Himitsu Sentai Gorenger
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
|Himitsu Sentai Gorenger|
|Created by||Shotaro Ishinomori|
|Written by||Shōzō Uehara
|Directed by||Kōichi Takemoto
|Narrated by||Nobuo Tanaka
|Opening theme||"Susume! Gorenger" by Isao Sasaki and Mitsuko Horie|
|Ending theme||"Himitsu Sentai Gorenger" by Isao Sasaki
"Mi Yo!! Gorenger" by Isao Sasaki, Koorogi '73 & Wilbees
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||84|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original channel||TV Asahi|
|Original run||April 5, 1975 – March 26, 1977|
|Followed by||J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai|
Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā?) is a Japanese tokusatsu superhero television series. Gorenger, created by Shotaro Ishinomori, was the first in the long-running Super Sentai series of tokusatsu programming. It began airing on NET (now TV Asahi) from April 5, 1975, the week following the finale of Kamen Rider Amazon, to March 26, 1977, the series had a total of 84 episodes. The title Toei gives this series for international distribution is Five Rangers.
The name "Super Sentai" was introduced in the 1979 series Battle Fever J. Originally, Gorenger and its successor J.A.K.Q. were not included as Super Sentai series. In episode 1 of the 1989 series Turboranger, when it honored the past ten Super Sentai series, Battle Fever J was listed as the first Sentai. It wasn't until the 1995 series Ohranger that Gorenger and J.A.K.Q. were included as the first two series.
When world peace is threatened by the emergence of a terrorist group called the Black Cross Army, a secret espionage organization known as EAGLE is formed in Japan to combat the threat. The Black Cross Army, fearful of the threat against them, decides to launch a surprise attack against EAGLE.
Across Japan, the Black Cross Army sends its five most dangerous operatives to destroy each EAGLE branch, killing everyone except for five young agents who miraculously survive. The agents are summoned to the snack shop "Gon" by Gonpachi Edogawa, EAGLE's commander, and enter a secret command center hidden underneath. The five are recruited by Edogawa to become the Secret Squadron Gorenger, the world's best chance against the forces of the Black Cross Army. They are given electronic battlesuits that endow them with superhuman strength and speed. The five dedicate themselves to stopping the Black Cross Army and its sinister leader, Black Cross Führer.
The International Secret Defense Organization EAGLE (国際秘密防衛機構イーグル Kokusai Himitsu Bōei Kikō Īguru?) is a Japanese secret espionage organization that was created to protect the world from the terrorist group known as the Black Cross Army. EAGLE developed the battlesuits and advanced technology used by the Gorengers to counter the Black Cross Army's cyborg technology.
The Gorengers transform into their costumes by shouting the word "Go!". Prior to battle, the team shouts "Five members assembled, Gorenger!" (５人揃って、ゴレンジャー！ Gonin sorotte, Gorenjā!?). In the series finale, Daita and Taro discover that the first kana is the full name of each member (with the exception of Daigoro), which spells out the name of the constellation "Cassiopeia" (か・し・お・ペ・あ（カシオペア） Ka-Shi-O-Pe-A (Kashiopea)?), whose cosmic rays are detrimental to Black Cross Führer.
- Tsuyoshi Kaijo (海城 剛 Kaijō Tsuyoshi?)/Akarenger (アカレンジャー Akarenjā?, Red Ranger): 24-years-old. The younger brother of the Kantō EAGLE base captain, Tsuyoshi and his teammates were playing soccer when the Black Cross Army launched the attack that killed his brother. Tsuyoshi is trained in combat planning and strategy and was also a striker for the Kantō EAGLE branch's soccer team. Tsuyoshi is the team leader and coordinates group attacks such as the "Gorenger Storm" or "Gorenger Hurricane". He carries a number of special weapons such as a tranquilizer gun (Silver Shot) and a multi-purpose whip (Red Vute) whose end transforms into weapons such as a drill or claw (Red Hunter).
- Akira Shinmei (新命 明 Shinmei Akira?)/Aorenger (アオレンジャー Aorenjā?, Blue Ranger): 25-years-old and the oldest member of the Gorenger team. Akira was training in the snowy region of Touhoku when the Black Cross Army attacked. He is a marksmanship instructor, skilled in archery and piloting. He wants to become a racing driver. As Aorenger he is the second-in-command. He pilots the Gorenger's aircraft "Variblune" and "Varidreen". He is armed with the "Bluechery" and "Ultra Bluechery" bows, which can fire specially designed arrows known as Blue Arrows and Blue Arrow Rockets.
