Hard to Be a God (2013 film)
|Hard to Be a God|
|Directed by||Aleksei German|
|Written by||Aleksei German
Hard to Be a God (Russian: Трудно быть богом, translit. Trudno byt' bogom) is a 2013 Russian science fiction film directed by Aleksei German. Based on the novel Hard to Be a God by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.
Filming processed since autumn 2000 (Czech Republic) up to 3 August 2006 (Lenfilm studios, Saint Petersburg, Russia). After the lengthy editing and post-production stage, the film was premiered at the 2013 Rome Film Festival (out of competition).
Film was reported to be renamed to the History of the Arkanar Massacre (Russian: История арканарской резни). The press has also mentioned alternative title The Carnage in Arkanare, and a film script published under the title "What said the tobacconist from Tobacco Street".
Later German changed the title of the movie back to HARD TO BE A GOD.
On another planet, which goes through its Middle Ages, a group of historians from Earth live pretending to be average people. The main character, known as Don Rumata, is disgusted by cruelties he observes on everyday basis but is prohibited by his superiors from interfering and thus changing the natural course of history of the planet. The only thing the historians have a right to do is to protect and help few individuals who seem to be different from everybody else and can benefit the entire planet through their knowledge and ideas. Rumata has to find one of these people, Budakh, and rescue him from the hands of Don Reba, a grey cardinal ruling for a weak king and later, an insane tyrant.
- Leonid Yarmolnik – Don Rumata
- Dmitri Vladimirov
- Laura Pitskhelauri
- Aleksandr Ilyin – Arata
- Yuri Tsurilo – Don Pampa
- Yevgeni Gerchakov – Budakh
- Aleksandr Chutko – Don Reba
- Oleg Botin – Bucher
- Pyotr Merkuryev
- Bykov, Dmitry (2008-03-03). "Надежда для Арканара". Ogoniok (in Russian) №10 (5037).
- Saveliyev, Dmitry (2008-03-28). "Быть или не быть богом". Vedomosti (in Russian) №56 (2078). Retrieved 2009-03-07.
- German, Aleksei; Svetlana Karmalita (2006). "Что сказал табачник с Табачной улицы" и другие киносценарии (in Russian). St. Peterburg: Amfora; Seans. p. 720. ISBN 5-367-00232-3.
- Hard to Be a God at the Internet Movie Database
- (Russian) 18 frames of the film (black and white)
- (Russian) A fragment of the director's screenplay
|This article related to Russian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This science fiction film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|