeinu" (Max Janowski) – 4:07
Charts and Certifications
Year End Charts
Sales and Certifications
"Tell Him", a duet with Céline Dion, was released worldwide and was top 10 in 12 countries, peaking at at #1 in the Netherlands, #2 in Ireland, #3 in Belgium, Europe, France and the United Kingdom, #4 in Italy and Switzerland, and was a top ten hit in many other countries.
"Tell Him" sold well around the world, receiving platinum awards in the Netherlands (75,000), Belgium (50,000), and gold in the United Kingdom (400,000), France (400,000), Australia (35,000), Switzerland (25,000) and Norway (10,000). The single sold 2 million copies worldwide.
"Tell Him" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals in 1998.
"I Believe" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Instrumental Arrangement in 1999.
- Allmusic review
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- UK Albums Chart
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1997 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian album certifications – Barbra Streisand – Higher Ground". Music Canada.
- "Spanish album certifications – Barbra Streisand – Higher Ground" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España.
- "British album certifications – Barbra Streisand – Higher Ground". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Higher Ground in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Barbra Streisand – Higher Ground". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Harlem World by Mase
|Billboard 200 number-one album
November 29 - December 6, 1997
ReLoad by Metallica