- Daita Oiwa (大岩 大太 Ōiwa Daita?)/Kirenger I (初代キレンジャー Shodai Kirenjā?, Yellow Ranger) (1-54, 67-84): 23-years-old. Called Dai-chan by Shinmei, Peggy, and Yoko, Oiwa is a jovial engineering recruit at EAGLE's Kyūshū branch who was training with his comrades when the Black Cross Army attacked. Adept in mechanics and mathematics, he has a hard time solving simple word puzzles and riddles. As a judo champion, Oiwa is physically strong. He is armed with the "Ki Sticker" (Yellow Sticker), a polearm whose head can be outfitted with various attachments such as a punching fist. He also utilized the "YTC" (YTC is an abbreviation of Yellow Transceiver) radio which can jam electronic circuitry. Oiwa was later promoted to Chief of the Kyūshū EAGLE branch, but soon returned to active duty with the Gorenger after his replacement is killed by the Black Cross Army.
- Daigoro Kumano (熊野 大五郎 Kumano Daigorō?)/Kirenger II (２代目キレンジャー Nidaime Kirenjā?, Yellow Ranger II) (55-67): After Oiwa became the commander of the Kyūshū branch for a time, Kumano replaced him. He was only a member for 13 episodes, then killed by a flying blade from a Black Cross Army operative.
- Peggy Matsuyama (ペギー松山 Pegī Matsuyama?)/Momorenger (モモレンジャー Momorenjā?, Pink Ranger): 18-years-old. Peggy worked at EAGLE's Hokkaidō branch as a chemical analyst and weapons engineer specializing in explosives. Fashion conscious, Peggy often wears go-go boots and short hip-hugging hot pants. She is armed with heart-shaped earrings that double as high impact bombs. She also carries heart-shaped "Momo Card" throwing shurikens, and a "Momo Mirror" jamming device that confuses and confounds her opponents. She carried the "Rengerball," the Gorengers' ultimate finishing weapon that would destroy their enemies, using either "Gorenger Storm" or "Gorenger Hurricane".
- Kenji Asuka (明日香 健二 Asuka Kenji?)/Midorenger (ミドレンジャー Midorenjā?, Green Ranger): 17-years-old, Kenji is the youngest member of the team. He was training at EAGLE's Kansai branch. He has a happy-go-lucky temperament. Unlike the other four, Kenji was the only one unharmed when the Black Cross Army attacked, as he was tending to pigeons on a rooftop, thus saving him from the poison gas used in the attack. Kenji is armed with the razor-sharp "Midomerang" (Green boomerang) which was either flung at his opponents or used as a hand weapon for cutting and slashing. His weapon was later upgraded to the "New Midomerang", which was a bit bigger. He also carried the "Mido Puncher" which was an updated slingshot weapon that can be used to fire pachinko pellets and sometimes explosives.
- Birdies: Removable rockets that are clipped to the side of the Gorengers' belts that they use for flying.
- Weapons: the team possess individual weapons which they pull out of their visors.
- Red Vute (レッドビュート Reddo Byūto?), New Red Vute (ニューレッドビュート Nyū Reddo Byūto?), Yari Vute (ヤリビュート Yari Byūto?), Drill Vute (ドリルビュート Doriru Byūto?), Red Hunter (レッドハンター Reddo Hantā?), and Silver Shot (シルバーショット Shirubā Shotto?): Akarenger's signature weapons.
- Bluechery (ブルーチェリー Burūcherī?) (used in episodes 1-42), Ultra Bluechery (ウルトラブルーチェリー Urutora Burūcherī?) (used in episodes 43-84): Aorenger's signature weapons.
- YTC (YTC Wai Tī Shī?), Ki Sticker (キーステッカー Kī Sutekkā?) (with three attachments: Rock, Paper, and Scissors): Kirenger's signature weapons.
- Pierce Bombs (ピアス爆弾 Piasu Bakudan?), Momo Mirror (モモミラー Momo Mirā?), Momo Card (モモカード Momo Kādo?): Momorenger's signature weapons.
- Midomerang (ミドメラン Midomeran?), New Midomerang (ニューミドメラン Nyū Midomeran?), Mido Puncher (ミドパンチャー Mido Panchā?): Midorenger's signature weapons.
- Gorenger Machines (ゴレンジャーマシーン Gorenjā Mashīn?, 1-54): Gorengers' motorcycles. Armed with explosives that self-destruct to destroy the Navarone, which exploded, taking them (but not the Gorengers) with it.
- Red Machine (レッドマシーン Reddo Mashīn?): The Gorenger Machine driven by Akarenger. The Red Machine has no sidecar.
- Blue Machine (ブルーマシーン Burū Mashīn?): The Gorenger Machine driven by Aorenger. Kirenger rides in the sidecar.
- Green Machine (グリーンマシーン Gurīn Mashīn?): The Gorenger Machine driven by Midorenger. Momorenger rides in the sidecar.
