Hille Perl (born 1965 in Hildegard Perl, in Bremen) is a German virtuoso performer of the viola da gamba and lirone. She is considered to be one of the world's finest viola da gamba players, specializing in solo and ensemble music of the 17th and 18th centuries. She has a particular interest in French Baroque repertoire for seven-string bass viola da gamba. She also performs Spanish, Italian and German repertoire for the instrument and has released several CDs.
Her long-time performing partner is Lee Santana, who plays the lute, theorbo, chitarrone, and baroque guitar. She plays a seven-string Tielke replica made by Ingo Muthesius and a six-string Italian gamba made by Claus Derenbach.
Her father Helmuth Perl was a musicologist who specialized in Mozart. She decided to play the viola da gamba after attending a Wieland Kuijken concert when she was five years old. She studied with Ingrid Stampa. Her daughter Marthe is a viol player too.
Perl lives in northern Germany and teaches at the University of the Arts Bremen.
- Sainte Colombe Retrouvé & Changé - Seven strings and more DHM 05472 77373 2
- J. S. Bach Sonatas for Viola da gamba & Harpsichord BWV 1027-1029 with Michael Behringer.
- Doulce Memoire Glosas, Passeggiati & Diminutions around 1600. DHM BMG Ariola 05472 77502 2
- Lee Santana's music The Star and the Sea. Carpe Diem - 16264
- Tinto with Los Otros Lee Santana and Steve Player. DHM BMG 05472 77861 2
- Why Not Here, English viol music with Friederike Heumann. Carpe Diem 16270
- Marais Pour la Violle et le Théorbe with Lee Santana. DHM BMG 82876 58791 2
- Aguirre Sebastián de Aguirre, Antonio Martín y Coll, Anthony Holborne, Santiago de Murcia, Gaspar Sanz. with Los Otros Lee Santana and Pedro Estevan BMG 82876 60489 2,
- Telemann. La Viola da Gamba Concertata. DHM Sony BMG 82876000000
- Kapsbergiana. Arrangements of the Libro Terzo of Kapsberger. DHM
- John Dowland In darkness let me dwell Dorothee Mields soprano. DHM.
- Sixxes or 'the American Gamba' with music by John Cage, Richard Cornell, Martha Bishop, Christian Wolff and Lee Santana. DHM (2012)
- Paul Collins God's new man: the election of Benedict XVI and the legacy of John Paul II "(an instrument from the late medieval and Renaissance periods, and the forerunner of the modern cello) and a former professor at Hamburg's Musityiochschule and teacher of one of today's best known viola da gamba players, Hille Perl."
|This article about a German musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a musician who plays a bowed string instrument is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|