Historia (TV channel)
|Launched||January 31, 2000|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Bell TV||Channel 133 (SD)
Channel 1862 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 756 (SD)
Channel 232 (HD)
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings|
|FibreOP||Channel 619 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 124 (SD)
Channel 1124 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 425 (SD)
Channel 441 (HD)
Historia is a Canadian French language Category A specialty channel owned by Corus Entertainment. The network broadcasts programming related to history and historical fiction, and was formerly a sister network to the similar English-language network History Television.
Licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) as Canal Histoire to Alliance Atlantis and Premier Choix Networks (Astral), the channel was launched on January 31, 2000 as Historia.
On January 18, 2008, a joint venture between Canwest and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners known as CW media bought Alliance Atlantis and gained its interest in Historia. The new company also acquired Historia's English language equivalent, History Television (now History).
On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced that it would acquire Astral Media's stakes in Séries+ and Historia, as well as several other properties, under separate transactions with the two companies. The purchase was tied to Bell Media's pending takeover of Astral Media; an earlier proposal had been rejected by the CRTC in October 2012 due to concerns surrounding its total market share following the merger, but was restructured under the condition that the companies divest certain media properties. In a separate deal, Corus also acquired Shaw's interests in Séries+ and Historia, giving it full ownership. The deals were approved by the CRTC on December 20, 2013 and Corus become the full owner of the channel on January 1, 2014.
On October 21, 2014, Corus reached an agreement with A&E Networks to acquire French-language rights to programming from History, the U.S. counterpart of Historia's former English-language sister network. On March 9, 2015, the network was re-launched under History's logo and branding, although the network still carries the Historia name.
- Decision CRTC 99-111
- Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media
- CRTC approves Shaw’s purchase of the Canwest Global television properties
- "Bell moves closer to Astral with sale of TV assets". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Corus Entertainment (2013-03-04). "Corus Entertainment Expands Interests in French-language Specialty Television Market through Major Deals with Bell and Shaw Media". Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-738". CRTC. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Completes Purchase of Historia, Séries+ and TELETOON Canada Inc". Corus Entertainment. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Historia: new logo, new look, new shows!". Corus Entertainment. 2015-03-09. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- Historia (French)