St Bartholomew's Church
Hints shown within Staffordshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||West Midlands|
Hints is a small village and civil parish between Lichfield and Tamworth in Staffordshire, within Lichfield local government district. The village is on the line of Watling Street, which was formerly the A5, but the A5 now runs in a cutting north of the village. The name of the parish council is Hints with Canwell. The parish church is dedicated to St Bartholomew.
The name Hints appears to derive from the Welsh word hynt, meaning 'a road' (referring to Watling Street). This suggests that the area was occupied by Welsh speakers until at least the late 6th century, when most of the Midlands had been occupied by the English.
Physician and author Sir John Floyer was born in Hints.
- "United Kingdom Parliament". Retrieved 18 September 2009.
- "Names and codes for Administrative Geography". Office for National Statistics. 31 December 2008. Retrieved 15 September 2009.
- "Parish clerk contact details". Lichfield District Council. 2009. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- "Hints S. Bartholomew". The Church of England. Retrieved 24 September 2009.
- Gelling, M. (1978) Signposts to the Past ISBN 1-86077-376-1 p.101
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hints.|