Hilliar Township, Knox County, Ohio
|Hilliar Township, Ohio|
|— Township —|
|• Total||26.1 sq mi (67.5 km2)|
|• Land||26.0 sq mi (67.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,207 ft (368 m)|
|• Density||118.3/sq mi (45.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086399|
Hilliar Township is one of the twenty-two townships of Knox County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,080 people in the township, 1,648 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- South Bloomfield Township, Morrow County - north
- Liberty Township - northeast corner
- Milford Township - east
- Bennington Township, Licking County - southeast corner
- Hartford Township, Licking County - south
- Trenton Township, Delaware County - southwest corner
- Porter Township, Delaware County - west
- Bennington Township, Morrow County - northwest corner
The village of Centerburg is located in central Hilliar Township.
The farthest west township in Knox County, it is the only township that borders Delaware County.
Name and history
It is the only Hilliar Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Knox County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.