- Star Machines (スターマシーン Sutā Mashīn?, 55-84): The replacement for the Gorenger Machines. Like their predecessors, these motorcycles self-destruct to destroy the Black Cross Castle.
- Variblune (バリブルーン Bariburūn?, 1-42): An early bulldog-like VTOL aircraft, propelled by helicopter blades under the craft. Its "mandibles" can open up and deploy various tools depending on the situation, and can store the Gorenger Machines. It blew up with Iron Man Mask Temujin aboard (but not the Gorengers).
- Varidorin (バリドリーン Baridorīn?, 42-84): A peacock-like replacement for the Variblune. Usually piloted by Aorenger and Kirenger. It was lost in the Gorengers' destruction of the Black Cross Castle, but a new Varidorin is seen later in JAKQ vs. Gorenger.
- Varitank (バリタンク Baritanku?, 42-84): A six-wheeled tank with claw arms that rolls out of the beak of the Varidorin. Usually piloted by Aorenger and Yoko Kato.
- Varikikyun (バリキキューン Barikikyūn?, 69-84): A passenger-carrying balloon for the Gorengers. Usually piloted by Momorenger.
- Gorenger Storm (ゴレンジャーストーム Gorenjā Sutōmu?): At Akarenger's command, Momorenger would produce a silver ball. It was passed among the various Gorengers like a soccer ball, until Akarenger would kick it at the episode's monster, at which point it would cause the monster to explode.
- Gorenger Hurricane (ゴレンジャーハリケーン Gorenjā Harikēn?): In this variant, Momorenger would produce a finned, multicolored grenade the size and shape of an American-style football. It was passed among each Gorenger until Aorenger set it up for punting by Akarenger. Once launched towards the monster, it would transform into an object that was usually either anathema to the monster's personality (such as a magnet to disrupt a mechanical clock monster) or a gift (such as a bowl of ramen to a skeleton-themed, starving monster). Either way, the object explodes with the monster caught in the explosion. In episode 73, the ball transforms into the Gorengers' weapons (Red Hunter, Yari Vute, Blue Arrows, Ki Sticker, Momo Card and Mido Puncher). In episode 44, it is called Gorenger Storm Hurricane. In J.A.K.Q. vs. Gorenger, the Gorengers combine the Gorenger Hurricane with J.A.K.Q.'s Big Bomber (ビッグボンバー Biggu bonbā?) to create the Gorenger Hurricane Big Bomber (ゴレンジャーハリケーンビッグボンバー Gorenjā Harikēn Biggu bonbā?) to destroy the Big Four Robo.
- Gonpachi Edogawa (江戸川 権八 Edogawa Gonpachi?): Commander of EAGLE. When operating in public, Gonpachi disguised himself as the cook at the snack shop "Gon" (ゴン?), which was the secret entrance to the Gorengers' headquarters. The shop later became the fruit parlor "Gon".
- Commander Edogawa was assisted by a trio of beautiful secretaries/secret agents: Yoko Kato (加藤 陽子 Katō Yōko?) (a.k.a Agent 007), Tomoko Hayashi (林 友子 Hayashi Tomoko?) (a.k.a Agent 008), and Haruko Nakamura (中村 春子 Nakamura Haruko?) (a.k.a Agent 009). They usually act behind the scenes but occasionally help the Gorengers with some of their missions.
The Black Cross Army
The Black Cross Army (黒十字軍 Kuro Jūjigun?) are the main antagonists. A terrorist group led by the supernatural entity known as the Black Cross Führer, their goal is the eradication of the human race and the absolute domination of the world. They utilize advanced technology and magic to create an army of superhuman operatives to attack EAGLE and Gorenger. Most of the Black Cross operatives are humans who have been enhanced through surgery. They had various secret bases across the globe. The main headquarters was the flying Black Cross Castle (黒十字城 Kuro Jūjijō?), which orbited high above the ground.
- Black Cross Führer (黒十字総統 Kuro Jūji Sōtō?): As the leader of the Black Cross Army, he was often referred to as the "Machine Monster". He could not be easily killed by a conventional weapon. He had supernatural powers and was supremely intelligent. He kept his identity a secret even among his generals but revealed himself as a sentient alien machine construct that was part of the Black Cross Castle. He could also disguise himself as either a male or female human. He was destroyed when the Gorengers launched their Five-Star Cassiopea Attack, and he exploded (after revealing himself as the Black Cross Castle).
- Sun Mask (日輪仮面 Nichirin Kamen?, 15-20): The so-called "Star of Africa" (アフリカの星 Afurika no Hoshi?). He was a ruthless tyrant who was renowned for his successive victories in Africa. He was called to Japan to eliminate the Gorengers by any means necessary, though his cowardice interferes in his operations.
