Historical fiction is a literary genre in which the action takes place in the past. It is an ambiguous term. because while it frequently is used as a synonym for the historical novel it is also applied to plays and films.
The settings are drawn from history, and often contains historical persons. Works in this genre often portray the manners and social conditions of the persons or times presented in the story, with attention paid to period detail.
Historical fiction presents people and events from the point of view of characters of the time period depicted titles. Artistic license is permitted in regard to presentation, subject matter, and historical facts.
The Historical Novel Society defines the genre as works "written at least fifty years after the events described". Sarah Johnson further delineates such novels as "set before the middle of the last [20th] century ... in which the author is writing from research rather than personal experience." Lynda Adamson, in her preface to the bibliographic reference work World Historical Fiction, states that while a "generally accepted definition" for the historical novel is a novel "about a time period at least 25 years before it was written". Adamson also suggests that some people view a novel as historical if it is about a past time period, even if the author was writing about his or her own time. She gives Jane Austen as an example of this.
- Alternate history
- Historical fiction awards
- Epic film
- Historical fantasy
- Historical romance
- Historical whodunnit
- "Search - Encyclopedia Britannica". Britannica.com. Retrieved 2013-10-12.
- Richard Lee. "Defining the Genre".
- Sarah L. Johnson. Historical Fiction: A Guide to the Genre. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited, 2005, p. 1.
- Adamson, Lynda G. (1999). World Historical Fiction. Phoenix, AZ: Orxy Press. p. xi. ISBN 9781573560665.
- Shaw, Harry E. The Forms of Historical Fiction: Sir Walter Scott and His Successors. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1983.
|Look up historical fiction in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Historical Fiction recommended reading
- Historical Fiction database, divided by time period.
- Audio Archives from "Historical Fiction and The Search for Truth"- 2009 Key West Literary Seminar
- The Historical Novel Society - Historical Novel Society an international organization for historical fiction writers and readers
- Defining the Genre: What are the rules for historical fiction? from the Historical Novel Society
- Historical Fiction Festival Annual event in Summerhall, Edinburgh, for writers and audiences to discuss historical fiction.