Hiroshi Watanabe (photographer)
Hiroshi Watanabe (渡邉 博史 Watanabe Hiroshi ) is a California-based Japanese photographer.
Born in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan in 1951, Watanabe graduated from the Department of Photography of Nihon University in 1975 and moved to Los Angeles where he worked as a production coordinator for Japanese television commercials and later co-founded a Japanese coordination services company. He obtained an MBA from UCLA in 1993, but two years later his earlier interest in photography revived; from 2000 he has worked full-time at photography.
After five self-published books, Watanabe's first to be published conventionally was I See Angels Every Day, monochrome portraits of the patients and other scenes within San Lázaro psychiatric hospital in Quito, Ecuador. This won the 2007 Photo City Sagamihara award for Japanese professional photographers.
In 2005, a portfolio of his work was featured in Nueva Luz photographic journal, volume 10#3. In 2007 Watanabe won a "Critical Mass" award from Photolucida that allowed publication of his monograph Findings.
Books by Watanabe
- Veiled Observations and Reflections. West Hollywood, Calif.: Hiroshi Watanabe, 2002.
- Faces. West Hollywood, Calif.: Hiroshi Watanabe, 2002–2005.
- 1. San Lazaro Psychiatric Hospital. 2003.
- 2. Kabuki Players. 2003.
- 3. Ena Bunraku. 2005.
- 4. Noh Masks of Naito Clan. 2005.
- Watakushi wa mainichi, tenshi o mite iru (私は毎日、天使を見ている。) / I See Angels Every Day. Tokyo: Mado-sha, 2007. ISBN 978-4-89625-085-5
- Findings. Portland, Ore.: Photolucida, 2007. ISBN 978-1-934334-00-3.
- Paradaisu ideorogī (パラダイスイデオロギー) / Ideology in Paradise. Tokyo: Mado-sha, 2008. ISBN 978-4-89625-091-6. Photographs of North Korea.
- Suo Sarumawashi. Santa Fe, N.M.: Photo-Eye, 2009. ISBN 09340927006.
- Love Point. Tokyo: Toseisha, 2010. ISBN 978-4-88773-103-5.
- Love Point. One Picture Book 66. Portland, OR: Nazraeli, 2010. ISBN 978-1-59005-302-7.
- Biography page on Watanabe's site. Accessed 2010-02-19.
- Kokunai puro no bu: Sagamihara shashinshō" (国内プロの部：さがみはら写真賞), in Sagamihara Sōgō Shashinsai Fotoshiti Sagamihara 2007 kōshiki gaidobukku (相模原市総合写真祭 フォトシティさがみはら2007 公式ガイドブック), pp. 5–10. This booklet is the official guidebook to Photo City Sagamihara 2007.
- Houston, Eastman, Santa Barbara: according to the biography in the Photo City Sagamihara 2007 booklet.
- Watanabe's site
- Hiroshi Watanabe's photographs can be purchased through Panopticon Gallery
- Hiroshi Watanabe on En Foco
- Garcia-Guzman, Miguel. "Hiroshi Watanabe". [EV+/-] Exposure Compensation, October 2007. An essay on Watanabe's work, generously illustrated with photographs.
- Records, Shawn. "Hiroshi Watanabe's Findings". 40 Watt. A review of Findings, generously illustrated with photographs.
- Watanabe preserves life in portraits, observations, Fotophile.com review of Watanabe's exhibition in Austin, Texas.
- Hiroshi Watanabe's exhibition: "Comedy of Duble Meaning" at Takeda Art Co [www.takeda-bijyutu.com]