- Iron Man Mask General Temujin (鉄人仮面テムジン将軍 Tetsujin Kamen Temujin Shōgun?, 20-42): The so-called "Mongol Demon" (モンゴルの鬼 Mongoru no Oni?), he was recruited from Black Cross Army's Gobi Desert operations. A cold and sadistic operative, he is a brilliant tactician and also formed his own army called the Steel Brigade (鋼鉄軍団 Kōtetsu Gundan?). Vain and prideful, he often lets his ego disrupt his operations.
- Volcano Mask General Magman (火の山仮面マグマン将軍 Hinoyama Kamen Maguman Shōgun?, 42-54): He was recruited from the volcanic Eldgja region in Iceland. He is the leader of the ruthless Eruption Battalion (噴火軍団 Funka Gundan?). He commanded his own mobile battle fortress dubbed Moving Fortress Navarone (移動要塞ナバローン Idō Yōsai Nabarōn?) (named after the Nazi Cannons off the Greek Aegean Islands in World War II). He had the ability to fire napalm missiles from the top of his "volcano" Mask. He is impervious to the Gorengers' weapons and is a master combatant.
- Commander-in-Chief Golden Mask (ゴールデン仮面大将軍 Gōruden Kamen Daishōgun?, 54-84): Black Cross Army's top general. A supernatural entity that was mystically awoken through Black Magic and Black Cross Führer's powers. Golden Mask took command of Black Cross Army's elite Africa Troopers (アフリカ軍団 Afurika Gundan?). He is versed in sorcery and keenly interested in astrology. He can repel most of Gorengers' attacks.
- Steel Sword Dragon (鋼鉄剣竜 Kōtetsu Kenryū?, Movie): A renegade Black Cross Army operative who was imprisoned by Black Cross Führer for his recklessness and rebelliousness. He was later freed by Black Cross Führer in exchange for his help in destroying the Gorengers. He was an incredibly strong fighter and was impervious to harm. Wielded a mighty dao that could destroy almost any object.
- Zolders (ゾルダー Zorudā?): Black Cross's faceless leather-suited foot soldiers, altered with enhanced strength and speed and brainwashed to be absolutely loyal. They carry a variety of weapons including machine guns, bazookas and iron swords. Specialized divisions have also been created such as the Black Cross Camouflaged Ninja (黒十字忍団 Kuro Jūji Nindan?). A squad of mystics serve Black Cross Führer and are adapt at the Black Arts. The Zolders command a number of bird-like vehicles including the small air fighters called Condolers (コンドラー Kondorā?) and the much larger and powerful Battlers (バットラー Battorā?). They can be heard shouting "Hoi" often when attacking their victims.
- The Crimson Sun! The Invincible Gorengers (真っ赤な太陽! 無敵ゴレンジャー Makka na Taiyō! Muteki Gorenjā?)
- The Blue Earth! The Deforestation Plan of Death (青い地球! 死の砂漠化計画 Aoi Chikyū! Shi no Sabakuka Keikaku?)
- Big Counterattack! A Yellow Whirlwind (大逆襲! 黄色いつむじ風 Dai Gyakushū! Kiiroi Tsumujikaze?)
- A Crimson Kick! Smash the Micro Big Plan (紅のキック! 砕けミクロ大作戦 Kurenai no Kikku! Kudake Mikuro Dai Sakusen?)
- Green Anger, Immortal Gas-Human (みどり色の怒り 不死身ガス人間 Midori-iro no Ikari Fujimi Gasu Ningen?)
- Red Riddle! Chase the Spy Route to the Sea (赤い謎! スパイルートを海に追え Akai Nazo! Supai Rūto o Umi ni Oe?)
- Pink Moonlight! Wolf Corps (ピンクの月光! オオカミ部隊 Pinku no Gekkō! Ookami Butai?)
- Black Fear! The Murderous Poison Fang (黒い恐怖! 殺しの毒牙 Kuroi Kyōfu! Koroshi no Dokuga?)
- Blue Shadow, Variblune Secret Strategy (青い影法師 バリブルーン秘密戦略 Aoi Kagebōshi Bariburūn Himitsu Senryaku?)
- The Red Balloon! Wind Speed at 100 Meters (赤い風船! 風速100メートル Akai Fūsen! Fūsoku Hyaku Mētoru?)
- Green Shudder! The Escape From Ear Hell (みどり色の戦慄! 耳地獄からの脱出 Midori-iro no Senritsu! Mimi Jigoku Kara no Dasshutsu?)
- Super Energy of Silver! Burning Hell (銀色の超エネルギー! 焦熱地獄 Gin'iro no Chō Enerugī! Shōnetsu Jigoku?)
- The Pink Secret! Defeat the Human Bomb (ピンクの秘密! 人間爆弾を倒せ Pinku no Himitsu! Ningen Bakudan o Taose?)
