Hillel Day School
Hillel Day School is a private, Jewish day school in Farmington Hills, Michigan which was founded in 1958. It provides both secular and Judaic studies instruction for students from preschool through eighth grade. Most students go on to nearby public high schools or to The Jean and Samuel Frankel Jewish Academy of Metropolitan Detroit, a Jewish high school in nearby West Bloomfield, Michigan.
Curriculum and class size
At Hillel, both Jewish and secular instruction is delivered each day. For kindergarten students, religious instruction is fully integrated with secular studies throughout the day. For students in the first through fourth grades, the day is split evenly between Judaic and secular studies. For fifth through eighth graders, 60% of the day is spent on secular studies, which includes language arts, social studies, math, science, music and drama, art, physical education and technology. Class size typically does not exceed 20 students per classroom, with one teacher. However, kindergarten classes have one teacher and one assistant.
Hillel Day School was founded as a Conservative Jewish day school, and is now a community school. It is not reform, conservative, or orthodox. This is the same as The Jean and Samuel Frankel Jewish Academy of Metropolitan Detroit.
Hillel Day School was founded in Detroit in 1958, by Rabbi Milton Arm, Rabbi Jacob Segal, and nine other members of the local Jewish community, starting with 29 students in two rooms. The school has grown rapidly since then and relocated to its current permanent site in Farmington Hills, Michigan with an enrollment of over 500 students in Kindergarten through Eighth Grade. Jewish children of all Jewish affiliations are accepted at the school.
- Selma Blair, actress.
- Jeff Sudakin, music composer for film and TV
- Charles Ornstein, Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist
- Jason Miller (rabbi), The Techie Rabbi, social media expert
- The Ubin Twinz, (Josh Rubin and Jeremy Lubin), filmmakers
- Mara Reinstein, senior writer for Us Magazine and author of Brad & Jen: The Rise and Fall of Hollywood's Golden Couple
- Robert & David Schostak, real estate developers and shopping mall owners
- Michael Harpaz, lead singer of Israeli boy band Hfive
- Dani Wohl, Michigan Wolverine basketball player, 2001–2005
- Hillel Day School of Metropolitan Detroit Official website
- Jewish Academy of Metropolitan Detroit Official website
- Independent School Association of Central States
- National Center for Education Statistics data for Hillel Day School