Hit So Hard
|Hit So Hard|
|Directed by||P. David Ebersole|
|Produced by||Todd Hughes
|Music by||Roddy Bottum|
|Editing by||P. David Ebersole|
|Studio||The Ebersole Hughes Company
Tight Ship Productions
|Distributed by||Well Go USA
|Running time||103 minutes|
Hit So Hard is a 2011 American documentary film directed by P. David Ebersole, which premiered at SXSW and New Directors/New Films. The film focuses on the life and near death story of Patty Schemel, most notable as the drummer of Courtney Love's seminal rock band 'Hole' during its peak years. The film weaves together Schemel’s Hi8 videos filmed during her tenure with the band with contemporary interviews with her, her bandmates and other musicians. The film's score is written by Roddy Bottum of Faith No More. It was produced by Todd Hughes and Christina Soletti and was released theatrically in North America in 2012 by Well Go USA via Variance Films 
The title is a reference to a song in Hole's album Celebrity Skin.
- Patty Schemel
- Melissa Auf der Maur
- Eric Erlandson
- Courtney Love
- Nina Gordon of Veruca Salt
- Kate Schellenbach of Luscious Jackson
- Gina Schock of The Go-Go's
- Alice de Buhr of Fanny
- Debbi Peterson of The Bangles
- Izzy of Care Bears on Fire
- Roddy Bottum of Faith No More
- Dallas Taylor
- Sarah Vowell
- Larry Schemel of Midnight Movies
- Terry Schemel
- Joe Mama-Nitzberg
In archival footage:
Awards and Distinctions 
- 2011: Opening Night Film at Beat Film Festival in Moscow
- 2011: Won Jury Award for Best Documentary (Honorable Mention) at Frameline Film Festival
- 2011: Documentary Centerpiece Gala at Outfest
- 2011: Closing Night Film at Birmingham Shout at the Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival
- 2011: Won Audience Award - Sight & Soundtrack at Philadelphia FIlm Festival
- 2012: Nominated for Outstanding Documentary for the 24th GLAAD Media Awards
Theatrical Release 
- Hit So Hard opened at New York City's Cinema Village on April 13, 2012 before playing in theaters in a limited release around the United States and Canada, via WellGo USA and Variance Films .
- Hit So Hard was released theatrically in Japan via King Records : it opened in Tokyo at Theater N on April 28, 2012.
- Hit So Hard was released theatrically in the UK via Peccadillo Pictures: it opened in London at ICA London on November 16, 2012.
- Steve Dollar (25 March 2011). "Documentary Brings Members of Hole Back Together". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Lina Lecaro (25 July 2011). "Death, Drugs and Rock n' Roll- "Don't Knock The Rock's" Timely Glimpse into Musicians' Triumphs and Tragedies". LA Weekly. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Gregg Kilday (13 July 2011). "Rights to the Patty Schemel Doc 'Hit So Hard' Go to Well Go USA". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 December 2011.