- The Red Coffin! The Mysterious Skull Mansion (赤い棺桶! ドクロ屋敷の怪 Akai Kan'oke! Dokuro Yashiki no Kai?)
- The Big Blue Fortress! Big Raging Variblune (青い大要塞! 大暴れバリブルーン Aoi Dai Yōsai! Dai Abareru Bariburūn?)
- White Weirdness! The Eye in the Mirror (白い怪奇! 鏡の中の目 Shiroi Kaiki! Kagami no Naka no Me?)
- The Purple Theme Park! A Demonic Cemetery (むらさき色の遊園地! 悪魔の墓場 Murasaki-iro no Yūenchi! Akuma no Hakaba?)
- Horrible Black Crusaders! Attack According to the (Secret) Plan (戦慄の黒十字軍!㊙作戦で攻撃せよ Senritsu no Kuro Jūjigun! Maruhi Sakusen de Kōgeki Seyo?)
- A Blue Spark! The Spy Front That Floats in the Sea (青い火花! 海に浮かぶスパイ戦線 Aoi Hibana! Umi ni Ukabu Supai Sensen?)
- Crimson Fight to the Death! Sunring Mask vs. Red Ranger (真っ赤な死闘! 日輪仮面対アカレンジャー Makka na Shitō! Nichirin Kamen Tai Akarenjā?)
- Blue Miracle! The Mysterious Airship That Came From Antiquity (青い驚異! 古代から来た怪飛行船 Aoi Kyōi! Kodai Kara Kita Kai Hikōsen?)
- Yellow Air Raid! Nightmares of Atlantis (黄色い空襲! アトランティスの悪夢 Kiiroi Kūshū! Atorantisu no Akumu?)
- Green Dogfight! The End of the Mysterious Airship (みどりの空中戦! 怪飛行船の最期 Midori no Kūshūsen! Kai Hikōsen no Saigo?)
- Blue Anger! Strong Greenmerang, Big Counterattack (青い怒り! 強烈ミドメラン大逆襲 Aoi Ikari! Kyōretsu Midomeran Dai Gyakushū?)
- Crimson Fuse! The Eight-eyed Torpedo Attack (真赤な導火線! 八ツ目の魚雷攻撃 Makka na Dōkasen! Yatsume no Gyorai Kōgeki?)
- Seven Vein Changes! The Dreadful Poison Expert (青すじ七変化! 恐怖の毒薬博士 Aosuji Shichi Henge! Kyōfu no Dokuyaku Hakase?)
- Yellow Object Q! Gorenger Base S.O.S. (黄色い物体Q! ゴレンジャー基地SOS Kiiroi Buttai Kyū! Gorenjā Kichi Esu Ō Esu?)
- Big Red Eruption! Infiltrate the Underground Base (赤い大噴火! 地底基地に潜入せよ Akai Dai Funka! Chitei Kichi ni Sennyū Seyo?)
- Red Pursuit! The Mysterious Seal Train (赤い追撃! なぞの封印列車 Akai Tsuigeki! Nazo no Fūin Ressha?)
- Golden Columns of Fire! Consecutive Mines, Big Explosions (金色の火柱! 機雷連続大爆発 Kin'iro no Hibashira! Kirai Renzoku Dai Bakuhatsu?)
- The Black Challenge! Enrage, Five Stars of Justice (黒い挑戦状! 怒れ五つの正義の星 Kuroi Chōsenjō! Ikare Itsutsu no Seigi no Hoshi?)
- Hot Blue Wind! No Response from Variblune (青い熱風! バリブルーン応答なし Aoi Neppū! Bariburūn Ōtō-nashi?)
- The Red Target! A Fake Gorenger Appears (赤い標的! にせものゴレンジャー出現 Akai Hyōteki! Nisemono Gorenjā Shutsugen?)
- The Yellow Spy Battle! You Saw the Power of YTC (黄色いスパイ戦! 見たかYTCの威力 Kiiroi Supai Sen! Mita ka Wai Tī Shī no Iryoku?)
- Big Strange Black Bird! Gondola: War Bomber Fleet (黒い大怪鳥! コンドラー戦斗爆撃隊 Kuroi Dai Kaichō! Kondorā Sentō Bakugeki Tai?)
- The Fierce Crimson Charge! The Mobile Fortress Invincible Battleship (真赤な猛進撃! 動く要塞無敵戦艦 Makka na Mō Shingeki! Ugoku Yōsai Muteki Senkan?)
- A Pure White Flash! The Black Cross Führer's True Form (真白い閃光! 黒十字総統の正体 Masshiroi Senkō! Kuro Jūji Sōtō no Shōtai?)
- The Blue Cliff! The Search for Demonic Pirate Treasure (青い断崖! 悪魔の海賊宝さがし Aoi Dangai! Akuma no Kaizoku Takara Sagashi?)
