Hillcrest High School (Dallas)
|Hillcrest High School|
|9924 Hillcrest Road
Dallas, Texas, 75230
|School district||Dallas Independent School District|
|Color(s)||Black, Red and White|
Hillcrest High School, formerly Vickery Meadows High School is a public secondary school located in North Dallas, Texas (USA). Hillcrest High School enrolls students in grades 9-12 and is a part of the Dallas Independent School District.
The school opened in 1938 as Vickery Meadows High School. In 1945 it was renamed to Hillcrest High School
Several Dallas communities such as portions of Preston Hollow (including a portion of Old Preston Hollow, Preston Hollow North, and Preston Hollow West), a small portion of Vickery Meadow, and a portion of Addison are zoned to Hillcrest.
The attendance rate for students at the school is 91%, compared with a state average of 96%. 52% of the students at Hillcrest are economically disadvantaged, 10% enroll in special education, 9% enroll in gifted and talent programs, and 34% are considered "limited English proficient."
As of the 2007-2008 school year, the racial and ethnic makeup of the school was 55% Hispanic, 27% African American, 16% European American, non-Hispanic, 2% Asian/Pacific Islander, and less than 1% American Indian/Alaskan Native.
Teachers at the school carry, on average, 12 years of teaching experience and 10% of the teachers on staff are first-year teachers.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
- Colin Allred NFL football player.
- John D. Arnold (1992) Commodities trader.
- Lane P. Hughston (1969) Mathematician.
- Linda Koop (1968) Republican member of the Texas House of Representatives from District 102 in Dallas County
- John McClamrock (1975) American football player gravely injured during a game.
- Harriet Miers (1963) former White House Counsel.
- Erric Pegram former NFL football player.
- Damien Robinson (1992) Former NFL football player.
- Ajai Sanders — actress and stand-up comic.
- Kurt Thomas NBA player.
- Dallas ISD - Hillcrest High School[dead link]. Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- Texas Education Agency - School Directory - type in school number "057905006" and select "view report." Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- "Schools-Hillcrest High School[dead link]." http://www.dallasisd.org/. Accessed October 31, 2010.
- Haag, Matthew. "Dallas ISD to consider selling naming rights at schools, stadiums." The Dallas Morning News. July 5, 2011. Retrieved on November 26, 2011.
- "Fall 2008 Hillcrest High School Attendance Zone Grades 9-12[dead link]." Dallas Independent School District.
- "Maps." City of Dallas. Accessed October 12, 2008.
- Great Schools - Hillcrest High School - Dallas, Texas. Information originally from the Texas Education Agency. Retrieved on 4 October 2006.
- "Player Bio: Colin Allred." Baylorbears.net, Retrieved October 31, 2010.
- Simnacher, Mark. "John McClamrock: Paralysis didn't keep former Hillcrest football player down[dead link]." The Dallas Morning News. Saturday March 22, 2008. Retrieved on May 18, 2009.
- Rick Atkison. "Ex-Pro Pegram Helping Others Reach Fitness Goals[dead link]." McKinneyNews.net, September 14, 2006. Retrieved October 31, 2010.
- Ken Parish Perkins. "Ajai Sanders stands up to any naysayers," The Dallas Morning News, May 19, 1992.
- "NBA.com: Kurt Thomas Info Page[dead link]." NBA.com, Retrieved October 31, 2010.
- Hillcrest High School
- School profile[dead link] (PDF)
- Attendance zone map[dead link] (PDF)