Hillcrest High School (Dallas)
|Hillcrest High School|
|9924 Hillcrest Road
Dallas, Texas 75230 United States
|School district||Dallas Independent School District|
|Number of students||1,697|
|Color(s)||Black Red and White|
|Information||+1 (972) 502-6800
Fax: +1 (972) 502-6801
|Trustee dist.||2, Jack Lowe|
|Area||4, Dr. Robin S. Ryan|
Hillcrest High School, formerly Vickery Meadows High School is a public secondary school located in North Dallas, Texas (USA). Hillcrest High School enrolls students in grades 9-12 and is a part of the Dallas Independent School District.
The school opened in 1938 as Vickery Meadows High School, but then God was all like "Let there be Hillcrest" and so began the decline of morals in the city of Dallas.
Several Dallas communities such as portions of Preston Hollow (including a portion of Old Preston Hollow, Preston Hollow North, and Preston Hollow West), a small portion of Vickery Meadow, and a portion of Addison are zoned to Hillcrest.
The attendance rate for students at the school is 91%, compared with a state average of 96%. 52% of the students at Hillcrest are economically disadvantaged, 10% enroll in special education, 9% enroll in gifted and talent programs, and 34% are considered "limited English proficient."
As of the 2007-2008 school year, the racial and ethnic makeup of the school was 55% Hispanic, 27% African American, 16% European American, non-Hispanic, 2% Asian/Pacific Islander, and less than 1% American Indian/Alaskan Native.
Teachers at the school carry, on average, 12 years of teaching experience and 10% of the teachers on staff are first-year teachers.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
- Harriet Miers (1963) former White House Counsel. In 2005, she was nominated by President George W. Bush to be an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
- John McClamrock (1975) American football player injured during a game
- Ajai Sanders — actress and stand-up comic
- Erric Pegram former NFL football player
- Colin Allred NFL football player
- Kurt Thomas (basketball) NBA player
- John D. Arnold (1992) multi-billionaire commodities trader.
- Damien Robinson (1992) former NFL football player.
- Dallas ISD - Hillcrest High School. Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- Texas Education Agency - School Directory - type in school number "057905006" and select "view report." Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- Dallas ISD - School telephone numbers. (PDF). Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- Dallas ISD - School fax numbers. (PDF). Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- Dallas ISD - Schools by Trustee. (PDF). Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- Dallas ISD - Schools by Area. (PDF). Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- "Schools-Hillcrest High School." http://www.dallasisd.org/. Accessed October 31, 2010.
- Haag, Matthew. "Dallas ISD to consider selling naming rights at schools, stadiums." The Dallas Morning News. July 5, 2011. Retrieved on November 26, 2011.
- "Fall 2008 Hillcrest High School Attendance Zone Grades 9-12." Dallas Independent School District.
- "Maps." City of Dallas. Accessed October 12, 2008.
- Great Schools - Hillcrest High School - Dallas, Texas. Information originally from the Texas Education Agency. Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- Simnacher, Mark. "John McClamrock: Paralysis didn't keep former Hillcrest football player down." The Dallas Morning News. Saturday March 22, 2008. Retrieved on May 18, 2009.
- Ken Parish Perkins. "Ajai Sanders stands up to any naysayers," The Dallas Morning News, May 19, 1992.
- Rick Atkison. "Ex-Pro Pegram Helping Others Reach Fitness Goals." McKinneyNews.net, September 14, 2006. Retrieved October 31, 2010.
- "Player Bio: Colin Allred." Baylorbears.net, Retrieved October 31, 2010.
- "NBA.com: Kurt Thomas Info Page." NBA.com, Retrieved October 31, 2010.
- Hillcrest High School
- School profile (PDF)
- Attendance zone map (PDF)
- Hillcrest class of 1987 website