The society was founded in 1879 and currently owns and maintains thirteen historic sites and museums at ten locations around the state. It is both a nonprofit agency and a part of the state department of higher education. The Colorado Historical Society is an affiliate within the Smithsonian Affiliations program  and is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. The central offices of History Colorado are based in Denver.
Historic sites and museums
History Colorado administers the following historic sites and museums:
- History Colorado Center, Denver
- Byers-Evans House Museum, Denver
- El Pueblo History Museum, Pueblo
- Fort Garland Museum and Pike's Stockade, Fort Garland
- Fort Vasquez Museum, Platteville
- Georgetown Loop Historic Mining & Railroad Park, Georgetown
- Grant-Humphreys Mansion, Denver
- Healy House Museum and Dexter Cabin, Leadville
- Trinidad History Museum, Trinidad
- Ute Indian Museum, Montrose
- Pearce-McAllister Cottage, Denver
Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation
The Colorado Historical Society's Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (OAHP) oversees a number of program areas:
- The Colorado State Register of Historic Properties
- The State Historical Fund. The fund was created in 1990 through a state constitutional amendment allowing limited gaming in the towns of Black Hawk, Central City, and Cripple Creek. A proportion of the tax revenues from gaming is used for historic preservation in Colorado. Applications for projects for potential funding are assessed through a competitive process.
- Kyle MacMillan, Stephen Batura's art envisions a forgotten Colorado. The Denver Post, 10/23/2009.
- Tom Noel, Noel: Remembering Colorado's "windbag". The Denver Post, 10/11/2009.
- Sara Gandy, Historical society's library closes in preparation for move, 9NEWS.com, 2009.
- Tina Griego, Griego: Spirited duo bring history to life. The Denver Post, 10/27/2009.
- Magdalena Wegrzyn, Church to restore 88-year-old stained glass. Longmont Times-Call, 10/30/2009.
- About CHS, Colorado Historical Society, USA.
- Tom Noel, Noel: Where the ghost of A.E. still roams, The Denver Post, 10/25/2009.
- Article, Telluride Daily Planet, 10/14/2009.
- "History Colorado Becomes Smithsonian Affiliate". Community News. Denver Metro Newswire. 2010. Retrieved 15 Jul 2011.
- Historic sites, Colorado Historical Society, USA.
- Program Areas, Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, Colorado Historical Society, USA.
- Colorado State Register of Historic Properties. Colorado Historical Society Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 10-8-2011.
- State Historical Fund, Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, Colorado Historical Society, USA.