Hilton Head Airport
|Hilton Head Airport|
|IATA: HHH – ICAO: KHXD – FAA LID: HXD|
|Owner||Beaufort County / The town of Hilton Head Island|
|Serves||Hilton Head Island, South Carolina|
|Elevation AMSL||19 ft / 6 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Hilton Head Airport (IATA: HHH, ICAO: KHXD, FAA LID: HXD), also known as Hilton Head Island Airport, is a county and town-owned, public-use airport located in northeastern Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina, United States. It is mostly used for general aviation but is also served by a commercial airline and one public charter airline operating limited service. Hilton Head Airport is the only airport on Hilton Head Island.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, Hilton Head Airport is assigned HXD by the FAA and HHH by the IATA. The IATA code HHH is used for commercial airline booking purposes.
Facilities and aircraft 
Hilton Head Airport covers an area of 131 acres (53 ha) and has one runway designated 3/21 with a 4,300 x 100 ft (1,311 x 30 m) asphalt surface. The current terminal building was built in 1995. At 18,000 square feet (1,700 m2), it has four airline gates.
For the 12-month period ending July 31, 2007, the airport had 50,638 aircraft operations, an average of 138 per day: 50% air taxi, 49% general aviation and 1% military. At that time there were 87 aircraft based at this airport: 63% single-engine, 26% multi-engine, 9% jet and 1% ultralight.
Hilton Head Island has been known for championship golf courses for decades. In the 1960's, it was decided that an airport would facilitate an increase in the number of visitors to the island. Hilton Head Airport opened in 1967 with the help of professional golfer Arnold Palmer. An avid pilot, he also became the first person to land at HXD.
- American Eagle Airlines With Service to Raleigh-Durham ? - 1994 (operated with ATR 42/72)
- Continental Connection (Colgan Air) With Service to Atlanta March 1, 1998 - ? (operated with Beech 1900)
- Delta Connection (Atlantic Southeast Airlines) With Service to Atlanta March 17, 2007 - November 30, 2008 (operated with ATR 72)
- Delta Connection (Mesaba Airlines) With Service to Atlanta March 4, 2010 - November 1, 2010 (operated with Saab 340)
Airlines and destinations 
|US Airways Express operated by Piedmont Airlines||Charlotte
- FAA Airport Master Record for HXD ( PDF), effective 2008-04-10
- Great Circle Mapper: HHH / KHXD - Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (Hilton Head Airport)
- Hilton Head Airport, official site
- FAA Terminal Procedures for HXD, effective May 2, 2013
- Resources for this airport:
|This article about an airport in South Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|