Hips, Hips, Hooray!
|Hips, Hips, Hooray!|
|Directed by||Mark Sandrich|
|Written by||Bert Kalmar
|Music by||Roy Webb (Uncredited)|
|Editing by||Basil Wrangell|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
|Running time||68 mins.|
Hips, Hips, Hooray! is a 1934 slapstick comedy film starring Bert Wheeler, Robert Woolsey, Ruth Etting, Thelma Todd, and Dorothy Lee. During its initial theatrical run, it was preceded by the two-color Technicolor short Not Tonight, Josephine, directed by Edward F. Cline.
Todd stars as Amelia Frisby, the owner of a beauty supply business. Andy Williams (Wheeler) and Dr. Bob Dudley (Woolsey) convince her to hire them as salesman to promote her new flavored lipstick, and hilarity ensues. The film features Etting singing "Keep Romance Alive" and Bert Wheeler and Dorothy Lee singing "Keep On Doin' What You're Doin'" by Bert Kalmar and Harry Ruby.
A romantic subplot involving Ruth Etting was planned, but removed from the finished film. Despite being third-billed, in the finished film, Etting only has one scene.
- Bert Wheeler as Andy Williams
- Robert Woolsey as Dr. Bob Dudley
- Dorothy Lee as Daisy Maxwell
- Thelma Todd as Amelia Frisby
- Ruth Etting as Herself
- Phyllis Barry as Madame Irene
- Matt Briggs as Det. Epstein
- James P. Burtis as Detective Sweeney
- Spencer Charters as Clark
- George Meeker as Armand Beauchamp
The film made a profit of $8,000.
The New York Times gave Hips, Hips, Hooray! an unenthusiastic review, stating that it featured "three reasonably hilarious gags and perhaps fifty more that depend on whether you are for or against the ex-vaudeville clowns to begin with." Alternately, the Prescott Evening Courier described it as "[s]martly and enthusiastically insane... surpassing all [Wheeler and Woolsey's] previous efforts." An Australian reviewer for The Age, felt that it "proved a fairly generously-endowed medley of eccentric dancing, buffoonery and burlesque" and that it provoked "much merriment" from its audience.
- Richard Jewel, 'RKO Film Grosses: 1931-1951', Historical Journal of Film Radio and Television, Vol 14 No 1, 1994 p56
- Variety film review; February 27, 1934, page 17.
- Harrison's Reports film review; January 27, 1934, page 15.
- Advertisement. Florence (Alabama) Times Daily. May 7. 1934. p 4. Web. June 23. 2010
- Prescott Evening Courier. 2 July 1934. Page 2. Retrieved July 24. 2012
- The Melbourne Age. 23 July 1934. Page 13. Retrieved July 24. 2012
- Hips, Hips, Hooray! at the Internet Movie Database
- Hips, Hips, Hooray! at AllMovie
- Hips, Hips, Hooray! at Rotten Tomatoes