|Born||Ilanit Hila Elmalich
November 14, 1973
|Died||November 14, 2007(aged 34)|
Cause of death
|Heart failure from anorexia nervosa|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 8 in)|
Hila Elmalich (14 November 1973 - 14 November 2007) was an Israeli fashion model who died in 2007. Represented by the Israeli branch of the Elite Model Management modeling agency, she was once a famous fashion model in the country.
On November 14, 2007, Elmalich died weighing 22 kilograms, or 49 pounds, after years of fighting anorexia nervosa. Hila Elmalich had been hospitalized several times over the years due to her anorexia nervosa. She finally succumbed to it, collapsing and dying in her home due to heart failure. Her eating disorder had started around the time that she had become a model, which would put her at 13 years old.
Campaign for a minimum BMI for models
Adi Barkan's concern over Hila Elmalich's death led to new body weight and body mass index requirements that do not allow modeling agencies to hire any models who have a BMI (body mass index) less than 18.5, below which is considered underweight. This is supposed to encourage models to not be so thin and release the pressure for women to continually lose weight.
- List of deaths from anorexia nervosa
- List of models who died during their careers in the 21st century
- "Did Model Die From Pressure to Be Thin?" (1/2), 19 November 2007, ABC News
- "A healthy guide to modeling", 28 November 2007, Jerusalem Post
- "Model Killer: Dying to be Thin" at the Wayback Machine (archived December 8, 2008), 16 November 2007, WJLA-TV
- "Report: Model Hila Elmalich Dies", 17 November 2007, Entertainment Tonight
- "Ilanit (Hila) Elmalich, 34, Israel, model, anorexia, Nov. 14". WordPress. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Model Hila Elmalich Shocking Image at Death!". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Did Model Die From Pressure to Be Thin?". ABC news. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
|This biographical article about a model is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Israeli biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|