- Crimson Sea of Japan! The Mysterious Meteorite's ESP (真赤な日本海! 怪隕石の超能力 Makka na Nihonkai! Kai Inseki no Chōnōryoku?)
- The Crimson Vengeance Demon! The Pink Ranger From Hell (紅の復讐鬼! 地獄のモモレンジャー Kurenai no Fukushū-ki! Jigoku no Momorenjā?)
- Big Black Counterattack! The Battle of Tottori Dune (黒い大逆転! 鳥取砂丘の攻防戦 Kuroi Dai Gyakushū! Tottori Sakkyū no Kōbōsen?)
- The Black Ironman Dies! Farewell, Variblune (黒の鉄人死す! さらばバリブルーン Kuro no Tetsujin Shisu! Saraba Bariburūn?)
- The Crimson Phoenix! Enter, the Invincible Varidorin (真赤な不死鳥! 無敵バリドリーン登場 Makka na Fushichō! Muteki Baridorīn Tōjō?)
- Blue Multi-Purpose Tank! Varitank Launches (青い万能戦車! バリタンク発進 Aoi Bannō Sensha! Baritanku Hasshin?)
- Dark Sword Shark! Attack of Marine Hitmen (暗黒の剣鮫! 海の殺し屋襲来 Ankoku no Ken-zame! Umi no Koroshiya Shūrai?)
- Black Super Express! Locomotive Mask's Big Rampage (黒い超特急! 機関車仮面大暴走 Kuroi Chōtokkyū! Kikansha Kamen Dai Bōsō?)
- Big Red Counterattack! Angry Gorenger (赤い大逆襲! 怒りのゴレンジャー Akai Dai Gyakushū! Ikari no Gorenjā?)
- The Black Supply Depot! Close Call at the Theme Park (黒い補給基地! 遊園地危機一髪 Kuroi Hokyū Kichi! Yūenchi Kiki-ippatsu?)
- The Big Green Escape! The Swastika's Trick Play (みどりの大脱走! 卍のトリックプレイ Midori no Dai Dassō! Manji no Torikku Purei?)
- The Blue-Winged Secret! Dangerous Varidorin (青い翼の秘密! 危うしバリドリーン Aoi Tsubasa no Himitsu! Ayaushi Baridorīn?)
- The Making of Blue Counterfeit Money! The Sunset Gunman (青いニセ札づくり! 夕陽のガンマン Aoi Nisesatsu-zukuri! Yūhi no Ganman?)
- The Pink Telephone Demon! The Murderous Dial (ピンクの電話鬼! 殺しのダイヤル Pinku no Denwa-ki! Koroshi no Daiyaru?)
- The Red Home Run King! The Deadly Number 1 (赤いホームラン王! 必殺の背番号1 Akai Hōmu Ran Ō! Hissatsu no Sebangō Ichi?)
- Crimson Challenge! Fire Mountain's Last Big Eruption (真赤な挑戦! 火の山最期の大噴火 Makka na Chōsen! Hi no Yama Saigo no Dai Funka?)
- The Gold-Colored Daishogun! Tutankamen's Curse (金色の大将軍! ツタンカーメンの呪い Kin Iro no Daishōgun! Tsutankāmen no Noroi?)
- Blue Summer Vacation! A Demon's Killing Beach (青い夏休み! 魔の殺人海岸 Aoi Natsuyasumi! Ma no Satsujin Kaigan?)
- The Black Encircling Net! Five-Faced Peggy (黒い包囲網! 五つの顔のペギー Kuroi Hōi-mō! Itsutsu no Kao no Pegī?)
- Crimson Ambition! His Excellency the Führer's Gold Castle (真赤な野望! 総統閣下の黄金城 Makka na Yabō! Sōtō Kakka no Ōgon-jō?)
- The Crimson South! The Mysterious Big Gold Plan (真赤な南国! 謎のゴールド大作戦 Makka na Nangoku! Nazo no Gōrudo Dai Sakusen?)
- Blue Inland Sea! The Floating Secret Fortress Island (青い瀬戸内海! 浮かぶ秘密要塞島 Aoi Setonaikai! Ukabu Himitsu Yōsai-tō?)
- The Pink KO Punch! End Ball Game (桃色のKOパンチ! エンドボール勝負 Momoiro no Kei Ō Panchi! Endo Bōru Shōbu?)
- The White Mystery! The Trap of the Grim Reaper's Mansion (白い怪奇! 死神館の罠 Shiroi Kaiki! Shinigami Kan no Wana?)
- A Flash of Black Lightning! The Protruding Cannon (黒い電光石火! 飛び出す大砲 Kuroi Denkōsekka! Tobidasu Taihō?)
- Blue UFO!! The Space Army's Big Invasion (青いUFO!! 宇宙軍団大襲来 Aoi Yūfō!! Uchū Gundan Dai Shūrai?)
