Hilary Rose (sociologist)
Hilary Ann Rose (née Chantler, born 1935) is a British sociologist specializing in sociology of science and social policy from a feminist perspective. She is visiting research professor of sociology at the London School of Economics and Professor Emerita of Social Policy at the University of Bradford. She was the Gresham Professor of Physic between 1999 and 2002.
Hilary Rose has published extensively in the sociology of science from a feminist perspective and has held numerous appointments in the UK, the US, Australia, Austria, Norway, Finland and at the Swedish Collegium for the Advanced Study of the Social Science. In 1997 she was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Uppsala for her contribution to the feminist sociology of science and in 2001 her book Love Power and Knowledge: Towards a feminist transformation of the sciences was listed one of the "101 Best Books of the 20th Century" published by the Portuguese Ministry of Culture. She collaborated for a number of years with the European Commission research division on mainstreaming women scientists in the European research system.
Together with her husband British neuroscientist Steven Rose she gave a three year lecture series on "Genetics and Society" as joint Professors of Physick at Gresham College London. One of the products of this collaboration was the edited book Alas Poor Darwin: Arguments Against Evolutionary Psychology published in 2000.
She is widely published, having authored, co-authored or co-edited 11 books and over 130 articles.
- Genes, Cells and Brains: The Promethean Promises of the New Biology (with Steven Rose), Verso, 2013 ISBN 9781844678815
- Alas, Poor Darwin: Escaping Evolutionary Psychology (with Steven Rose, Editors), Cape, 2000.
- Science and Society (with Steven Rose), Allen Lane, 1969. Penguin, 1970.
- Love, Power and Knowledge: Towards a Feminist Transformation of the Sciences, Polity Press, 1994 ISBN 0-7456-1001-3
- "Less Selfish than Sacred? Genes and the Religious Impulse in Evolutionary Psychology". The Guardian. 7 September 2001. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "The only weapon available". The Guardian. 26 May 2007. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- Regulating Human Genes – Hilary and Steven Rose lecture
- Professor Hilary Rose – profile at Gresham College