Hirsty's Daily Dose
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (April 2013)|
|Other names||The Dose
The Capital Breakfast Show
|Running time||4 hours (6am to 10am)|
|Home station||Capital Yorkshire|
Joanne "JoJo" Kelly
|Recording studio||Leeds, West Yorkshire|
|Air dates||since 13 January 2003|
|Website||Hirsty's Daily Dose|
Hirsty's Daily Dose, also known as The Dose and The Capital Breakfast Show, is a radio breakfast show, currently airing on Capital Yorkshire. It is presented by Simon Hirst, Danny Oakes and Joanne "JoJo" Kelly (née Moorhouse), most often referred to as Hirsty, Danny and JoJo.
The show first aired on Galaxy 105 at 1305h on Sunday 13 January 2003. Simon Hirst and Danny Oakes moved from hosting the breakfast show on Viking FM in Kingston upon Hull, to join the Galaxy team to present their new breakfast show, covering the whole of Yorkshire, with current presenter JoJo.
The station was rebranded as Capital on 3 January 2011 as part of a merger of Global Radio's Galaxy and Hit Music networks to form the nine-station Capital radio network. The show and its presenters were retained at the relaunched station.
|2005||Sony Radio Academy Awards||Breakfast Show||Nominated|
|CRCA Awards||Commercial Radio Presenter(s) Of The Year||Won|
|2013||Sony Radio Academy Awards||Sony Golden Headphones Award||Nominated|
The show uses the following features in its broadcasts:
- Anonymous Confessional - A member of the public poses a question, which would only ever be answered anonymously. Listeners then send in their stories, which are read out during the show. This feature often has a warning read by Hirsty broadcast before it to warn people to the often adult nature of the feature.
- Clio Watch - The shows presenters, after consultation with their listeners decided that only women who were attractive drive Renault Clio cars. Listeners, therefore, can contact the show to advise the public on the location of a Clio driver. This feature has also spawned two spin offs: The first, Trophy Wife Watch has listeners on the lookout for young, attractive women who drive cars that it is perceived they cannot afford to own and are therefore in a relationship with a man who is funding her lifestyle, making her a Trophy wife. The second, Fitty 500 launched as a counter claim to Clio Watch, in which it states that attractive women drive a Fiat 500 and not Renault Clios.
- Friday Live - Members of the public are invited to be live guests on the show on Friday mornings and go behind the scenes of the show. Friday live guests often also appear on the podcast when it is recorded on a Friday.
- He Said, She Said - an in jest agony aunt feature in which a listener sends in their dilemma for JoJo and Danny to give advise on. JoJo gives her answer first and is often quite practical. Danny's answer however is often an over the top response to the situation or a rant at the person asking for advise. This feature runs in a season, alternating with the Anonymous Confessional.
- Last thing; First thing - starting at approximately 6:20, this is the first feature played during the show. Listeners have to send in the last thing they thought about before they went to bed and the first thing they thought about when they got up. The response are read out around 6:40.
- Mindmasher - Brain teaser delivered by the show's producer, Luciano Giaimo, for listeners to text in their answers. Question often asked around 8:55 with the answer given around 9:10.
- Us Lot vs. You Lot - a listener plays a game against one of the shows presenters. Examples of games played include: a general knowledge quiz and a music quiz.
- Old Woman Game - a prank telephone call was sent from the station to a member of the public during which the voice of an elderly woman would speak a limited set of phrases with the aim of keeping the caller on the line for as long as possible. Two listeners would guess how long the call would last and the winner was whoever was closest to the actual call duration.
Hirsty's Daily Dose has had two podcasts in its history. Hirsty's Dosecast ran during the show's Galaxy days and ran to over 150 episodes. The current podcast, re-launched after the rebranding to Capital, is known as Hirsty's Overdose. The Overdose name was previously used as the name to the weekly highlights programme broadcast on Saturday mornings. The format of the podcast is quite straightforward, often consisting of the best bits of the show from the past week, along with some original content, some of which is often only suitable for a podcast.
- Simon Hirst, Danny Oakes, Joanne Kelly. "Hirsty's Overdose 33". http://www.capitalfm.com/yorkshire/on-air/breakfast/show-blog/hirstys-overdose-podcast/ (Podcast). Capital Yorkshire. Event occurs at 10 minutes, 4 seconds in. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "SIMON HIRST, BREAKFAST HOST, CAPITAL FM", Blink Management (blinkmanagement.co.uk), retrieved 15 April 2013
- Global Radio takes Capital national, Brand Republic, 13 September 2010
- Local Capital line-ups revealed, RadioToday, 16 November 2010