Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum
|Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum|
|Sheikha Hind of Dubai|
|Spouse||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
Sheikh Hamdan, Crown Prince of Dubai
|House||House of Al-Falasi
House of Maktoum
|Father||Sheikh Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum|
|Born||12 February 1962|
Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum (Arabic: هند بنت مكتوم بن جمعة ال مكتوم) (born 12 February 1962) is the senior wife and consort of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai. They were married in 1979 and she is the mother of her husband's heir-apparent, Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, the Crown Prince of Dubai. She is also referred to as the First Lady of Dubai.
Sheikha Hind is not a public figure and tends to keep a low profile in society because she follows the traditions and cultures of the UAE (i.e. not interacting with men).
Sheikha Hind is the granddaughter of Juma bin Maktoum Al Maktoum, brother of Saeed II of Dubai, grandfather of the current Sheikh. She is also the niece of Sheikh Ahmad Bin Juma Al Maktoum who died in 2009.
Her mother Sheikha Shaikha bint Saeed bin Maktoum Al Maktoum is the daughter of Emir Saeed II of Dubai, making Sheikha Hind a first cousin to her husband through her mother as well as second cousin of her husband through her father.
In 1979, at the age of 17, Hind Bint Maktoum married her first cousin Sheikh Mohammed Rashid, who was 13 or 14 years older than her. Their wedding was Dubai's first major public event. Elaborate arrangements were made to celebrate the event, the wedding was a lavish one that one could easily have mistaken it for a national festival rather than a nuptial. A 20,000 seater stadium was built to host the wedding which featured displays of horse and camel riding and an aerobatics display by the Dubai Air Force. The total cost of the wedding celebrations was estimated to be around an astounding, $100 million. After her marriage, Sheikha Hind, remained a traditional Arab wife and faithfully follows the Islamic purdah system by never accompanying her husband to his race meetings and is rarely seen in other public events. Even her photograph has never been shown publicly.
Being the Sheikh's senior wife and consort, Sheikha Hind is the royal family's chief matriarch and resides with her family in the Zabeel Palace (Ruler's palace) in Dubai. On the other hand, the Sheikh's junior wife leads a separate existence. Sheikha Hind oversees the upbringing of her children and a smattering of orphans she has adopted out of charity.
HH The Emir Sheikh
HH Sheikh Maktoum
- Sheikha Hessa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 6 November 1980) married Sheikh Saeed bin Dalmouk bin Juma Al Maktoum in 2008
- Sheikh Rashid bin Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 12 November 1981)
- Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 13 November 1982), Crown Prince of Dubai.
- Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 24 November 1983), Deputy ruler of Dubai
- Sheikh Ahmed bin Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 7 February 1987)
- Sheikh Saeed bin Mohammed Al Maktoum (born March 1988)
- Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 30 March 1989) married Crown Prince Mohammed bin Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi of Fujairah in 2009
- Sheikha Maryam bint Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 11 January 1992)
- Sheikha Shaikha bint Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 20 December 1992) married Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa of Bahrain in 2009
- Sheikha Futaim bint Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 22 July 1994)
- Sheikha Salamah bint Mohammed Al Maktoum (born 8 August 1999)
- Sheikha Shamma bint Mohammed Al Maktoum (born November 2002)
Sheikha Hind Women’s Sport Tournament
The tournament was launched on December 17, 2012, at the Dubai World Trade Centre and was organized by the Women's Sport Committee of the Dubai Sports Council, under the patronage of Sheikha Hind Bint Maktoum Bin Juma Al Maktoum, the Consort of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, and under the guidance of Shiekha Hind's son, Shiekh Hamdan, the Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of Dubai Sports Council (DSC). The sports tournament is meant to encourage women to come out and actively participate in fitness and sports activities.
Charity work and donations
In January, 2013, Sheikha Hind, donated three planes to airlift the United Arab Emirates national football team’s fans from Manama in Bahrain to Dubai following UAE's splendid 1-0 victory over Kuwait in the semi-final of the 2013 Gulf Cup of Nations. The initiative was highly appreciated by the sports community in general and the UAEFA in particular.
In June 2013, The Mohammed bin Rashid Charity and Humanitarian Establishment distributed 4100 smart cards of Ramadan Ration by donation of Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum in its charitable programmes for the Holy Month of Ramadan, aiming at distributing basic foodstuff to the needy and poor families in the emirate of Dubai and northern areas. brahim Boumelha, Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Foundation, expressed his gratitude and thanks to Sheikha Hind for her moral and material support for various charitable projects, undertaken by the Foundation for the benefit of the citizens and residents expatriates, particularly in the Holy Month of Ramadan.
- "Hind Bint Maktoum: Mohammed Bin Rashid's benevolence paints smile on the lips of the deprived". Wakalat Anba'a al-Emarat. 3 January 2010. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- Maxine Block, Anna Herthe Rothe, Marjorie Dent Candee, Charles Moritz (2008). Current Biography Yearbook. H. W. Wilson Co. p. 22.
- Hartley, Joanna (23 March 2009). "UAE Sheikh Ahmad Bin Juma Al Maktoum dies". Arabianbusiness.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Top weddings of all time Sheikh Mohammed al Maktoum of Dubai & Sheikha Hind Bint Maktoum (1979)". MSN News. 21 November 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "A fine filly". Mail Online. 5 May 2004. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- Krane, Jim (2009). City of Gold: Dubai and the Dream of Capitalism. Macmillan. pp. 192, 193. ISBN 9781429918992.
- Adams, Tim (28 April 2013). "Sheikh Mohammed: the ruler with real horsepower". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Wardrop, Murray (15 March 2011). "Sheikh's British palace staff worked in 'culture of fear'". The Telegraph. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum". RootsWeb. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Sheikha Hind Women's Tournament set for grand opening on December 17". Emirates 24/7. December 16, 2012. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Sheikha Hind initiative appreciated". UAEFA. January 16, 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- WAM (June 26, 2013). "Mohammed bin Rashid Est. distributes 4100 smart cards of Ramadan Ration by donation of Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum". Emirates 24/7.
Shaikha Hind of Dubai
|Reference style||Her Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Highness|