Hippodrome State Theatre
|This article is outdated. (September 2014)|
The Hippodrome Theatre (often referred to by residents as the Hipp) is a regional professional theatre in downtown Gainesville, Florida, United States. It was founded in 1973 by local actors. The address is 25 Southeast 2nd Place.
The interior is in good condition, maintaining much of the original walls, doors and beams from its post office and courthouse era. It is a relatively small location, with a 266-seat thrust stage main stage theater on the second floor and 80-seat cinema space on the first floor. The Hippodrome building also has one of the oldest working elevators in Florida which requires the operator to manually close the screen, the door, and then pull a crank to operate.
The Hippodrome uses professional actors and has its own set designers, costume designers, sound engineers and lighting engineers for each of its main stage productions. It also provides youth theater education classes. The Hippodrome features Broadway and off Broadway productions and art house films.
The Hippodrome provides arts education for all ages, including classes & camps, in-school programs, workshops and behind-the-scenes opportunities for adults.
U.S. Post Office and courthouse
U.S. Post Office
|Architect||John Young, James Knox Taylor|
|Architectural style||Beaux Arts|
|NRHP Reference #||79000659|
|Added to NRHP||July 10, 1979|
The building itself was completed in 1911, and served as a U.S. Post Office (on the first floor) and a Courthouse of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida (on the second floor). It was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on July 10, 1979.
- Francischine, Tyler (5/11/13). "Hippodrome Theatre to celebrate ruby anniversary with community party". Gainesville Sun. Retrieved 2013-05-14. Check date values in:
- Alachua County Library District Heritage Collection - U.S. Post Office, Elevator, Drawing No. E. 373
- "National Register of Historical Places - Florida (FL), Alachua County". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-03-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hippodrome State Theatre.|
- Hippodrome Theatre
- Alachua County listings at Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs
- Virtual tour of Downtown Gainesville and Related Structures at Alachua County's Department of Growth Management