Highland Cemetery in Ypsilanti, Michigan is a 100 acres (400,000 m2) cemetery founded in 1864. It was designed by Col. James Lewis Glenn in 1863. The cemetery is the site of the Starkweather Memorial Chapel which was commissioned by Mary Ann Starkweather to honor her husband. The chapel, an example of Richardsonian Romanesque style, was designed by George D. Mason and completed in 1889. There is also a Civil War memorial on the cemetery grounds, which an inscription says was also presented by Mary Ann Starkweather. The entrance to the cemetery is located at 943 N. River St. The cemetery is located in a wooded area of oak, pine, cedar and willow trees. The gates at the cemetery entrance are constructed of decorative wrought iron and measure 10 feet (3.0 m) high and 81 inches (2.1 m) wide.
The Higland Cemetery Association, a non-profit cemetery company founded in 1863, owns and operates the cemetery. In 2009, the cemetery began sponsoring an ice cream social after the annual Ypsilanti Memorial Day parade which terminates at the cemetery.
Notable persons interred at Highland
- Edward P. Allen, US Congressman and Civil War veteran
- Owen Cleary, Michigan Secretary of State and president of Cleary College
- P. Roger Cleary, founder of Cleary College
- Byron M. Cutcheon, Civil War brevet brigadier general and Medal of Honor recipient and Congressman from Michigan to the U.S. House of Representatives
- Justus McKinstry, disgraced Civil War brigadier general
- Edwin F. Uhl, Mayor of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Ambassador to Germany and United States Assistant Secretary of State.
- Highland Cemetery Association (2010-07-13). "Highland Cemetery Association - Ypsilanti, MI". Manta.com. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "The Marker". Waymarking.com. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "Highland Cemetery - The Gates" (PDF). Ypsilanti Gleanings. Ypsilanti Historical Society. Summer 2008. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "arctangent's Photos". Arctangent.smugmug.com. 2010-03-04. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "Washtenaw County, Michigan Cemetery Index Page". Rootsweb.ancestry.com. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "Highland Cemetery Association". Lwfaaf.net. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "2nd Annual Memorial Day Ice Cream Social". AnnArbor.com. 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- Madonna, Paul (2011-05-13). "Review of "Rogue", a biography of Justus McKinstry". Powells.com. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "Highland Park Cemetery". Find A Grave. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- Kestenbaum, Lawrence. "Washtenaw County, Mich". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
Media related to Highland Cemetery at Wikimedia Commons