Hitcents is a technology-based creative agency in Bowling Green, Kentucky specializing in web design, application development and mobile games. Hitcents was established by twin brothers Chris and Clinton Mills in 1999.
- 1 History
- 2 Divisions
- 3 Services
- 4 Shanghai Office
- 5 Timeline
- 6 External links
- 7 References
As high school sophomores, Chris and Clinton started Hitcents, which at the time was a company focused in internet advertising. When the company first began, Hitcents paid clients on a cents-per-hit basis, hence the company name. Hitcents was acquired by Houchens Industries in 2003. Since 2004, Hitcents has grown from three employees to 50, and it occupies 13000 sqft of the 4th floor Hitcents Park Plaza commercial wrap.
- To adjust to the ever-changing technology market, Hitcents has been reinvented several times to best meet the needs of their clients and to stay current in the technology industry. Hitcents is well known for their award-winning website development services in their home town and internationally for their mobile apps. The scope of the business includes application development, solutions for ecommerce, technology, marketing, creative design, software development, production, automation, self-service checkout, enterprise resource planning and much more.
Today Hitcents is run by twins Clinton and Chris Mills and their father Ed Mills. Hitcents was named one of the best places to work in Kentucky for 2014
EyeOn Automation creates automation solutions for homes and businesses. EyeOn Automation features a fully functioning self-contained intelligence system for homes and businesses. The system integrates sophisticated video and audio distribution, touch screen technology, customized security and surveillance equipment along with specialized devices and Infrared programming.
EyeOn Automation originated when Ed Mills, a partner and founding member of Hitcents began building a new luxury home. Mr. Mills wanted his new home to embrace the high-end technology savvy[clarification needed] of the company. The engineers at Hitcents seized the opportunity to create a fully functioning residential and commercial automation system.
Omniprise ERP Software
Omniprise is a full-service, customizable software suite for enterprise resource planning. Information gathered in a single central repository is available to every part of an enterprise for use in all applications from simple data mining to mission-critical decision making.
Utopia Self-Service Checkout
Utopia was patented as the first convertible checkout unit, allowing a traditional cashier lane to be converted into a self-checkout unit and vice versa in minutes. Utopia can be connected to existing checkout lanes in a store, and therefore doesn't impact a store's layout.
Utopia also utilizes biometric authentication for store attendant access and customer loyalty programs. The thumb scanner eliminates the need for keys or cards to access the system. Mobile Attendant Stations allow self-checkout attendants to approve purchases or reset problems that arise with a mobile handheld device. Utopia allows for upgrades for future technology and capabilities; customers just add a module instead of buying a whole new product.
Hitcents web development solutions include graphic design, programming and maintenance, administrative access, eCommerce, data transfer and website hosting. Hitcents web department has been recognized over the years with numerous awards for their website work including Marcom Awards, Davey Awards and Communicator Awards. Hitcents designs websites for local businesses, celebrities, and international brands such as Tampico.
VPN services allow facilities to share data between remote locations. This allows for a high level of security while providing convenience to facilities. This also limits geographical barriers and decreases fixed costs for many different applications.
Each computer can be on the network no matter the location. If a company has a central office in one location and branches or smaller stores in other places, Hitcents sets up and maintains a VPN network at all locations and provides instant broadband access.
Encompassing all design aspects such as logos, print and web, Hitcents creates brand images that influence and generate value for customers.
Hitcents is also equipped with full video services including shooting, editing and production for a variety of content. Hitcents video department is suited for producing commercials, web videos, radio, long form informational videos, and product demonstrations.
Mobile Application Development
Hitcents develops mobile applications for both in-house and client projects. These applications vary in genre: from mobile games to enterprise level business applications. Hitcents worked with Sony Music to develop the One Direction scrapbook app which earned a 5 star rating with over 1300 reviews. The success of the 1D app and companion website has also earned nominations in the Social, Content, Media and Entertainment categories at the upcoming CTIA Emerging Technology Awards.
Internally, Hitcents created the internationally recognized and award-winning series, Draw a Stickman. Started as a website, Drawastickman.com was developed into a mobile application available on iOS, Android, Windows 7 and 8 phones, Windows 8, Kindle, Mac and Steam.
In fall 2013, Hitcents opened their first international office, in Shanghai China The Shanghai office specializes in publishing mobile games for the Chinese market and their platforms. The office is located in the prestigious Luwan District, home to famous boulevards, international fashion and high-class restaurants. President Chris Mills is in China overseeing operations in the Shanghai office. Hitcents is working with top industry leaders to translate and culturize games for the Chinese market.
- 1999: Hitcents is founded.
- 2000: Hitcents has 10,000 member websites delivering over three million banner impressions a day for online advertisers.
- 2001: In response to the dot-com crash, Hitcents develops a proprietary line of products to run ads on their existing member websites.
