History (European TV channel)
|Launched||11 November 1995
1 November 1999 (Ireland)
15 November 2004 (Germany)
17 October 2007 (Netherlands)
|Owned by||A+E Networks UK (A+E Networks/BSkyB)|
|Picture format||16:9, 576i (SDTV)
0.1% (+1) (September 2014 , BARB)
|Slogan||Made Every Day|
|Broadcast area||Arab World, Balkans, Benelux, Central Europe & Eastern Europe, Iberian Peninsula, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Scandinavia, United Kingdom|
|Headquarters||Brentford, West London (UK and Pan-Europe)
Munich (Germany, Austria & Switzerland)
Madrid (Spain & Portugal)
|Formerly called||The History Channel (1995-2008)|
|Timeshift service||History +1|
|VuTV||Channel 238 on Freeview (UK)|
|Sky (UK & Ireland)||Channel 529 (SD/HD)
Channel 530 (+1)
Channel 545 (SD)
|NOVA Greece (Greece)||Channel 404|
|Sky Deutschland||Channel 407 (HD)
|Canal+ (Spain)||Channel 35|
|Sky Italia||Channel 407 (SD/HD)
Channel 408 (+1)
|Digiturk||Channel 188 (SD/HD)
|DStv (South Africa)||Channel 186|
|Virgin Media (UK)||Channel 234
Channel 235 (+1)
On Demand (including HD)
|Smallworld Cable (UK)||Channel 529
Channel 530 (+1)
|UPC Ireland||Channel 217
Channel 220 (HD)
|WightFibre (UK)||Channel 82|
Channel 306 (SD/HD)
Channel 306 (SD)
Channel 62 (HD)
|Ziggo (Netherlands)||Channel 206 (HD)
|UPC Austria||Channel 531|
|ONO (Spain)||Channel 91|
|R (Spain)||Channel 53|
|TeleCable (Spain)||Channel 22|
|Euskaltel (Spain)||Channel 55|
|NOS (Portugal)||Channel 112|
|Cabovisão (Portugal)||Channel 24|
|BT (UK)||Channel 432
Channel 452 (HD)
|MaxTV (Croatia)||Channel 104|
|KPN (Netherlands)||Channel 389|
|Movistar TV (Spain)||Channel 84|
|MEO (Portugal)||Channel 123|
|Optimus Clix (Portugal)||Channel 134|
|TalkTalk Plus TV (UK)||Channel 432|
|Sky Go||Watch live (UK & Ireland only)|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
|UPC Horizon||Watch live (Netherlands only)
Watch live (Ireland only)
History (formerly known as The History Channel UK) is a pan-European television channel broadcasting programs related to historical events and persons, owned by a joint-venture between A+E Networks, owner of the American History, and British Sky Broadcasting, the UK's largest pay-TV provider. AMC Networks International DMC is responsible for the signal distribution across mainland Europe and the subsidiaries of AMC Networks International are the distribution representatives across Europe. Its programming is mainly in English and locally subtitled or dubbed. It is available through numerous satellite, cable, terrestrial and IPTV distributors across Europe and the Middle East. In some countries the advertisement and the announcements between programs are localized.
There are specific versions for Germany, Italy and Spain & Portugal:
- History Germany, a joint venture between A+E Networks and NBC Universal Global Networks Germany
- History Italy, a joint venture between A+E Networks and Fox International Channels Italy
- Canal de História (also called História), the The History Channel Iberia joint venture between A+E Networks and AMC Networks International Iberia
The channel launched in November 1995 under the name The History Channel and was the first version of History to launch outside the United States. It was first broadcast from the crowded transponder 47 on the Astra 1C satellite, where it would broadcast for four hours between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. on weekdays. Among the channels it shared the transponder with were Sky Travel, Sky Soap, Sky Sports 2 and Sci-Fi Channel.
In 1997, Sky Sports 2 became a full-day channel and the channels that time-shared with it had to move. The History Channel would now share transponder 24 with Sky Soap and Sci-Fi Channel.
The History Channel launched in Scandinavia in September 1997, broadcasting for three hours per day on the Analogue Viasat platform. Initially time-sharing with TV1000 Cinema, it was later moved to the Swedish TV8 channel and continued broadcasting there until November 2004 when Viasat launched their own history channel, Viasat History, in the Nordic region and closed down the History Channel.
On 26 October 2006, The History Channel HD launched in the United Kingdom and Ireland. A high-definition version of the History Channel was launched in the Nordic region on 13 December 2007. It offers a separate schedule to the standard-definition version. In January 2008, The History Channel HD launched in the Netherlands.
The company behind the channel was known as The History Channel ( UK ) Limited until July 2009, when it was renamed AETN UK to reflect the fact that the company now offers several channels. On 22 September 2011, AETN UK was rebranded as A+E Networks UK.
A+E Networks UK operations
Since the launch of History, the company has extended its line-up with:
- Bio. in October 2000 until 4 November 2013
- CI on 10 July 2006
- Crime & Investigation Network Africa on 26 February 2007
- History HD on 26 October 2006
- History Africa on 1 December 2003
- Military History on 28 July 2008 until 4 May 2013
- H2 on 4 May 2013, replacing Military History
- Lifetime on 4 November 2013, replacing Bio.
In the German-speaking countries History is operated and run by The History Channel Germany GmbH & Co. KG, a joint venture between A+E Networks and NBC Universal Global Networks Germany. The channel launched as The History Channel on 15 November 2004 and changed its name into History on 11 January 2009.
On satellite, the channel was available on Arena. It was not available on Premiere, until that platform was renamed Sky on 4 July 2009. At the same time History HD, a high-definition version of the channel, was launched.
The channel also hosts the "History-Award", which has been given annually since 2005.
Canal de História
Since 1996, History is operated and distributed under the name of Canal de História or in short História by AMC Networks International Iberia in Spain and Portugal through its agreement with A+E Networks, owner of History. the channel had a feed in Spanish and another in Portuguese and it co-produced local history programming, including Combatentes do Ultramar (2003), Overseas fighters dedicated to the Portuguese colonial war. It split into two sister channels for each country and the Portuguese version of História became available in Angola, Cape Verde and Mozambique.
- Richard Lambert and Sarah Whyte (April 10, 2012). "Chello DMC Announces "TV without Boundaries"". Chello DMC.
- "History Channel UK Appoints Chello Zone As Distribution Representative". 4rfv.co.uk. February 6, 2008.
- "Report from the Sat-UK mailing list: Report #98". Web link.
- Jarco Kriek (October 17, 2007). "A&E Television Network breidt uit in Europa". Totaal TV.
- "THE HISTORY CHANNEL HD TO LAUNCH IN SCANDINAVIA" (Press release). AETN International. October 8, 2007.
- Robert Briel (November 14, 2007). "History Channel HD to launch in Holland". Broadband TV News.
- "History Channel rebranded 'History'". Digital Spy. November 19, 2008.
- Jan-Hein Visser (December 19, 2008). "History Channel heet nu HISTORYTM". Totaal TV.
- "The History Channel UK Changes Name to AETN UK". AETN International. 2 July 2009.
- "AETN UK rebrands as A+E Networks UK". Broadband TV News. 22 September 2011.
- "The History Channel ab Januar in neuem Gewand". Digital Fernsehen. December 19, 2008.
- Official Site Belgium
- Official Site Germany
- Official Site Italy
- Official Site Netherlands
- Official Site Portugal
- Official Site Spain
- Official Site South Africa
- Official Site United Kingdom