Holy Trinity Church, Hinton in the Hedges
Hinton-in-the-Hedges shown within Northamptonshire
196 (2010 est)
|OS grid reference|
|– London||70 miles (113 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Hinton-in-the-Hedges is a small village and civil parish in South Northamptonshire, England, 2 miles (3.2 km) due west of the town of Brackley. West of the village is Hinton-in-the-Hedges Airfield. At the time of the 2001 census, the parish's population was 179 people. In 2010 it had increased to approximately 196.
The parish church is dedicated to The Most Holy Trinity. A church has existed here since Saxon times the earliest recorded Rector being Sir Richard de Hynton in 1275. There are monuments to Sir William Hinton (d.13th century), Raynold Braye (d.1582) and Salathiell Crewe (d.1686).
The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described the parish in the 1870s as follows:
On the Buckinghamshire railway, 2 miles West by North of Brackley railway station. Post town, Brackley. Acres, 2, 070. Real property, £2, 462. Pop., 178. Houses, 39. The manor belongs to W. Cartwright, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Steane, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500. Patron, Earl Spencer. The church is early English; consists of nave, chancel, and North aisle, with low square tower; and contains a remarkable ancient altar tomb, and a very ancient and curiously carved font. There are alms houses with about £38 a year, and a subscription school. Gray, the author of "Memoria Technica", is said to have been a native.
- Office for National Statistics: Hinton-in-the-Hedges CP: Parish headcounts. Retrieved 12 November 2009
- SNC (2010). South Northamptonshire Council Year Book 2010-2011. Towcester NN12 7FA. p. 39.
- Church of England website, accessed 19 January 2010
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget (revision) (1961). The Buildings of England – Northamptonshire. London and New Haven: Yale University Press. pp. 259–260. ISBN 978-0-300-09632-3.
- Listed buildings in the village
Media related to Hinton-in-the-Hedges at Wikimedia Commons
- Map sources for Hinton-in-the-Hedges
|This Northamptonshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|