- 2001: Develops an online web marketing tracking system that would monitor clients’ ROI in real-time.
- 2002: Introduces web department services, leading to the development of over 40 functional websites by 2004.
- 2002: Begins developing technical infrastructures and software development initiatives for many local and national corporations.
- 2002: In December, Hitcents has its ribbon cutting as the first company to renovate space in Western Kentucky University’s Center for Research and Development.
- 2003: Houchens Industries, a two billion dollar corporation and the largest ESOP in the world, acquires Hitcents, bringing a technology firm into their family of companies.
- 2004: March: Hitcents hires its first employee.
- 2004: November: Hitcents office expands to make room for 11 employees.
- 2005: Hitcents now has 21 employees, 5,500 square feet (510 m2) of office space and continues to grow.
- 2005 August: Hitcents presents EyeOn Automation, an intelligence system for homes and businesses.
- 2006 April: Hitcents starts self-service checkout initiative, partnering with Pan-Oston and bringing the total employee count to 32. Hitcents expands office to 9,000 square feet (800 m2) to allow for more space to grow.
- 2006 July: Hitcents launches Utopia product with Pan-Oston, the next generation of self-checkout lanes.
- 2006 August: Hitcents launches Omniprise ERP software division, offering complete software and hardware solutions for all larger business needs. Hitcents reaches 50 employees and expands to 10,000 square feet (1,000 m2) of space.
- 2006 September: Hitcents launches Ticket Kiosk program with Western Kentucky University.
- 2007 June: Hitcents launches BlueCotton.com, a Flash website for designing and ordering t-shirts on the web. BlueCotton.com is recognized as Adobe's Site of the Day.
- 2007 August: Hitcents is listed 191 of the 500 fastest growing companies by Inc. magazine. Chris and Clinton Mills are also named fifth in the top CEO’s under 30 years old by Inc.
- 2007 November: Hitcents' EyeOn Automation division was called upon by ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to assist with installing special voice activated electronic features for the Hughes Family of Louisville, Kentucky.
- 2007 November: The first Utopia self-checkout convenience store unit was installed in a Jr. Food store in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
- 2008 February: Hitcents' Omniprise website is launched to showcase the innovate enterprise resource planning software.
- 2008 May: Utopia self-checkout units were installed at Strack & Van Til supermarkets in the Chicago area.
- 2008 October: Hitcents enterprise resource planning software Omniprise is launched. Omniprise is deployed for checkout counter manufacturer Pan-Oston and Ford's Furniture.
- 2011 Hitcents wins Business Innovation Award from the Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce.
- 2011 Hitcents develops www.drawastickman.com.
- 2012 Draw A Stickman is named one of the best websites of 2011.
- 2012 May: Hitcents wins 3 Webby Awards - People's Voice Best Use of Motion Graphics and Viral Marketing of the Year, as well as the Webby Award for Best Use of Motion Graphics.
- 2012 June: Hitcents has groundbreaking for new office in downtown Bowling Green.
- 2012 October: Draw A Stickman: Epic is released.
- 2013 February: Harlem Shake app is released.
- 2013 May: Hitcents wins 2 Webby Awards - Webby winner in Handheld, and People's Voice winner in Tablet for Draw A Stickman: Epic.
- 2013 July: Hitcents signs lease for office Shanghai, China.
- 2013 July: Draw A Stickman: Epic is selected as one of the top 100 Android applications.
- 2013 August: Hitcents moves into new offices at Hitcents Park Plaza in downtown Bowling Green, next to the Bowling Green Ballpark.
- Minor, Robyn. BG Daily News http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/local/hitcents-employees-set-up-shop-in-wrap/article_fa78acf8-7892-5a2e-bfaa-0eb529946e7b.html. Retrieved Feb 10, 2014. Missing or empty
- . Davey Awards http://www.daveyawards.com/winners/list/?event=9&category=4&award=G. Retrieved 10 February 2014. Missing or empty
- "Best Places to Work KY". Kentucky Chamber.
- "2012 Platinum Winners". Marcom Awards.
- . Davey Awards http://www.daveyawards.com/winners/list/?l=H&event=&category=4&award=G. Missing or empty
- . Communicator Awards http://www.communicatorawards.com/winners/list/?l=H&event=7&category=8&award=E. Missing or empty
- B2B Work. Hitcents http://www.hitcents.com/b2b/work/one-direction
|url=missing title (help).
- "Signs Lease for Overseas Office". Hitcents.
- . Webby Awards http://winners.webbyawards.com/2012/web/website-features-and-design/best-use-of-animation-or-motion-graphics. Retrieved 10 February 2014. Missing or empty
- . South Central KY http://www.southcentralky.com/HitcentsGroundbreaking.aspx. Retrieved 10 February 2014. Missing or empty