March 29, 1956 |
|Spouse(s)||Mari Mizutani[ja 1] (1990–present)|
|Eguchi Hisashi - Kotobuki Studio|
|Part of a series on|
|Anime and Manga|
|Anime and Manga Portal|
Hisashi Eguchi (江口寿史 Eguchi Hisashi?, born March 29, 1956) is a Japanese manga artist. He is regarded as one of Japan's most prominent female character illustrators. He made his professional manga debut with Forward!! Pirates[ja 2] in the manga anthology Weekly Shōnen Jump in 1977. Other notable works include Stop!! Hibari-kun![ja 3] (which became a popular anime TV series in 1983) and, more recently, the gag series Charamono[ja 4]. Eguchi married Japanese idol Mari Mizutani[ja 5] in 1990.
Hisashi began drawing at an early age, fascinated by the then-starting Japanese TV broadcasting. He got to know manga through Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy. During his childhood, other superheroes like Ultraman and Ultra Seven also gripped him.
In 1977, he won the Young Jump award (Twelve Newcomers Manga Award[ja 6] since 2003) for "Terrible children"[ja 7]. That same year, his "Duel at half-past eight"[ja 8] was finalist at Akatsuka. The publication of Hisashi's baseball manga "Forward!! Pirates" followed in 1979 as a reward for winning the Young Jump contest.
After deciding to become a professional manga artist, Eguchi began drawing female characters: "I thought it was strange not to have girls. Also, I knew that it would be popular if the girls were cute". By the time he started Stop!! Hibari-kun!, there was a romantic comedy boom in shonen manga. However, his dislike of plotless stories made him emphasize a sarcastic tone, reflected not only with words but also by the cartoon itself: "the images too, they draw in a way that you can see that it is comedy manga right away".
In the animation field, he worked as a character designer for Roujin Z and Spriggan. Eguchi used his now current wife as a model for Roujin Z's Haruko. Perfect Blue characters were based on Hisashi's designs. In 1990, the short stories manga "Nantoka Narudesho!"[ja 9] was adapted into an OVA, which mixed anime, live action and puppetry.
Hibari-kun creator stated American Pop art has been an influence on his work, citing artists such as Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol. Hisashi describes his style as simple: "I like to use organized lines. The less lines the better".
In 1994, Eguchi founded Comic Cue, an alternative yearly manga magazine: "I wanted to make something like the all-star game in baseball. Or Avengers. All-hero, I wanted to have a festival of Avengers. All the heroes! With all my favorite artists". Katsuhiro Otomo was a contributor to the first issue.
Eguchi's eye on beauty and fashion has granted him several jobs on advertising:
- Real Wine Guide[ja 10] covers.
- Flyers to promote his home town, Minamata.
- Hisashi Eguchi x atré "My Favorite Town. Kichijoji".
- CD Jackets: "Shit Happening", mini album "Lodge"; "Ging Nang Boyz", album "young alive in love".
- Denon D-F07 manual cover.
- Denny's Japan.
- Kanebo Ltd. Xanax.
- Acer Inc. Intel Core i5.
- Renai Koza Real Age[ja 11] PlayStation game.
- Several telephone card designs.
- 水谷麻里 Mizutani Mari
- すすめ!!パイレーツ Susume!! Pairētsu
- ストップ!! ひばりくん! Sutoppu!! Hibari-kun!
- キャラ者 Kyara mono
- 水谷麻里 Mizutani Mari
- 十二傑新人漫画賞 Jū ni suguru shinjin manga shō
- 恐るべき子ども達 Osorubeki kodomotachi
- 8時半の決闘 Hachi jihan no kettō
- 江口寿史のなんとかなるでショ! Eguchi Hisashi No Nantoka Narudesho!
- リアルワインガイド Riaru wain gaido
- 恋愛講座 リアルエイジ Renai Kōza Real Age
- Wiedemann, Julius. "Hisashi Eguchi". In Amano, Masanao. Manga Design. Taschen. p. 126. ISBN 9783822825914.
- Baio, Al (2013). "Hisashi Eguchi Interview". Sex Magazine (3).
- Pasamonik, Didier (7 May 2006). "Kana lance la revue de mangas "Comic Cue" en France" [Kana launches "Comic Cue" manga magazine in France]. Actua BD: Magazine quotidien d'actualité de la bande dessinée (in French). Actua BD.
- Van Huffel, Peter (17 January 2004). "Ootomo Katsuhiro 大友克洋". PRISMS: Promotion of Really Interesting but Seldom seen Manga Series (Formerly the Usenet Manga Guide).
- "Real Wine". Real Wine Guide.
- "Denny's Restaurant". yeahsaikeung.
- "カネボウ化粧品 XANAX 江口寿史 1989". plantfolklore.
- "まんとくんの漫画家デビュー". trysmarter2011.