- The Crimson Suicide Squad!! The Crowded Fight at Black Cross Castle (真赤な決死隊!! 殴りこみ黒十字城 Makka na Kesshitai!! Naguri Komi Kuro Jūji-jō?)
- The Red Hostage Exchange!! Battlers' Big Charge (赤い人質交換!! バットラー大襲撃 Akai Hitojichi Kōkan!! Battorā Dai Shūgeki?)
- Crimson Special Attack!! Yellow Ranger Dies at Sunset (真赤な特攻!! キレンジャー夕陽に死す Makka na Tokkō!! Kirenjā Yūhi ni Shisu?)
- The Pink Rebellion!! The Big Attack of Needle-Needle-Needle (ピンクの反乱!! 針・針・針の大攻撃 Pinku no Hanran!! Hari-hari-hari no Dai Kōgeki?)
- The New Multicolored Vehicle!! Varikyūn Launches (五色の新兵器!! バリキキューン発進 Goshiki no Shin-heiki!! Barikkyūn Hasshin?)
- Blue Counterattack!! Stop the Space Express (青い逆襲!! 宇宙特急をストップせよ Aoi Gyakushū!! Uchū Tokkyū o Sutoppu Seyo?)
- Big Crimson Decisive Battle!! The Earth Migration Plan (真赤な大決戦!! 地球移動計画 Makka na Dai Kessen!! Chikyū Idō Keikaku?)
- Blue Secrecy!! Baridreen Left to be Dismantled (青い機密!! 解体されたバリドリーン Aoi Kimitsu!! Kaitai Sareta Baridorīn?)
- Black Whirlwind!! It's a Contest! A Straight Line (黒いつむじ風!! 勝負だ! 一直線 Kuroi Tsumujikaze!! Shōbu da! Itchokusen?)
- Freezing Blue Wave!! The Plan to Freeze Earth (青い大寒波!! 地球氷づけ作戦 Aoi Daikanpa!! Chikyū Kōrizuke Sakusen?)
- Fiery Crimson Hell!! Stove Mask's Conspiracy (真赤な火炎地獄!! ストーブ仮面の陰謀 Makka na Kaen Jigoku!! Sutōbu Kamen no Inbō?)
- Crimson Infiltration!! Did You See Tsuyoshi Kaijou? (真赤な潜入!! 君は海城剛を見たか? Makka na Sennyū!! Kimi wa Kaijō Tsuyoshi o Mita ka??)
- Black Fear!! The Bloodsucking Snake-Woman (黒い恐怖!! 吸血ヘビ女 Kuroi Kyōfu!! Kyūketsu Hebi Onna?)
- Black Jamming!! A Primeval Roar (黒い妨害電波!! 原始の雄叫び Kuroi Bōgaidenpa!! Genshi no Otakebi?)
- Crimson Pursuit!! The Formless Assassin's True Form (真赤な追跡!! 姿なき暗殺者の正体 Makka na Tsuiseki!! Sugata-naki Ansatsusha no Shōtai?)
- Crimson Crossing in Enemy Territory! Escape to Hope (真赤な敵中横断! 希望への脱出 Makka na Tekichū Ōdan! Kibō e no Dasshutsu?)
- Black Doubt!! The Murder Spy's Trap (黒い疑惑!! 殺人スパイの罠 Kuroi Giwaku!! Satsujin Supai no Wana?)
- Black Magician!! Mystery of the Dollhouse?! (黒い魔術師!! 人形館の怪?! Kuroi Majutsushi!! Ningyōkan no Kai?!?)
- Orange First Love!! The Roaring Megalopolis (オレンジ色の初恋!! 吼える大都会 Orenji-iro no Hatsukoi!! Hoeru Daitokai?)
- Great Crimson Victory!! Shine Forever, Five Stars (真赤な大勝利!! 永久に輝け五つ星 Makka na Daishōri!! Towa ni Kagayake Itsutsu Boshi?)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Movie (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā?) (Movie version of Episode 6)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Blue Fortress (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 青い大要塞 Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā: Aoi Daiyōsai?) (Movie version of Episode 15)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Red Death Match (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 真赤な猛進撃！ Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā: Makka na Mōshingeki!?) (Movie version of Episode 36)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: Fire Mountain's Final Explosion (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 火の山最後の大噴火 Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā: Hi no Yama Saigo no Daifunka?) (Movie version of Episode 54)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Bomb Hurricane (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 爆弾ハリケーン！ Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā: Bakudan Harikēn!?)
- J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai vs. Gorenger (ジャッカー電撃隊VSゴレンジャー Jakkā Dengekitai tai Gorenjā?)
