In 1995 she founded NewFaces.com, which was the first website to publish portfolios online and provide an online database for the casting of talent and models in the film and fashion industries. New Faces was also the first company to post castings online. By the year 2000, it had over 500,000 members (models, actors and photographers) with portfolios on the site.
In 2010 she began work on a social enterprise called Project Migration, which produces apparel at a women-run eco-factory in Africa with the purpose of building water wells and supporting medical clinics in areas of extreme poverty. The objective of the enterprise is to provide job opportunities for single mothers, access to clean water and medical care. Celebrities, like Cameron Diaz, Alicia Keyes, Adrian Grenier, and Bradley Cooper have worn Project Migration clothing or accessories. As a result of the project and by November 2011, clean water has been made available to 750 people and more than 1,500 women and children have had access to medical care.
She moved from Toronto to New York City in 2006, where she lives with her husband, Michael.
- "Style blooms online | Toronto Star". Thestar.com. 2008-08-28. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Lucire August 2004" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Official Site". Hilary Rowland. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "About New Faces Models and Talent - Success Stories - Actors, Models and Child Models Agency". Newfaces.com. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Beauty & The Biz | Faze Magazine". Faze.ca. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Sustainable Fashion Made in Africa". Project Migration. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "What WE GIVE & Why: Fashion That Saves Lives". Project Migration. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Clothes that buy water: Each Project Migration Shirt Gives 5 Years of H2O, Medical Aid". TrendHunter.org. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Christina Curran (25 July 2011). "Project Migration: SoHo Loft Gallery's "Beach" Exhibit Gives Us a Deeper Look into Founder Hilary Rowland's Mission". Joonbug.com. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "Wade Rowland, Author Bio – Literary Non-fiction Author". Wade Rowland. Retrieved 2013-06-11.