Highland at night, 2008
Location of Highland, Utah
|Incorporated||July 13, 1977|
|• Total||8.5 sq mi (22.1 km2)|
|• Land||8.5 sq mi (22.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||4,977 ft (1,517 m)|
|• Density||1,900/sq mi (740/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|Area code(s)||385, 801|
|GNIS feature ID||1448472|
Highland is a city in Utah County, Utah, United States. It is approximately 30 miles (48 km) south of Salt Lake City and is part of the Provo–Orem Metropolitan Statistical Area. According to the 2010 census the population was 15,523, a 90.0% increase over the 2000 figure of 8,172.
As of the 2010 census Highland had a population of 15,523. The median age was 22. The racial makeup of the population was 95.9% white, 0.5% black or African America, 0.2% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.7% Pacific Islander, 0.5% from some other race and 1.5% from two or more races. 2.8% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,172 people, 1,804 households, and 1,733 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,174.0 people per square mile (453.3/km²). There were 1,864 housing units at an average density of 267.8 per square mile (103.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.49% White, 0.12% African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 0.73% from other races, and 1.11% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.17% of the population.
There were 1,804 households out of which 66.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 90.6% were married couples living together, 4.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 3.9% were non-families. 3.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.53 and the average family size was 4.64.
In the city the population was spread out with 45.1% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 23.5% from 25 to 44, 17.3% from 45 to 64, and 4.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 21 years. For every 100 females there were 104.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $80,053, and the median income for a family was $81,086. Males had a median income of $57,318 versus $24,440 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,614. About 1.8% of families and 2.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.6% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Notable natives and residents
- Thurl Bailey, retired NBA basketball player, whose career spanned from 1983 to 1999 with the Utah Jazz and the Minnesota Timberwolves
- Fraser Bullock, Managing Director of Sorenson Capital and former COO of the 2002 Winter Olympics
- Blair Buswell, artist who specializes in sports sculptures
- Ashly DelGrosso, dancer who starred on Dancing with the Stars for the first three seasons
- Brandon Mull, writer, best known as the author of the popular Fablehaven series
- Adrián Ochoa, second counselor in general presidency of the Young Men organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Jay Osmond, one of the original Osmond Brothers
- Dennis Smith, sculptor
- Tyler Haws, BYU basketball player
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Highland Quickfacts from the US Census Bureau" United States Census Bureau
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Highland city, Utah". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- David T. Durfy. Aberrant Mormon Settlers: The Homesteaders of Highland Utah Masters Thesis, BYU, 1992
- 2010 general profile of population and housing characteristics of Higland from the US census
- "Administration". Alpine School District. Retrieved 2012-06-16.
||Draper||Alpine||Wasatch Mountain State Park / Midway|
|Wasatch Mountain State Park / Charleston|
|Lehi||American Fork||Cedar Hills|