Historical Museum of Kraków
The Historical Museum of the City of Kraków (Polish: Muzeum Historyczne Miasta Krakowa ) in Kraków, Lesser Poland, was granted the status of an independent institution in 1945. Originally, it was a branch of the Old Records Office of Kraków, in operation from 1899.
The Historical Museum is made up of 14 divisions scatered around the city, including its main branch as well as Old Synagogue, Schindler's Factory, Under the Eagle Pharmacy, Pomorska street Gestapo prison, Hipolit Manor, Town Hall Tower, Barbakan, Defensive Walls, Celestat, Muzeum of Nowa Huta, Zwierzyniecki Manor, Under the Cross Manor, and the Main Market Square tunnels. The divisions preserve and display artifacts of the history of the city, the history of Jews, the history of the theatre and many others.
The Museum holdings include sixteenth through twentieth century city maps, paintings, prints, photographs, guild objects and works by Kraków artists and artisans, as well as portraits of nobility from the sixteenth to the twentieth century; fourteenth through twentieth century weapons; a collection of sixteenth through twentieth century clocks; famous Kraków nativity scenes (szopka); artifacts related to theatre; Judaica; items commemorative of the Polish uprisings of the nineteenth century and of World War I and II.
The Museum houses a permanent exhibit of the History and Culture of Kraków, a collection of the militaria (projectiles, firearms, defense and sharp weapons), clocks and watches. The Town Hall Tower in the Main Market Square is the venue of the Photographs of the Market Square exhibition.
Since 1999, under the Museum's jurisdiction is the Barbakan, one of the best known examples of medieval defense structures in Poland, whose interior is made accessible to tourists each summer.
- Main Branch at Krzysztofory Palace
- Town Hall Tower
- Kraków barbican (Barbakan)
- Defensive Walls with St. Florian's Gate
- Old Synagogue Museum of Jewish History and Culture
- Schindler's Factory
- Tadeusz Pankiewicz Under the Eagle Pharmacy
- Pomorska street Gestapo prison
- Hipolit Manor
- Under the Cross Manor (under renovation as of March 2008)
- History of the Nowa Huta Muzeum
- Zwierzyniecki Manor
- Main Market Square tunnels
Main branch location: Main Market Square (Rynek Główny) 35, Kraków
- Opening hours: Thursday 11am-6pm, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and the second Tuesday of each month 9am-3pm; Closed: Monday and every other Tuesday, and the second Saturday of the month.
- Szołayski Museum
- Under the Cross Manor (History of Theatre)
- Hipolit Manor
- Celestat, the Residence of Sharpshooters’ Society
- Artistic Salon of the District of Zwierzyniec
- Museum of National Remembrance at "Under the Eagle Pharmacy"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Historical Museum in Kraków.|
- Official website
- Article about the Museum at www.culture.pl
- www.JewishKrakow.net Information on the Old Synagogue as well as information on Kazimierz, Kraków's Jewish quarter