A retelling of the series in manga form was published in the Weekly Shōnen Sunday magazine from May 4, 1975, to August 17, 1975, written and drawn by Ishinomori. In this version, the Gorengers are all teenagers, with Tsuyoshi's father the head of EAGLE's Kanto branch and a martial arts teacher who gives Tsuyoshi the Akarenger outfit before he is murdered by the Black Cross Army, leading Tsuyoshi to become Akarenger and recruit the others to become the Gorengers and avenge his father's death.
- Tsuyoshi Kaijo (海城 剛 Kaijō Tsuyoshi?): Naoya Makoto (誠 直也 Makoto Naoya?)
- Akira Shinmei (新命 明 Shinmei Akira?): Hiroshi Miyauchi (宮内 洋 Miyauchi Hiroshi?)
- Daita Oiwa (大岩 大太 Ōiwa Daita?): Baku Hatakeyama (畠山 麦 Hatakeyama Baku?)
- Daigoro Kumano (熊野 大五郎 Kumano Daigorō?): Jirō Daruma
- Peggy Matsuyama (ペギー 松山 Pegī Matsuyama?): Lisa Komaki (小牧 リサ Komaki Risa?)
- Kenji Asuka (明日香 健二 Asuka Kenji?): Yukio Itō
- Commander Gonpachi Edogawa (江戸川 権八 Edogawa Gonpachi?): Toshio Takahara
- Yoko Kato (加藤 陽子 Katō Yōko?)/Zero Zero Seven: Eri Kanuma
- Tomoko Hayashi (林 友子 Hayashi Tomoko?)/Zero Zero Eight: Megumi Shiragawa
- Haruko Nakamura (中村 春子 Nakamura Haruko?)/Zero Zero Nine: Miki Honda
- Taro Kato: Hiroyuki Konuma
- Black Cross Führer (黒十字総統 Kuro Jūji Sōtō?): Mitsuo Andō (Episodes 1-55), Nobuo Yana (Episodes 56-84)
- Gon (ゴン?, voice): Saiko Kogawa
- Sun Mask (日輪仮面 Nichirin Kamen?, voice): Hiroshi Masuoka (増岡 弘 Masuoka Hiroshi?)
- General Iron Mask Temujin (鉄人仮面テムジン将軍 Tetsujin Kamen Temujin Shōgun?, voice): Shōzō Iizuka (飯塚 昭三 Iizuka Shōzō?)
- General Fire Mountain Mask Magman (火の山仮面マグマン将軍 Hinoyama Kamen Maguman Shōgun?, voice): Eisuke Yoda (依田英助 Yoda Eisuke?, 42-45), Shōzō Iizuka (飯塚 昭三 Iizuka Shōzō?, 46-54)
- Great General Golden Mask (ゴールデン仮面大将軍 Gōruden Kamen Daishōgun?, voice): Shōzō Iizuka (飯塚 昭三 Iizuka Shōzō?)
- Narrator: Nobuo Tanaka (田中 信 Tanaka Nobuo?, 1-14): Tōru Ōhira (大平 透 Ōhira Tōru?, 15-84)
- Opening theme
- "Susume! Gorenger" (進め！ゴレンジャー Susume! Gorenjā?, "Proceed! Gorenger")
- Ending themes
- "Himitsu Sentai Gorenger" (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā?)
- "Mi yo!! Gorenger" (見よ!!ゴレンジャー Mi yo!! Gorenjā?, "Look!! Gorenger")
- Lyrics: Shotaro Ishinomori
- Composition and Arrangement: Michiaki Watanabe
- Artists: Isao Sasaki and Koorogi '73 with Wilbees
- Episodes: 64-84
In the Philippines, Gorenger was dubbed into English and released as Star Rangers in 1978 and shown on Saturday afternoon on RPN-9. In this version, aside from their color designations, the Gorengers also had numeric designations, in order of their introduction to the enemy prior to battle: Akarenger = Star 1, Aorenger = Star 2, Kirenger = Star 3, Momorenger = Star 4, and Midorenger = Star 5. The series was broadcast in Thailand on Channel 7. In the United States, the original Japanese version was broadcast in Hawaii on Honolulu's KIKU-TV with English subtitles from 1975 through 1976, and the actors made personal appearances to promote the series. An unsubtitled version was also broadcast in California, on Sacramento's KMUV-TV in 1976, San Francisco's KEMO-TV in 1977.
- "Library -- English Titles -- TOEI TV Website". Retrieved 2007-12-28.
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger episode 1: "The Crimson Sun! The Invincible Gorengers"
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger episode 84: "Great Crimson Victory!! Shine Forever, Five Stars"
- 石ノ森章太郎「秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー」: こんなんみっけ: Yahoo!ブログ (Shotaro Ishinomori "Himitsu Sentai Gorenger": Yahoo! Blog)
- Super-Sentai.net (Japanese)