Hilliard Davidson High School
|Hilliard Davidson High School|
|5100 Davidson Road
Hilliard, Ohio, (Franklin County), 43026
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Hilliard City Schools|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Rival||Dublin Coffman High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Mark Princehorn|
Hilliard Davidson High School is the first high school in the Hilliard City School District in Hilliard, Ohio. It is one of three high schools in the district along with Hilliard Darby High School and Hilliard Bradley High School. The school is located at 5100 Davidson Road, just north of Hilliard Weaver Middle School. The mascot is the Wildcat, and the school's colors are royal blue and white.
Hilliard Davidson High School was originally called Hilliard High School. It was renamed in 1997 when Hilliard Darby High School opened.
The current principal is John Bandow. The school also retains four assistant principals (one for each grade level), and five guidance counselors who each manage a percentage of the student population (determined by alphabetical placement).
- 1 Academics
- 2 Hilliard Davidson Music
- 3 Hilliard Davidson Theatre
- 4 Charitable events
- 5 Clubs and activities
- 6 Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Davidson offers Advanced Placement courses, as well as honors courses. The Advanced Placement courses are weighted into students' GPA's accordingly.
Hilliard Davidson has an e-campus system, to each his own on which students can take several classes that are offered by the district online. Hilliard Davidson also makes use of independent online study programs from Brigham Young University and Indiana University.
Freshman Focus Program
Every year, Hilliard Davidson freshmen are enrolled in a program in which they are adjusted into the high school environment. The purpose is to aid students with the transition between middle school and high school. The students give up half of their lunch Monday – Thursday for this class.
Hilliard Davidson Music
The music department at Davidson includes band, orchestra, and choir. The choir program consists of an audition only senior choir, a concert choir, and two freshman level choirs. The band program is home to three concert ensembles; the concert and symphonic bands, and the audition only wind symphony. The orchestra program has three performing ensembles; the concert and symphony orchestras, and audition only chamber orchestra.
The Hilliard Davidson Marching Band has achieved a superior rating from OMEA at Ohio State Marching Band Finals, the highest award that can be won, for almost 30 consecutive years.
Rob Eberly was a senior standout as drum major in 2000. He later brought glory to the Marching Band by filling in as a stunt double in the hit movie "Drum Line."
Hilliard Davidson Theatre
The theatre program at Hilliard Davidson has been on the receiving end of several awards and accolades. The school's theatre troupe has also taken part in several national and international programs.
Kennedy Center Award
In 1999, Hilliard Davidson High School received the Creative Ticket National School of Distinction Award from the Kennedy Center. It was awarded to the theatre program through the Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education. Hilliard Davidson's application video for this award may be viewed on YouTube. A documentary video of the school's trip to the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. may also be found on YouTube. A "Golden Ticket" plaque may be found in the high school's lobby.
Educational Theatre Association Hall of Fame
Hilliard Davidson High School and its theatre faculty has received several awards from the Ohio Educational Theatre Association and The Educational Theatre Association. Hilliard High School has twice been named an Outstanding Theatre School by ETA in 1996 and 2000. This honor is given to schools theatre programs that work to produce quality theatre. Additionally, drama director Robin Brenneman was inducted into the Ohio Educational Theatre Association's Hall of Fame in 2012. It is bestowed upon individuals who have devoted themselves to promoting educational theatre and who have given 20 years or more to said cause. Technical Director Diana Evans Vance was also inducted into the Ohio Educational Theatre Association's Hall of Fame in 2013, as well as receiving recognition by receiving Columbus Theatre Roundtable's People Who Make a Difference award, Ohio Theatre Alliance's Lifetime Achievement Award and the Educational Theatre Association's Hall of Fame award in 1996.
Edinburgh Fringe Festival
In the summer of 2007, Hilliard Davidson High School attended the Edinburgh Fringe Festival through the American High School Theatre Festival. The Edinburgh Fringe is an international festival featuring performances from an enormous variety of groups and performers. Davidson brought their production of School House Rock to the Fringe Festival, performing in Blueside Venue 103. The production was detailed on the Edinburgh Fringe website. Hilliard Davidson's 2002 application video may be found on YouTube. Their 2003 application video may also be found on YouTube. They have also been invited again to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival for the summer of 1998,2010 and 2014.
Invisible Children's Concert
On November 28, 2007, the Chamber Orchestra at Hilliard Davidson High School held a benefit concert for the children of Uganda, which are suffering from a twenty year war that has ravaged their country. The concert was free of cost, but donations could be made to benefit the children through the care of Invisible Children Inc. The Chamber Orchestra performed songs from several classic rock bands, including the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The Doors. The concert featured several videos from Invisible Children. The concert was featured in the article "Dancer finds way to help Ugandan children" from ThisWeek Community Newspapers on November 27, 2007. Because of the success of the Invisible Children's Concert in 2007, Davidson hosted their second concert on March 19, 2009 and most recently on March 17, 2010.
Clubs and activities
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys' Volleyball – 1991 
- Boys' Cross Country – 2002 
- Girls' Cross Country – 2002 
- Football – 2006, 2009 
- Boys' Soccer – 2007 
- Nate Ebner – football safety for the New England Patriots of the National Football League
- Mike Furrey – wide receiver, Cleveland Browns
- John Konesky – lead electric guitar, Tenacious D
- Craig Montgomery – tenor, The New York Metropolitan Opera
- Tim Skipper – lead singer, House of Heroes
- Hilliard City School District
- Hilliard Darby High School
- Hilliard Bradley High School
- Hilliard Memorial Middle School
- Hilliard Weaver Middle School
- Hilliard Heritage Middle School
- Hilliard, Ohio
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on 2010-11-03. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on 2010-06-20. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- Hilliard City Schools | Ready for Tomorrow
- Kennedy Center. "Kennedy Center National Creative Ticket Award". Retrieved December 13, 2007.
- 2000 SD Sample: Hilliard Davidson HS Kennedy Center Application Video – YouTube
- 2000 SD Sample: Hilliard Davidson HS Kennedy Center Trip Documentary – YouTube
- www.schooltheatre.org. Educational Theatre Association.
- http://ohedta.org. Ohio Educational Theatre Association.
- Edinburgh Fringe. "Edinburgh Fringe Festival". Retrieved December 13, 2007.[dead link]
- [dead link]
- 2002 SD Sample: Hilliard Davidson HS AHSTF Application Video – YouTube
- 2003 SD Sample: Hilliard Davidson HS AHSTF Application Video – YouTube
- ThisWeek Community News | Local News & Sports for Central Ohio
- "Executive Board Pre-File Application". OhioJCL.org – June 2007. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on June 17, 2007. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "OJCL Constitution". OhioJCL.org – July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved November 16, 2007.
- Wolf, Daniel (May 14, 2009). "Mike Furrey Is Versatile and a Team Player". Bleacher Report. Retrieved February 23, 2010.
- Beck, Aaron (February 23, 2010). "Destiny lands Ohioans jobs with Tenacious D". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved March 11, 2007.[dead link]
- Hilliard City School District Official Website
- Hilliard Davidson High School Official Website
- Hilliard Davidson Theatre Website
- Hilliard Davidson Orchestras Website